Going to work during treatment

Justakid

Of those of us that are not at retirement age or able to take early retirement. I am curious who worked during treatment (surgery, chemo, radiation - any) and who did not work through treatment.

Just interested in everyone's stories and see how it compares to mine. Although I worked from home during treatment (as much as possible), had I had disability insurance I woudn't have done it.

Even now, I am having a heck of a time handling work and illness. Not sleeping, no energy, you know the routine.

How long does it take before you can do both (work and self) with some skill and less exhaustion? It's still all I can do to get up in the morning, shower, dress and go.

Last treatment was Oct........by now it should be done!!!! I know that I have had more then my fair share of episodes BUT still.

Tell me what everyone else did.....am I just lazy? My doctors were still surprised that I was working 40+ hours every week.

Beth, You have had more than your fair share. My mom was diagnosed in mid August 2002 she worked until mid Sept. 02 and was not able to return to work. My sister on the other hand is receiving chemo for bladder cancer and has not missed work. She has her chemo on her days off Thursdays then has Fridays off and returns to work on Saturday. No you are not lazy. My sister said the same thing it takes all she has to get up, shower and go to work. My heart goes out to you. {{{ Beth }}}

frankly, I've never know how you do it at all, and I think it takes a long time, months and months, to recover from treatment.

hang in there!

p.s. when Dave was first diagnosed in March 2003 he still worked. his boss gave him a reduced-stress workload, then he started working part time, then he eventually, about half way through treatment, went on disability. this time around, he went on full time disability as soon as he was diagnosed. but he had never fully recovered from the first bout of treatment and then he had his bonkitis biopsy to recover from as well.

this is something I've always wondered about, no reason, just wonder, so would like to see others responses.

Karen

Beth,

I think you've had an unusual set of side effects, and way more than your share of problems with all this. As if the normal side effects and issues weren't enough, you've had many more than some of the rest of us.

Here's what happened with me:

I had surgery on a Friday morning, was discharged from the hospital on Monday morning. Didn't feel that good yet, but I was walking a lot and knew I would rest better at home (why is 4am the time they come in to do a chest x-ray?). Also, how about the difference it made when those awful chest tubes came out!

I slept on the couch and in the lazy boy till Friday night that week. It just felt better to be on an incline with my head above my chest to take some pressure off that incision and to breathe easier. Starting that Friday night after I got home I slept in my bed again, but NOT laying on the incision side for quite a long time.

Had follow-up appt 10 days after hospital discharge and was released for all normal activities at that time. So, I ended up being off work for about 2.5 weeks, and left in a car for a conference in Detroit on my first day officially back at work.

Started chemo a couple of months later and had my treatments on Thursday. I worked a couple of Fridays and then decided that I should really take Friday off to rest so that I'd feel better by Monday, so I was off most Thursdays and Fridays during chemo.

I did not have chest radiation, but I did have it with breast cancer, and I think that is very tiring. I remember just going home from work during that time and doing nothing but lay on the couch and sleep.

It was so important to my emotional well-being to have normalcy in my life, I really pushed getting back to a normal work schedule and trying to keep it during the chemo treatment as much as possible. I'm grateful that physically I was able to do that because I think it helped my recovery.

But, I had no complications along the way like you have had. I also do not have children to care for--that takes a lot of energy right there. It was good that you were able to work from home though.

I think I've been lucky with my recovery and limited side effects from treatments. It's just that worry and fear thing that nags me and I guess always will.

So, there's my story. Everybody's different. You do bring up a good topic--I have always wondered what other people's treatment was like.

Cindy

Beth,

When I was diagnosed, I thought it would be "no problem" to continue to work and have chemo. BOY, was I wrong. I had my first chemo and tried to go back to work a couple days later. I ended up only working that one day through my first chemo. My employer "suggested" that I go ahead and go on short-term disability, which was a benefit with my company. (Thank goodness!) So I did, and when I finished my first chemo regimine (Taxol/Carbo) I went back to work while I was on a "chemo break". That lasted one month. My job really required someone to be at my desk all the time, so my employer said I should go ahead and complete my short-term disability and then go on long term disability. There is no way I could have worked through treatments or even now. Just going to the grocery store sends me to take a nap when I get home.

I really feel for those of you who don't have that disability benefit. It must be so difficult. My heart goes out to each and everyone of you. It makes it harder on your body when you don't get alot of rest while going through this cancer nightmare.

Prayers,

TAnn

I am actually surprised when I read your posts about how active you are. I guess your pain is manageable. My mom was diagnosed beginning of May and stopped working. I am constantly concerned about her when I read your posts bc you are working and relatively active, while she is in so much pain, she gets out of bed only to go to the bathroom and eat sometimes. She is reciveing her 2nd treatment of Alimta tomorrow (hopefully her counts are good enough), so hopefully it will start to reduce the tumors so that she can move again.

You are NOT weak, or a wimp. You are moving ahead, strong!!

Lori try not to worry too much. When I was going through treatment I couldn't do anything. I forced myself to work at home a few hours a week because I felt we needed the money. If I don't work I don't get paid. I had just bought this huge house and had to make the mtg pmt. We did make it with me barely working part time. And only managed to borrow a $1000 to make it through.

BUT during treatment I couldn't even get up to get a drink, there were several times (when my Mother was not able to come over and help) that I would have my 13yr old stay home from school with me just because the pain and weakness were so bad. It does get better! The pain and exhaustion that I feel now, although is related to treatment, is different. Just encourage your mom to keep trying!

Good questions!

