Pneumonia, weight loss... life after radiation?

WhenStars

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for a little help. Right now, I am very scared and very worried. My mom just called to tell me that my dad has just been admitted to the hospital - probably with pneumonia. Over the last 24 hours, he has had trouble releasing mucus and fluid, and apparently he had an asthma attack in the middle of the night. I will likely head out to their house tonight (only a 1 hr train ride from NYC), but I need your help to calm my nerves a bit while I am at work.

My dad has finished 7 weeks of radiation and chemo, and is supposed to be in the "recovery" phase. Preliminary tests conducted in the middle of treatment showed that the tumor was responding very well to treatment. In fact, the doctor estimated it had shrunk by 40%! He is due for another full check-up during the first week in March. The check-up, I presume, will include new CT scans, PET scans, more blood work etc.

Since he has finished radiation/ chemo, my dad has become even weaker and more apathetic. He weighs only 165 lbs at 6', and his appetite is *horrible*. This has been very hard to deal with because my dad had been a top executive at a major bank just four months ago - living an active and full life.

I have two questions, I guess. 1) Is pneumonia during post-treatment recovery very common? 2) Is depression/ apathy very common during treatment? I imagine the answer is "yes", but it would be very helpful to hear other experiences.

Thanks so much for your time and thoughts,

Kate

Hi Kate,

I can't talk about the pneumonia because my husband didn't have that. He did, however, get knocked flat on his back for a couple of months after chemo and radiation. He, too, was very strong, active and had absolutely no health problems. It was so bad that I thought the treatments were killing him instead of the cancer.

The good news is that he did recover, that was over a year ago, and he is feeling really good and working full time.

The chemo/radiation combo is a very rough combination for anyone that has to do it. I'm very optimistic that your dad will regain his strength, but it will take time.

Keep us posted on the pneumonia.

Love and prayers,

Peggy

Kate,

It is not uncommon to be at risk for all kinds of general colds and viruses while blood counts are down during/after chemo. Lungs seem especially sensitive/reactive, like asthma, after radiation, at least mine were. Could very well be that he's a wee bit dehydrated as well.

As for apathy and depression, being so wiped out for so long without a break is wearing, and many of us suffer depression concomitant with having cancer. I myself started antidepressants prior to treatment, and was depressed for quite a while after diagnosis and surgery.

It is very likely your dad is hospitalized to prevent him from becoming seriously ill, as can happen very quickly to healthy people with pneumonia. There they can watch him, hydrate him, get him antibiotics if need be, check his blood counts, and help him fight off whatever germ he likely has. Also, I have to say, a little supplementary oxygen made me feel a whole LOT better immediately.

Calm down , and try to get through the work day. Your dad is in a safe place for now, and you'll be there when you can.

Stay strong.

XOXOXOX

Prayers, always

MaryAnn

Hi Kate,

I didn't have "pneumonia" , but I had pneumonitis which was pretty harsh... maybe that is what he has too. Asthma is a kicker on top of it all. I am glad that he is in the hospital and getting care. Like MaryAnn said they are keeping close eyes on him and getting him rehydrated and having some nebulizers and all.

I am sure that he will be fine.

And, depression? Everyone is a little different here, I suppose. I don't think that it is uncommon for someone to feel depressed after facing all the losses that come with a lc diagnosis. I suppose the most important thing is to make sure that it is addressed and and treated.

Rest easy, the train will be leaving the station soon and you will be able to see for yourself that he is all right.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Cindi o'h

Hi Kate

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Im sure he will recover in no time flat. I really cant help though with that part, but my mom felt worse much worse after chemo and radiation ended than she ever did while actuallky going thru it. No energy, horrible pain, not eating, you name it, I got really scared. The drs told us at the beginning of tx that they would"bring Mom to the brink of death, and she would not only feel like she was dying, she would want too!!" That was so true we found out. Chemo/Radiation is some serious serious stuff. I dont think I realizedhow potent even the radiation can be. The chemo literally kills everything inside you. And what left the radiation burns and fries. Its horrible but true. But the treatment also works, today mom is cancer free. So hang in there, this too will pass and your dad should be right back to himself soon. Give it a few months.

God bless

Kim

Thanks so much for everyone's comforting words. Although I am sure it is terrifying to be a patient and have your body decline so rapidly, its also so scary to be a close family member and feel so helpless.

The more I think about it, the more comfortable I am with my dad staying in the hospital right now. Although my mom is an excellent caregiver, I have a feeling that my dad will respond better to nurses and doctors than my mom and the dogs.

Trying to stay positive,

Kate

Kate,

I had to giggle at your last comment. My husband was in the hospital for a few days (twice) during treatment, and he said "I'd be a helluva lot better if Lady [the dog] was laying up here with me." Our son heard him say that, and I had to talk myself blue in the face to keep him from sneaking the dog up there. LOL!!

Love,

Peggy

I vote for the dogs!! :D Actually when Steve was hospitalized they did bring some service dogs to visit him. Also, the hospital told us that we could bring in our dogs to visit him in the outdoor garden, if they were well-behaved (it was the "well-behaved" part that scared us out of it :oops: ).

Apathy and depression were certainly issues for Steve at different points during treatment. Does your dad have friends from work who can visit and talk business and not cancer? Steve's ex-boss would take him out for a short walk or coffee and they talked business stuff. Steve always seemed better after that. It's hard for these guys to go from a busy career to a patient. Their brains just aren't programmed for that.

Wondering if your Dad could be having some acid reflux problems. Steve didn't want to eat either (he's 6'3" and his weight went down to 165 too!). Even though he didn't have what we thought were the symptoms, once the doctor started him on medicine for the acid reflux, he immediately started eating better.