So glad to have found you all!

Guest TraciAnn

Guest TraciAnn

My name is Traci. I'm here because my mom was diagnosed in September with inoperable adenocarcinoma of the left lung. She's still working and playing as usual. In fact, if it weren't for the horrible coughing, you'd never know she was sick. We (my sister and I) are so worried about upsetting her at Dr. visits that we don't ask questions. She doesn't want to know. I'm glad to have found you, at least now I can get some answers to questions that are nagging at me.

Hi Traci,

I'm sorry to read about your mother's diagnosis. I cannot imagine how hard it must be to have those questions and not be comfortable asking. I wish you and your sister all the best as you work to help your mother continue to be a survivor. Please come back often and keep us posted on your mother's progress and ask ask ask away. This board is full of the most knowledgable, helpful and loving folks around!

Love and prayers,

Hi Traci, Welcome and sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis. I myself want to know exactly the way it is and that it is very important for my family to know also. Of course everyone is different, deals with it diferently and there request should be respected and honored. Have you talked to you mother about your (and sisters) fears and concerns and the need to know? Maybe as time goes on she will change her mind. Might help if you research some of the members profiles and you can print them out to let her know that people can still have a sustained life and are doing well. Stay with us, the best place with the best people for caring, sharing and knowledge. Hopes this helps. Prayers for the best. Rich

Hi Traci and welcome.

I too have one of those moms who wants to know nothing. And i am one who cannot get enough info and knowledge. She knows I research everything, and that i come here. When ever she does have a concern i usually have an answer or can come here and get one in no time flat. At first I did not understand this and tried and tried to get her involved, but it never happened. She is doing wonderful today, but I think she is becoming like most everyone else now and worries about every little ache and pain. She just had her first 3 month scans after being "ned" and this weekend has been rough on her, but we go to the onc tomorrow and i am sure all is still fine. Be sure to continue going to your moms appointments with her, someone does have to be on top of things, but its ok if its not her.

Come here often and ask any questions you may come across thats why we are all here.

God bless you and your family

Kim

Hi Traci ,

I just want to welcome you and tell you that you have found a wonderful, caring group of folks here to help you through this. I know it must be very hard on you to be left in the dark about your mom's case. There is a lot of information here, but every case is so unique. Maybe you can find some positive way to approach it with her. There is so much hope to be found here. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

sue

Dear Traci,

So sorry that your mom has this awful illness. I hope that this site will be as helpful to you as it has to me. I hope that you'll get your mom to agree to allow the doctor to talk to you when she's not there--most people want someone to be strong for them and you're the likely candidate. I know you'll feel better if you can get information on what exactly is going on.

In the meantime, ask all the questions of the forum that you can think of and hang in there, for yourself and your mother.

Ellen

Welcome Traci,

I am sorry to hear about your mom, but it sounds like you have found out that a lung cancer diagnosis is not the end of quality life as many people believe! I once feared that as well. I am glad to hear your mom is working and playing. Many here are doing so also. Continue to live life with her and support her and eachother. We will be here for you as well.

Hi Traci and WELCOME.

I missed your post. It seems I missed several new people's posts this past week, and I usually try to catch them right away. I was having a couple of bad days myself when you posted, so that's probably why.

Anyway, a great big WELCOME to you. Go slow with your mom as far as talking and wanting to know. My husband doesn't want to know as much as I want to know, so that's one reason I'm here on the website and he's not. LOL! I do try to pass along information to him that I think he might want to hear.

The main thing is, though, that SOMEBODY needs to know, especially as far as treatments, choices, medications, etc. It sounds like you and your sister are going to appointments with her, so at least you hearing what she is supposed to do.

Take Don's advice above and ask your mom if she will sign a paper (HIPAA authorization) letting the doctor talk to you about her illness. That's very important, and even if it doesn't seem necessary at the moment, it might be very necessary at a later time. If your mom doesn't want you asking questions of the doctor right now, then respect that and don't ask, but let her know that if she has problems later on you want to be prepared.

Prayers for your mom!

Love,

Peggy