Need Some Advice

luvmydog2

First of all I go to see my Onc Tuesday. I had scans done Dec 29. Long time I know. I get the results Tuesday. I am doing ok I guess. I am tired etc but I suppose we all are. I get SOB easy too but I think this is not more than usual since my surgery in 2003. At times I have a slight ringing in my ears. This lasts not a few minutes but maybe hours. Can't really describe it but a real low humming sound sort of like a small motor running. I know I have not had a brain scan since my dx but am sure the PET covered brain during staging of my lung. My nose started bleeding yesterday while sitting still. Was not bad but scared me I guess. Blood pressure was fine. My wife felt like it was the "dry heat' that we use (electric heat pump). Had head ake for a few days but that passed.

Now another thing I wanted to mention is that I will prob be loosing my medical coverage 100%. Not sure about this but am pretty sure of it. I won't go into details but for you that live in TN you know what I am talking about. I am un insurable due to the lung surgery. No medical insurance will touch me. We all know of the cost of 1 CT scan. If I can hang on till Jan 2006 I will have Medicare Part A and B. Medicare is not the best but sure beats going to Dr and saying NO INSURANCE.

I won't see my Onc for 6 months unless he sees something (July). I don't expect to have any insurance then so any CT or anything other then x-ray will be out of question. What do I tell him now?.....Look Doc I want CT,Brain MRI, PET and anything else because when you see me again I may not have insurance to cover them??? This would not be right would it? Medicine....do I stockpile it while insurance will pay?

I did not mean to ramble or whine but wanted to see what everyone else might do. Thanks for listening.

Hi Bruce

I can't really answer your questions about insurance as we live in Oz and it's all different down here! Personally though, if I was you, if there was anything I was even slightly concerned about, I would get the tests done while I could.

As far as the ringing in your ears - I don't know if/when you last had chemo, but this is a very common side-effect of the platinum based chemotherapy agents. Mum describes her hearing impairment as sounding a bit like rushing water. Or it could be something like tinnitus.

As far as the nose-bleed and headaches - as you already know, could be nothing; could be something. More likely to be nothing! You don't have to have cancer to get a nose bleed or a headache, but of course, it should be mentioned when you see the Onc.

I wish you the best for Tuesday. Let us know when you get the results.

Karen

Bruce,

Talk to your doctor about your insurance concerns and ask about the tests. I'm sure with your diagnosis, "scans" are to be expected by the insurance you have for a bit longer...get all that you can, I guess. See if s/he can prescribe medication for at least three months out, try to time it so the day before you lose your insurance you are picking up another big supply.

I don't think it's illegal to use something that you've been paying for... Insurance is a gamble that is stacked against the purchaser, after all. For every one of us that "maxes" a policy, think of all those that only go to the doctor once a year and pay huge premiums every month... Oh, it's insane to NOT have insurance - but if you knew you would never get seriously sick, who the heck would want to pay for it? Car, house, life, medical.... With a crystal ball, we'd all be wealthier, huh?

Get what you can while someone else is keeping the costs down and paying for a bit of it. I DO know that uninsured persons are charged more, those with insurance get a "negotiated" rate, even if they pay out of pocket...

Good luck!

Becky

If your insurance will pay for 90 days at a time I would do what Becky said. As for the tests I would ask for them. It has been a while and if I were you I would want them anyway, even if my insurance was not going to lapse. I wish you the best of luck and hope that the ringing in your ears is from the chemo. I have small nose bleeds from the heat as well. Heat pumps do dry the air a great deal. I hope you are wrong about the insurance and that they find some way to keep you insured. Keeping you in my t houghts and prayers.

Nina

Bruce -

I can't answer your questions but want you to know that I have been thinking of you. Hope you are wrong about the insurance but am with everyone else - get what you can while you can. Will be looking to hear good news from you next week!

Much Love,

Amy

PS. My daughter suffers from severe nose bleeds, ones that take 1/2 hr to stop, and they are ususally caused by the dryness as well and of course the fact that she picks it :roll:

Hey Bruce!

O.K........we had a bit of a similar situation. Dad was not losing his coverage, but at the end of last year Dad had met his maximum out of pocket expense for the year. (Insurance was paying 100% on EVERYTHING at that point) Dad was having a few symptoms.

