An Interesting PET Info Site

Fay A.

I am a little confused though. It seems to be saying that PET can identiry brain mets, but I was told that it is not reliable at all. Plus the images on the pages I looked at didn't seem to have any areas of uptake that aren't cancer, but my PET had several places that had uptake that were deemed probably not mets.

It still confuses me.

I am having plain radiographs of several areas Monday to be certain, I guess but not even sure that xrays will tell the tale.

elaine

Elaine,

One of the things I've learned over the years is that the images viewed by the docs appear to be much more clear than the copies I've received. Now that I obtain CDs of the studies, the images are much clearer. There are areas of uptake that are not considered malignant, and it's my understanding that the amount of uptake/intensity is assigned a value. If it falls within certain values it is considered a malignancy.

I was under the impression that PET technology was first used in Brain Studies. A PET Scan of the Brain is done with different settings, because the brain is always metabolically active. Done as a designated study PETs are very good at finding brain tumors, malignant and otherwise.

It's what was used to determine that my slow growing Meningioma is benign.

Oh, I guess I have never had a PET specific to the brain. Why dont they do them more often instead of MRI? Expensive? I misunderstood the info, and wondered why I hadnt ever seen pictures of my brain when I got PET results. Now I know.

Where did you get the reader for your scans? I cant read mine on my omputer.

Thanks

elaine

Elaine,

I can get the info for you, if your radiologists use the same program. It's a free download from Microsoft. The last CD we got, I couldn't read it either, because it required an update. I like to never found it, but I did. I'll get the info and put it on this thread shortly.

Love,

Peggy