Stage iv Small Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC)

Guest Fostert

I have searched quite extensively on line for trials for my wife, stage IV NSCLC. The sites mentioned above have quite a bit, but it is hard to find trials that accept brain metastis. Some will accept if they were removed and have been clean for a period. A big issue for me was balancing the risk and questionable "success" of a trial against the stress of travel to a distant site. We have ended up preferring to trust our doctors and what is available locally, which fortuantely is very good (New England). I was very excited by the sound of some trials that were at a distance but in balance the comfort of our present situation outwayed the risks of distance. Also I found that there were numorous trials available at our local cancer center that did not show up in any internet search. So I guess my advice is look "locally" first. We have also found that the decision to go on a trial, especially phase I, is very complex and the knowlwdge and advice of the doctors you have trusted can not be replaced. Good Luck!

A few things to think about is how far are you willing to travel for treatment. After that is decided find the best cancer centers. You can call them directly to inquire about what trials are available.

Also learn about the "phases" of trials. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/info/phase

And decide if you mind being in a randomized trial. You may or may not get the experimental drug but will get the more standard.

Also as someone mentioned there is the web site www.clinicaltrials.gov

You can search using location also, e.g. "sclc, extensive,pennsylvania"

Most of the trials I saw are chemo comparison trials.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/search ... nnsylvania

Avastin (bevacizumab) is one of the newer drugs. Though newer doesnt always mean better.

Alot of the trials are comparisons of chemo (Irinotecan vs Etoposide)

Cisplatin/Etoposide is one of the main chemos used for sclc

Irinotecan (aka Cpt-11, Camptosar) has done well in Japan, but that may be for genetic reasons