New and needing help

4Teresa

My father was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in Nov 02. In Jan 03 he had his right lung removed. He now has a tumor in his left lung with lymph node involvement. I am devastated but putting up a real good front, being the oldest sibling. Dad started chemo this past friday. He has diahrrhea, nausea and loss of appetite. He is getting depressed, which bothers me since he has had such a positive attitude up until now. He has missed some work this week. The medical benefits are not the best, he must pay 20% of all of his medical bills, which could wipe out he and my mother financially. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am grasping at straws here!! I cannot sleep and I am keeping this all bottled up inside because I am the one that everyone leans on for support and guidance, I am a very good listener and I am a very compassionate person, but I need a little help.

Thank you. Teresa

Hi Teresa.

Welcome to this community of people who have been connected by this illness.

So sorry to hear about your dad's recurrence. It sounds as if he is moving forward with treatment. Depression comes secondary for many of us and is one of the side effects of the illness or the chemo...?? Hard to say, but it usually needs to be addressed before it can become out of hand.

Sounds like your parents have alot going on. Me too. There are so many fears associated with diagnosis of a major illness. And money/security/savings is one of them for many of us. I tried not to think about it too much while going through treatment. I would just think...well, I am still living for a reason. And I will never go hungry.... and IT is ONLY money. Money is nothing without life. I mean, think about it.

What kind of chemo is he on? Are you in the US?

All good listeners have to vent somewhere. You come here and vent all you want and need to. Your parents, of course, are welcome as well. Hopefully, your mind will be put to ease a bit. This is not an easy illness by any means. But, I think WE fare better as a group than individually. At least, that is my hope.

Everything is going to be all right.

Cindi o'h

Thersa, welcome to our support family.I have the same type cancer and almost the same scenario as your dad.Had my left lung removed in june 03 & cancer spread to my other lung in oct. 03.I had radiation and carbo & taxol same as dad.It is a tough thing to get thru but it was worth it for me.I have been stable now for just over a year.Tell him hang in there because this is doable.

Teresa, sorry about your dad. Glad you came here. You need that support. I also recommend that you talk routinely with a friend or counselor because your own health is at risk if you keep all that emotion bottled up inside you. Your dad is depressed because he thought the surgery took care of the cancer, and now it is back. There are treatments available, so hang in there. Don

Welcome Teresa,

I'm so sorry you have to be here and your Dad has recurrent cancer. My husband has recurrent also, after having a pnemonectomy in April 2001 he was diagnosed last January with Stage IV recurrent. Acceptance of the new diagnosis is so hard for all of us, but we have only one choice- to fight it or not fight it. From word go, my husband said "I'm fighting this thing" and he has. He started with Carboplatin and Taxol. He didn't have the side effects you are describing , but everyone is different. I hope your dad has called and gotten meds to help make him more comfortable. There is a lot available to help. I'm not sure what other information I can add to help you right now, but I want you to know that this is a very kind and compassionate group. Support, is so helpful as we are all trying to muster up the strength to get through the days, one day at a time. There are ups and downs along this journey and we are all trying to help one another along the way. I want you to know that your family is in my prayers.

Sue