Just so darned tired...

MelanieLR

Hi all,

I feel like such a whiner but I just don't know what to do anymore. All I seem to feel like doing anymore is sleep. I sleep about 18-20 hours a day. My chemo has been over for about 5 weeks now & I feel worse than ever. I don't feel like eating any more, I run a fever off & on, I'm starting to lose my strength and I just feel like this is as good as it's going to get. Why did I go through all those treatments? This is not the quality of life I anticipated in exchange for giving a little over 6 months of the remainder of my life to treatments. Then my onc. cheerfully states that we've probably bought me 6 months. Wow, 6 months of 4 to 6 waking hours of misery. I'm wishing that either I never agreed to the treatment or that I had seen a different oncologist. In the beginning, I was comfortable with him. Then as new complaints would come up, I began to realize that he didn't give a hoot. By then, I was so far into treatment that I was afraid that changing onc's would be detrimental to the overall effectiveness of the treatment. I'm looking through my HMO directory for a new onc now but I'm afraid it may be too late. To anyone out there who starts to have bad feelings about your onc - RUN, don't walk to find another one.

Thanks for letting me vent,

Melanie

Melanie,

I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling so miserable. Have you had any follow up scans to see how the chemo did? I would be concerned at this point that you are still running a fever. Did your onc. ever change your antibiotics??

It's never too late to get a 2nd opinion. I'm glad you are searching for a new doctor. It's so very hard to stay positive when you feel so miserable. Please let us know if you find another dr.

TAnn

I too feel the fever should be examined. There is such thing as Tumor Fever so if there is still something there, maybe another ONC. is the way to go. Neither of my parents wanted to switch ONC's either after treatment was started but I sure wish I could have convinced them to do so.

please call your primary and see if he/she can recommend another one.

have you been checked for anemia or dehydration??

Hi Melanie, I was thinking about you today and wondering how you are. so sorry, to hear that you are feeling so poorly. The fever is certainly something that needs attention, like the others said. It is never too late to find another DR. Is there someone else maybe even in the practice you are currently going to? Otherwise, get someone that you can trust. I really hope you get feeling better very soon... I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers...keep us posted. gina

Melanie -

It is never to late to see someone else! I started with a new Oncologist after my treatment ended and wish I had found him sooner, maybe my treatment wouldn't have been so damn bad!

Please see someone and get all this straightened out! It shouldn't have to be this bad! I was tired after treatment but not sleeping 18-20 hours!

Hi, Melanie, I too think you should have one more opinion just so there will be no questions or regrets and who knows, one with a better attitude may be able to help you more.

About the tiredness, Jim asked the nurse why he feels so tired all the time. She said it is because his body is using all it's energy to fight the cancer. I don't know it that would be the same for you but an idea.

Margaret

Hi Melanie.

I must say, I felt like crap for a long time after treatment ended...still do. But in many ways it is getting better. There is a trade off, I think. I am still kickin', and so are you. At least you are alive to grumble about it!

I think though, that what you are saying about your onc. is valid. You need to have someone who will listen to you and try to help you to feel better. I had the same experience with the onc. who treated me. Made me sicker than a dog but was not available to help me to get better. In this instance, I believe that it was the almighty dollar that was the bottom line in this particular practice. (I have heard it from others in the profession as well)

Find a doc who will take care of you and a team that will help you to get back on your feet again. Being sick for as long as you have been, will make anyone go batty. Time to get better. And time to realize that it takes awhile for the body to heal after that onslaught. Just make sure you are getting some good nutrition for healing up and continue on with your drinking fluids.

And, I want to hear what the new onc. tells you about how to get better.

Any tricks up the sleeve that I have been missing?

I had started to go to physical therapy because I had muscle wasting. I did therapeutic hot water pool and land..strengthening and toning and aerobics. Do you add walking to your day? Try to find the time of day that you feel up to it. And rest. Do some and rest some.

Please let us know how all of this works out for you.

Melanie

I know what you mean ab out having bad feelings about Drs and quckly getting other ones. I had horrible Drs. and instead of finding new ones, I just avoided them all together.

But I finally decided I needed decent Drs and still had troulbe finding one, but I did. She is very good and that has helped a lot.

I am wondering how you are doing and hoping to hear from you soon.

love and fortitude

elaine

Melanie,

I agree with what everyone else has said: you need to have the fever evaluated and you need to find a doctor that you have confidence in - at least to get a second opinion. Also, have you looked in to any complementary therapies? They may help with your quality of life too.

Praying for you,

Jane