Cancer Treatment Centers of America & ?s

rogfam

Is anyone currently using them, or maybe you have in the past?

My mom used them almost five years ago upon her initial diagnosis, and will probably begin treatment there again soon. We use the one in Tulsa.

She had a PET that showed a few lit up areas, then a biopsy of a lymph node near her collar bone on thursday, which tested positive for cancer cells. She talks to her lung doctor at the treatment center on Thursday and will get a game plan.

This surgeon that did the biopsy, when he came out and informed us that it was positive for cancer, also said something that is bothersome. He said, 'we'd be naive to believe that the cancer was limited to those areas.' Does the PET not show all cancer areas?

We're just keeping positive and keeping our eyes on God. If we were to dwell on the cancer, it would become bigger than our God, and it's most definitely not.

I thank God for doctors and medicine, but ALL healing comes from the Lord, Jehova Rapha.

Thanks for listening and for your continued prayers!

Praying for us all!

Rogfam,

Can't answer your question either other than to say it sounds like they are saying it is stage IV, which means tumors could pop up anywhere without chemo.

Also, I have some advice to pass along. The one thing I regret about Charlie's treatment is that we didn't get a piece of the tumor to be used for gene therapy screening. Once radiation and chemo. have been done, there have to be new tumors accessible in order to get a sample. Charlie hasn't had any tumors accessible since he had one in his neck back last summer.

Just my two cents. It's the only thing I would change if I had it to do over. Take care.

Rogfam,

This is my totally unqualified opinion. I think the reason he might have said that is because cancer lights up in varying degrees of intensity on a PET scan. They actually measure the intensity and give numeric readings. Perhaps, if the cancer is still very small and not very intense, it wouldn't be detected by a PET. Of course, I don't know that for sure, but it seems logical.

This might be a good question for Ask the Experts.

Love,

Peggy

Betty, thank you!

tnmynatt, thank you for the advice, I didn't know anything about gene therapy for cancer, but I found some info on the net.

Peggy, yes, that does sound logical. We'll get more questions answered on Thursday about all that I guess. I'm getting a bit nervous about that. I know mom is too.

Christina, thanks for telling me about Mrs Mike. I searched for her posts and all I can say is WOW. What an inspiration to us all. Praise God she kept the faith and hope through it all. And yes, CTCA is a WONDERFUL place. We've had nothing but good experiences there. We joke about the food though... It's healthy food... they have a great salad and fruit bar and my dad raves about the pineapple. :wink: He picked up something the other day, like a muffin and said, 'do you think those are raisins or chocolate chips?' It was too funny.... we know there's no chocolate there! :) hehe\

edited to add, Christina, love the name, we share it.:)

CC

I am a patient at CTCA in Zion, IL. All I can say is I thank God that I am able to go there. Actually my daughter is the one that was instrumental in getting me there. What a Wonderful place. I am currently on Tarceva (previously on IRESSA). I really have no comment on the PET scan. I wish you good luck. Just remember that God is watching over you.

:wink:

Hi grammie! I thank God you're able to get treatment there too. It truly is a blessing.

I'm getting ready to meet my parents there in an hour and talk to her lung doc and possibly the onc too.

Needless to say, we're a bit scared and nervous about finding all this out, finally...

Prayers would be so appreciated! Thank you!

CC

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my mom had a brain MRI and Praise God for NED!!

Then, yesterday she had a bronchoscopy, which revealed no toumors!! Thank you Lord! The doc went into the right lobe for a biopsy. Now, more waiting... til wed. and see the oncologist. It looks like it's just in the nodes. Soon we'll have a treatment plan from the onc. The Great Physician is in charge though and is working in mighty ways! :)