My dad has passed on

barbara w

My dad passed away peacefully at home on January 12 surrounded by his family. He had been on the Iressa for three weeks when his confusion and weakness seemed to get much worse. When his visiting nurse heard some fluid in his lungs, she recommended hospice on the Friday prior. We did one course of antibiotics while under hospice and he seemed to improve. Monday was his best day in a long time - he ate three meals, had a good energy level, was much clearer in his thoughts, and had little pain. He didn't even want to go to bed on Monday night. Tuesday morning he was hardly responding - no food or water intake, couldn't swallow his meds, or stand alone. We started morphine and got him a hospital bed and by Wednesday afternoon he was gone.

I can't believe that it has taken me this long to post this. I have been on this site a few times, reading other's updates, but I just couldn't bring myself to post. It's almost as if I couldn't type the words. My heart is empty yet I'm not sure if it has really hit me yet. My days seem so long and foreign without him. We had spend so much time together this past year with drs. appointments, etc. We lived on the same street, so he would help me care for my twins, now 18 months, when they were very young and before he was diagnosed ( when life was normal). I've been robbed of my dad and one of my best friends.

I'm rambling now, so I'll end this. I will continue checking in on the many of you who offered me so much support and help these last 11 months, and my prayers are with you and with the search for a cure to this damned disease.

Barbara,

Iam sooo sorry for your loss. I have loss my dad so I know how you

feel. It will take sometime to sink in. Take care and I will pray for you and your family.

Barbara. I know exactly where you're coming from. It was similar circumstances for my hubbie. It has been a month and a half since he's been gone and only now am I starting to be able feel some light coming into my life again. Please know that you are not alone in your feelings.

Cyndy