I went to the dr. with Dad. After Dr. S. talked with Dad, I said, "You know Dr. S., right now Dad's insurance is paying 100% on everything. If you were thinking of doing some scans right after the first of the year, it would really help us if we could get those done before the end of December." I then batted my eyelashes and said, "Oh, by the way, I made you some teacakes for Christmas." Dr. S. just smiled, shook his head and asked my Dad if I was always so subtle. Of course my Dad had to let Dr. S. know that I have always been pretty straight forward and was never afraid to ask for anything. We left the office that day with orders for a CT of the brain, chest and abdomen, an MRI of the spine and enough medicine to last my Dad until March. :wink:

Now, I couldn't tell you if it was my honesty, the eyelash batting or the teacakes that got us what we wanted, but we did get it. Just in case, you better have your wife whip up some teacakes or cookies. Also, she might want to wear a little extra mascara so that her eyelashes look marvelous when she is doing all of that "batting". :wink: Gee Bruce, aren't you glad I'm back to give you some good sound advice????? :?:?:lol:

I do hope and pray that your new symptoms are NOTHING.........just "one of those things that happen as we age gracefully". I'll be thinking of you!

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie

Bruce,

We did exactly what Angie described above. We hit our out-of-pocket earlier in the year, insurance was paying 100%, and we too wanted the scans before the end of the year and got them.

We didn't "get away with" the medicine idea, though. The onc wrote Iressa for a 90-day supply, but the ins. co. would only allow 30. Shoot! It really didn't surprise us, though. I told hubby it would be a miracle if the ins. co. would pay approx. $6,000-9,000, and we didn't get that miracle. LOL! Oh well, we tried. I had to write a pretty big check for the Jan. prescription.

Love,

Peggy

Hey Bruce,

There are probably 2 or 3 patients who ask the doc the same thing everyday. Most docs understand and are very receptive to helping out. Particularly when you are having new and unexplained symptoms.

Good luck with this, Bruce. You do the legwork, put it out there and whatever your physician decides will be your answer. If you do not ask, you will never know what the answer would have been. You would be kicking yourself for a long time if you were to keep silent.

In the dental field, the dentists are always trying to accomodate the patients' needs. This means doing work that is necessary in a shorter length of time. If everything is healthy, then there is no work to be done.

This is not unethical to help the patient maximize the use of their benefits.

All my best,

cindi o'h

Bruce,sorry you will soon mabe be in no insurance land.Connie and I have been without ins. since 3mos.before my diag.It certainly is no fun.I am fortunate as being a disabled vet I get care from the VA. but my wife

has no ins.now either and no one will take her without a small fortune and no existing conditions.

Ask your dr. for all the tests and tell him why.Most docs understand and will either help you or not,`depending on their political views of ins. cos.

You are not breaking any laws doing this.

Bruce...so sorry to hear about your insurance woes. It sounds as if you have gotten some very good suggestions from this board. Hope they help. Now...what part of Tennessee are you from? That picture of the old mill looks very familar. I was born and raised just outside of Knoxville.

Bruce,

Looked for any loopholes for you in the TN insurance situation. Sorry, I wasn't able to find any. However, I am holding the phone no. for a very influential person with the state. Maybe it could be some help to you when you get your ins. notice. Been holding it in case we need it. Keep it in mind. Take care.

Bruce,

I don't know what type of insurance problems you are having in TN, however I can tell you that in Texas they have what is called the Texas Health Risk Pool and it is administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield. I had to get this insurance for myself. They take anyone who has a preexisting condition as long as you had insurance within the last 63 days. I don't know if Tennessee has anything like that, but you could call a Insurance Sales Rep and he could let you know your options.

I agree with the others, get as many tests, etc. before your insurance runs out.

Good Luck,

TAnn

Hi Bruce,

If I were you I would have all of the scans done before TennCare is done away with, I like you am not sure exactly what is going to happen but I do know that I would have all the scans done. If you are experiencing headaches that is justification for having an MRI of your brain done which I can't believe you haven't had done, the PET scan does not pick up the brain and I don't trust a CT only for the brain. I was diagnosed with brain mets in Nov. and had surgery. Again I would get everything done that I could get done, I just had a PET and a brain MRI done this past week. Don't feel like you are doind something wrong if you do this, Bredesen is the one that is in the wrong here - I mean how could someone do this to so many sick people. I would call your dr. asap and get all the scans scheduled and done.

Elaine - I agree with you, if TN get away with doing this all other states will follow suit. I do feel like everyone should email the Governor.

Good Luck!

