the good, the bad, and the coyote ugly

kimblanchard

I'll do the coyote part first - I hear them all the time but yesterday I actually saw one - he was prancing, almost dancing, across the ice on our pond. He was skinny, brown, hopping around and looked quite happy, wild, and free. Suddenly he fell down flat - I am thinking, is he sick? But then he started rolling around in something, just like our dogs. He really wasn't ugly, I just thought it sounded good in the title of the post.

One week in Hospice today. The good news is - we didn't have to drive anywhere or go to any appointments. But as it turns out, we are as busy as ever, it is just people are coming to us. Deliveries of equiptment, the nurse twice, a volunteer who just called us up out of the blue and volunteered. Tons of visitors, up to 4 a day so far. Phone calls from California, all kinds of nice attention.

One bad spell. Monday night my husband spaced out. He had removed his oxygen in his sleep, again, woke me out at 1 am, very delusional and fearful, not recognizing common household items, it scared the heck out of me, both for him to go through it and for my own safety. I got his oxygen back on. did all kinds of routine things to assure him, and as I got him back to bed, I watched over him for a couple of hours until he got back to new normal. While I waited, I de-cluttered the room, to lessen chance of confusion, I gathered up and removed all the medicine to prevent an accident. Whatever one would do for an Altzheimer's patient, same principle. He was okay when he woke up in the morning. I talked with the nurse, she seemed to think a lot of it was anxiety, so we started Ativan. It does seem to help. Pending ... By the way, I did use the ceiling fan to ease the feeling of not being able to breath. I also tried taping the oxy tube to his face but it really scared him when he woke up, he thought something had hold of him.

Last week, he was house-bound. By yesterday, he was right next to bed-bound. I use the wheelchair to help him go even a few feet. We are both amazed at how fast it is progressing. Plenty of meds, though, so the pain never gets bad.

I am still feeling an unreality. Maybe it is a protection thing.

Margaret

Margaret,

I read your post and my heart aches. It does come fast, I know. You wonder how it can happen so fast when your body held it at bay for so long. You sound like such a wonderful caregiver, making your husband feel loved and secure and "safe". I pray that God is watching over you both. Love, Sharon

Margaret,

I am so sorry things are getting so rough so fast. I am going thru the same thing with my Gram but I know that is not the same as a husband. My prayers are going out to you. I am glad to hear that hospice has been such a help and at least he is being kept comfortable. Make sure to take time for you Margaret. I will go right now to www.gratefulness.org and light a candle for you and hubby.

((((GREAT BIG HUGS))))

Margaret: I have no words. I am also in amazement at your courage and loving fortitude. I was my mothers caregiver when she had lung cancer, my heart aches for you, it is so hard to go through this process. I will pray for you both. Hoping a miracle comes your way. You will be in my thoughts. be well....gina

Dear Margaret,

I cannot post a reply to you to tell you how I feel because I have never felt this way before and don't know how to explain it...but I am sure the many other caregivers on this board will understand...I am so amazed by you and your strength. Please take care of yourself and know that so many are keeping you and Jim in our prayers.

Love,

Margaret...I am so sorry you are going through these tough times. I hope you will find some comfort in knowing so many people are praying for yu and sending loving hugs your way. Yes, this does progress quickly and it is so hard for a spouse to watch happen. I admire your strength and courage. One little note about the ceiling fan. For some reason, the ceiling fan seemed to add to Dennis's confusion at times. Things would be better when I would turn off the fan. I have no explanation. Love and prayers for both of you!!!