Charlie worked everyday (only missed 1 day) while he was getting chemo. and radiation initially. However, when he started having complications in July 2004 and further progression, he was not able to work anymore. He was barely able to take care of himself. He was approved for Social Security Disability and LTD recently (6 mo. waiting period). Charlie was a worker and would NEVER miss work. If it got him physically exhausted, it would get anybody down. I have always been amazed by the patients still working. Beth, you are AWESOME!

Take care.

When I was diagnosed, I was hospitalized for 5 days. I was off a few days the next week during round 1 of chemo, but was feeling SO much better without the pneumonia and pain I'd had, that I got bored laying around the house and went back to work. Through the chemo and when they started radiation with the 3rd round, I worked almost full days -- I'd come home around 4:00 or so -- had to rest. After I'd rest an hour or so, I was good to go for a few more hours in the evening. Without that rest stop every day, it just about did me in, so I learned to listen when my body said "I'm tired - STOP!"

I had the last chemo in Aug. 04, the last chest radiation in early Sept. 04, and about the end of Sept., I started staying at work full days -- feeling really good. When I started PCI and during that treatment, I had to leave a little early a few times -- I'd feel "droopy." After the holidays were over, I came back with a full time schedule, and haven't missed work except for the occasional appointment with the doc, scans, etc.

Keep in mind that I did NOT have any surgery, and did NOT have many side effects from the chemo and/or the radiation. I wasn't feeling 100% much of the time, but I truly wasn't sick either, so working was a great way for me to keep my mind off things. And so many people I know made a point to come in and see how I was doing -- and they still do - that I can't miss out on seeing them! Going into this, the pulmologist told me my chances were improved drastically because I didn't have to battle diabetes, heart disease, emphysema, or any of countless other medical problems that can affect the way I'd feel while being treated. He was SO right. I've been able to concentrate strictly on treating the cancer.

One of the better lessons I've learned through all of this is like I said before -- listening to my body, and when it tells me it needs rest, that's what I do. A lot of what I do at work I can do at home if need be, but I'm not going there unless I absolutely have to.

YMMV.

Di

Beth,

My mother wasn't able to work during her treatments because she was a nurse working nights at the emergency, it was too hard physically... I think it depends on the type of work.

I remember a few days before the diagnosis, there was the SARS fear everywhere (April 2003). They suspected a case at her hospital and all the staff had to wear a special combination and a mask. The mask made her short of breath and then she went for tests....

Anaïs

I just don't see how you do it. I want to reopen my craft and gift shop but know that I can't handle the time that is involved in being at a mall and even if I hire some people; you still have the store responsibility and being open hanging over you.

Now, I am 64 and on Iressa and it takes very little to take me down. Then I will have a pretty perky day and think I can do all sorts of things and when i start moving at a higher rate of speed; I say NO NO can't do that. It takes very little to wear me out.

I do wish I could eat better. I know that would help a lot. Marion

Hi Beth,

I became ill the middle of June, 2002 with pleurisy. Missed about three days and came back to work still sick. Worked the most of July,still not feeling well, came down with pneumonia the end of July. I was in the hospital a couple of days. When I was released, I was still running a fever an still very sick. Couldn't eat, the smell of food made me sick. I was losing weight. I came back to work after being out for about a week. I worked until the third week of August, sick and still running a fever when I decided I could not keep going on this way. I kept calling my pulmonary doctor, and he was no help at all. I really despise him, because one day he returned my call and I was sleeping, and he told my 15 year old daughter told her that I was not going to get better, until I started my treatment. Well I'm getting side tracked here so I'll move on. I started my radiation treatment in October and had my first round of chemo the end of October into November. I returned to work in January, started chemo again In January on the cycle of three weeks on one week off until July. The only days I missed were the days I had chemo. So I actually worked through most of my treatment. The treatment actually made me feel better. I feel really lucky and blessed to have done so well with my treatment.

Best Wishes,

Dee

Beth and all,

I worked one day in the last two years. I was hoping that I could get back to work. I am not doing well enough for long enough to get back to work. Something keeps popping up to compromise my health. Either hypothyroidism, arthritis, asthma, effusions, heart, flu...something...

It's like Groundhog's Day.

Maybe one day I will be able to say that I am now well enough to go back to work. Thankfully, I do receive SSDI or I would be under the bridge. (Still might be) But, the SSDI does not go far.

Cindi o'h

Beth,

I didn't work at all through treatment...stopped work the Friday before my Monday surgery. I went back to work in May, on a very limited basis, working back up to full-time. I thought I could handle full-time, but on my first day when I went home for my four hour lunch and slept most of it, I figured they had it just about right.

Finally made it back to full time in September (and due to budget cuts, have been half-time since January). I STILL appreciate a nap every now and then...

Wish I could be closer to the "before" picture..

Hi Beth,

I was sick for a week and then got dx in July didn't go back to work until Jan9 and worked part time for 3wks. and had one more chemo blast on Jan 23 and had to go back to work three days after that. It was one of the hardest things I've every done. I had to drag myself to work. Last week was the first time I worked overtime 60 hrs. and it killed me. I slept half the weekend away and took yesterday off. So no your not lazy. The radiation is what did me in. I still don't feel right. Everyone is

so different. I know a women who had breast cancer, beside her surgery

she never missed a day. Some people have the mind set that being out

of work for sickness equals weakness. I see people come to work that

are sooo sick. Personal I think they're nuts. Everyone needs the money

but when your sick your sick. All the side effect you have had I'm totalled

surprised you work at all. Take care girl!

Beth, wishing you the best. As you know we are at opposite extremes. I have not missed a day of work or fishing in 18 months of Chemo. I have had virtually no side effects...am I fortunate or what?. My heart goes out to those not as luckyas I. I have put on 45 Lbs....my side effect is constant hunger.

Luv

jim