Carrie

Hi Bruce,

If I were you I would have all of the scans done before TennCare is done away with, I like you am not sure exactly what is going to happen but I do know that I would have all the scans done. If you are experiencing headaches that is justification for having an MRI of your brain done which I can't believe you haven't had done, the PET scan does not pick up the brain and I don't trust a CT only for the brain. I was diagnosed with brain mets in Nov. and had surgery. Again I would get everything done that I could get done, I just had a PET and a brain MRI done this past week. Don't feel like you are doind something wrong if you do this, Bredesen is the one that is in the wrong here - I mean how could someone do this to so many sick people. I would call your dr. asap and get all the scans scheduled and done.

Elaine - I agree with you, if TN get away with doing this all other states will follow suit. I do feel like everyone should email the Governor.

Good Luck!

Carrie

First of all I go to see my Onc Tuesday. I had scans done Dec 29. Long time I know. I get the results Tuesday. I am doing ok I guess. I am tired etc but I suppose we all are. I get SOB easy too but I think this is not more than usual since my surgery in 2003. At times I have a slight ringing in my ears. This lasts not a few minutes but maybe hours. Can't really describe it but a real low humming sound sort of like a small motor running. I know I have not had a brain scan since my dx but am sure the PET covered brain during staging of my lung. My nose started bleeding yesterday while sitting still. Was not bad but scared me I guess. Blood pressure was fine. My wife felt like it was the "dry heat' that we use (electric heat pump). Had head ake for a few days but that passed.

Now another thing I wanted to mention is that I will prob be loosing my medical coverage 100%. Not sure about this but am pretty sure of it. I won't go into details but for you that live in TN you know what I am talking about. I am un insurable due to the lung surgery. No medical insurance will touch me. We all know of the cost of 1 CT scan. If I can hang on till Jan 2006 I will have Medicare Part A and B. Medicare is not the best but sure beats going to Dr and saying NO INSURANCE.

I won't see my Onc for 6 months unless he sees something (July). I don't expect to have any insurance then so any CT or anything other then x-ray will be out of question. What do I tell him now?.....Look Doc I want CT,Brain MRI, PET and anything else because when you see me again I may not have insurance to cover them??? This would not be right would it? Medicine....do I stockpile it while insurance will pay?

I did not mean to ramble or whine but wanted to see what everyone else might do. Thanks for listening.

Most DEFINITLY tell them that you want the tests NOW while you have the insurance.

As to the meds, see if the doc will write for you to get what you can now while you're insured.

Now, if you're on disability, you should be eligible for medicaid, depending on the amount of $ you recieve per month.

If you're on medicaid, and they are cancelling it, you can appeal that decision as well!

Please get a brain MRI. The nose might have been nothing, but it could be something serious as well. Severe anemia can cause nose bleeds, as can low platelet counts. A workup is in order, sooner rather than later.

Best wishes

I would exactly do that. I would tell him your insurance situation and see

if he will give you as many tests as you can cram in. My onco Dr. is so

cool that way. He knows how the ins. co.'s control everything including the dr.s. All he can say is no. And you will be no worse off than you are

now. Take care and good luck!!!

I also say, explain the situation to your doctor. I bet they hear this stuff all the time, and I'm sure he wants you to get the best care, so he'll probably order all the tests in a more compressed fashion before your benefits run out.

I know that with my dental insurance, which isn't really too great, my dentist has always worked with me, spreading things out over the end of a new benefit period into the next benefit period when I start out new again. There's nothing wrong with it, and it really helps not to write those big checks unless it's absolutely necessary.

Good luck Bruce. I think it's bad enough that you have this constant cancer worry and should not have to add insurance worries on top of it.

Cindy

I want to thank everyone for your reply. The info was good. Angie....You didn't do all that did you? Tina, hang on to that number. Thanks for looking that link up Elaine. I am going to stop calling names now before I forget someone. Thanks everybody. You answers were what I was thinking of doing but part of me was saying to be honest and not take advantage of the insurance. I read an article in the Nashville Tennessean today that the Federal Court is blocking the Governor plan. What makes me really mad is that I pay a good premium and am not on Medicaid. If the plan goes through then I feel for the other 300.000 people. The paper has stated that 75% of them are elderly and/or on Medicare also. They are the ones I truley worry about.

Anyway, thanks again and I will let you know the results of my December CT. Has been a long wait but I feel if anything showed then Onc would have called. Thanks everyone.

Bruce

To answer your question.........YES. I shamefully admit that I did do all of those things in order for my Dad to get tested. I would do it again in a heart beat. I'll do ANYHTING to be sure that my Dad gets what he needs and what he wants. (even if it includes COOKING!!)

I sure hope you don't lose your insurance. I don't know much about the whole deal, but it sure smells stinky to me!! I also hope that you get those tests that you need.

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie