Gemzar / Navelbine

Bill

Bill,

My husband received this combination. I don't know the dosage and don't remember the frequency, so I'm not much help there.

He got sick as soon as we got home with the first treatment, and after that took compazine before and after and the nausea/vomiting stopped. He had fatigue, too, but nothing compared to Taxotere/Carboplatin.

He had a little shrinkage in the lung tumor, but his bone mets started giving him trouble, and shortly after the radiation is when he started with Iressa.

The navelbine was given to him by slow injection. Navelbine is a vein irritant and has to have a nice wide-open vein to prevent burning. If it starts to burn, they have to start over in a different vein. He had some problems with this, and they had to restart the injection several times. They always heated his arm with a heating pad before starting the injection.

I have heard others on here that had major side effects with Gemzar, and others that had no trouble at all.

How did your onc visit go when you discussed the problems?

Peggy

Bill,

How did your onc visit go when you discussed the problems?

Peggy

////////////////////

Peggy :

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the appointment didn't go well. My wife's cancer has progressed, esp. in her lungs, and her med onc basically told her that it's curtains. He strongly suggested hospice w/o directly saying so but he did offer to switch her from Gemzar / carboplatin to Gemzar / Navelbine IF she wanted to give that a try ( no mention of Tarceva ). A surprising and upsetting attitude to hear from him considering that the Gemzar / carbo failure was her first-line tx. Without changing med oncs she doesn't have much choice but to try the Gemzar / Navelbine. But, I will watch developments closely as she has no more time to waste. Any worsening of symptoms or a bad scan and I stop the tx. Then, he either offers something like Tarceva or we will be forced to go elsewhere. ( This is why I asked the question about coordinating a switch in med oncs w/o a prolonged and dangerous delay in tx when time is so critical.

Bill