time to stop lurking

I've been browsing your site for a while and it has given me a lot of hope. My fiance Greg (42 y/o) was diagnosed in September with Stage IV. We thought he had pneumonia when they did that chest x-ray and found a HUGE mass in his chest. By the time he had a biopsy he was having trouble using his right arm. Turns out he had 2 tumors in the brain. Greg was always a chain smoker and proud of it. He told me he would gladly give up cigarettes if he could get back the use of his arm. After 10 WBR treatments and a lot of praying he can once again write his name. AND he really did stop smoking!!!! He has now undergone 3 chemo rounds with carboplatinum and taxol. We are not sure that its working and will do a CAT scan in the next two weeks and check. Thanks so much for this site and all the people who contribute to it.

Kristal,

I am glad you felt like posting and sharing your story with us. It sounds like things are going better for Greg now that he can use his arm again. Welcome to the club no one wants to join. The people are wonderful and warm, so the ride is much better than if you were alone. I look forward to future posts and hearing how things are for you two.

Nina

Welcome Kristal

Hopefully things will continue to improve with Greg. Being a former smoker I am glad to hear that Greg has finally quit. I recall several years back I used to say that if I were to ever get lung cancer that I would need to accept that fact because of my smoking, but when it actually happened it was far from acceptable.

Come often for support from those who can answer you questions and give you support through all of this. Hang in there.

My best to both of you.

Kate

Welcome to both of you.As you are probably aware by now there are lots of knowing and caring people here.I had the same chemo treatments

along with radiation and so far they have been keeping me stable for over a year now.So the effort is many times worthwhile.There are many

here with stage 4 that are doing ok.

Dear Kristal,

Welcome to this site and thank you for sharing your story. As you will see if you read my (my husband's) bio below...I can understand all you are going thru. That is great that he has quit smoking and is again able to use his arm; he's well on the road to recovery. Please come back often and let us know how you are both doing and if there is anything we can do for you.

Love and prayers,

Welcome to our extended family, Kristal. I'm glad that Greg's arm is functioning again -- a precursor, let's hope, to lots more improvement. And yes, there are many Stage IV people here beating the odds, so hang in there...quitting smoking is just a beginning.

Ellen

Hi Kristal,

I am really sorry I missed this whole thread. So glad you found us and sending you a great big WELCOME!

Like many of the others above, my husband, too, is Stage IV and also with brain mets and yada yada yada - you can read it all below. :)

The good news is that he is almost 18 mos. post-diagnosis and doing really well.

Glad to hear that Greg is responding so well to his treatments, and will pray that it continues.

Please keep us updated.

Love,

Peggy