Mother diagnosed with SCLC Stage IV - May 2004

Guest Fostert

Guest Fostert

Hello I am new to the boards and am seeking some help. My mother (my best friend) was diagnosed in May, 2004 with SCLC Stage IV that metastases (sp) to the brain (several tumors - was not give a count) and liver. She has undergone Radiation to the brain and several different chemo treatments since then. At that point in time ... she was given 1 year of life. She has been doing great up to Christmas ... wouldn't know she had cancer if not for the wig.

About 3 weeks ago she was told that the chemo was not working. She only has one tumor now at the Right Temple about 2.5cm, one tumor in the liver about 3.3cm, one tumor in the Lung which is stable at 3.4 cm x 4cm and now one in a lumph node about 3cm. Her doctor is trying a new chemo treatment called Topatecan (sp). She has gone through one session.

Before that session she went through Chemo Treament that contained Camptosar 20mg. At her last session of Camptosar,she had a very bad allegic reaction ... Difficult breathing, swelling and throat closed. They stopped in right away.

Her complaints now are lightheadedness (losing balance, falling) and buzzing in the ears. She went to her cancer doctor who said that this is not related and to go to her family doctor. Who by the why mis-diagnosed the symptoms to catch this cancer in the early stages by saying it was stomach related. Anyway, he stated he did not know what was causing it and to go back to the cancer doctor. Has anyone had any of these reactions to chemo? Also, does anyone know of any Clinica Trial for this extensive stage of cancer.

Thank you ...

T

Dizzyness could be due to dehydration. If she has had chemo and radiation together, or a lot of either, this could be a side effect. One way to tell is to pinch her skin and see if it goes back quickly. If it doesn't, that may mean dehydration. It is easy to get dehydrated when undergoing treatment, particularly if one is not taking in a lot of liquids. Don

Fostert, sorry you need to be here, but glad you have reached out for support! My grown children support me and I am happy for their caring support!

The symptoms you describe, the dizziness, falling and buzzing in the ears can all come from the drug to stop nausea. It is Decadron and many Oncologists use it during chemotherapy. Tell Mom to ask the Dr. if that could be the cause. Hope that helps solve the mystery! Marge

My mom is was/is on a different kind of chemo and also compained of loss of balance and buzzing in the ears and the doctor said as to the balance that it was not related to chemo that he has never heard of that and the buzzing in the ears he said if that is the worst thing that happens then she is lucky. Whatever that is meant to mean. Sometimes I think there are side effects that doctors don't know about because so many people react different to drugs. Best wishes

Heidi

• 1 month later...
Guest Fostert

Well after the Topatecan (sp). Chemo treatment ... no good news ... The tumor in the lung and in the liver grew appox. 50%. At least the one in the brain did not change. However, Mom is in pain because of the other two pushing on main veins. She is to start on a chemo pill called Etoposide and she will go to the radiation Dr. next week (April 5th) to start radiation on the lung and maybe the liver as well. Has anyone been through this treatment?? Just needed a little positive with all this negative. Needless to say, she is very depressed today. I wish I could help her.

Hi T,

I am sorry your mom is having such a rough time of it. Etoposide is VP16, I had VP16/cisplatin chemo plus radiation. I know the combination of chemo and radiation is synergetic, or more than additive. I had mostly etoposide, with cisplatin once during the 6 day chemo. It should work.

Pain is no fun. You should tell her oncologist she is in pain, and get that taken care of. There is NO good reason to be in pain today.

I will keep you and your mom in my prayers, I know it's tough to not think about it.

I am sending you a pm with some sites (urls). Dadstimeon (Rich) has a very good long list of web sites, some of which are for clinical trials. National Cancer Institute I know keeps a listing.

It helps if you can help your mom be distracted with funny movies or good books. It actually boosts the immune system to be laughing at distractions rather than dwelling on things. Depression is something a lot of us fight.

Good luck to you and your mom. Keep us posted, please.

Remember we're here for you.

XOXOXOXOX

Prayers always,

MaryAnn

Sorry the topotecan is not working. My husband is taking it now, it's his third chemo treatment since diagnoses two years ago. Addie is on it as well.

He has a liver met and my mother has four liver mets (she has colon cancer) and it is my understanding you can't do radiation to the liver. I am curious about that, because Dave's cancer seems to have always responded well to radiation.

Has anyone considering gamma knife for your mom's remaining brain tumor?

Hang in there,

Karen