2nd go round of chemo

grammajay

My son age 47 diag. in april 2004 with stage 4 lung cancer. inoperable.

Had chemo and radiation with major shrinkage of left lung tumor.

We thought we were into remission but the lining of the lung filled up with fluid and had to be drained. hosp. 5 days. He has now started chemo again. It is dinorelbine and gemcitadine ( spelling is probably wrong)

and next day after chemo gets a shot of Nuelasta. Has any one else had these drugs used. We just got back from 2 weeks of quality time in florida. He really enjoyed his self. I'm afraid to let him out of my sight.

Jay (grammajay)

Hi Jay

So sorry to read about your son. It must be so hard on you.

Mum was on Cislpatin and Gemcitabine (gemzar). The gemcitabine seemed to make her fatigued more than anything else. All in all she tolerated it fairly well, and the combination kept her condition stable for the 6 months that she was on it.

As for the other drug, I think you might mean 'Vinorelbine', also called navelbine. Mum has not had experience with that one, but I know there are other members on the board who have. Perhaps if you type in a search using the icon at the top of the page, you will find some information.

I am glad that you were able to enjoy a great holiday together, and I wish you both all the best.

Karen

Hi Jay and WELCOME!

My husband had that combination (gemzar/navelbine) and he did really well with it. He got sick after the first treatment, but after that took compazine before and after, as well as the anti-nausea drugs received at infusion time. After that he did just fine - fatigue was the main problem.

He'll be ok. You hang in there. I know that's easier said than done, but you can do it!

Love,

Peggy