First treatment tomorrow

mama4zach

Hello Everyone, Just an update to tell you that my first chemo treatment is Tuesday. I was dx with sclc 1/31/05 but it is confined to the chest. I have to tumor on the lung and lymph node involvement. I am scared out of my wits but I have to fight this awful thing. I would like to ask for each of you to pray for me. I am just so afraid of treatment failure. But I have to fight with all my might. I probaly won't be on the board for awhile but I might bouce right back. So please be praying and if there is anything you think you should warn me about I will be doing the etopiside and cisplatin 3 days a week every 21 days and radiation 5 days a week twice a day. Please respond if you have had this medication and what experience you had with it. Thank you, Love and Prayers, Nancy

Hi, Nancy, I just want to assure you there is plenty to be done to help you. Each person is different but I have seen that drug combo before and there is every chance you are going to get major shrinkage from it and feel a lot better after you get through it. YOU CAN DO IT. Just keep going, no matter what. Radiation is tough but often very effective in shrinking or even killing the primary tumor. You will want to be prepared for possible swallowing problems as the radiation may also temporarily effect your esophagus. There is medicine you can take to help, ask about Magic Mouthwash (benedryl, lidocaine, and ??maalox??) that numbs everything if needed. Also load up on ice cream, popcycles, maybe even some Boost High Protein drink, just in case. I repeat, you can do this, just keep going. It is darkest before the dawn. Thinking of you. Margaret

Hi Nancy,

I had the SAME EXACT regime and meds that you are scheduled to undergo. Yes, it is scary, nerve wracking, etc. but you CAN get thru it. I was diagnosed in April 2002 with limited SCLC (which is what you have). I was 48 at the time. My dr. was very aggressive in treating me because he said he was going for a cure. So far, Nancy, so good. That's almost 36 months! I am waiting to hear of the results of my last CAT scan which I had on Saturday - so i'll be posting that as soon as I know. This treatment is gonna work for you! If you have any specific questions, etc. please write back; there are plenty of sclc survivors here. Keep your hopes high!

Joanie

Nancy -

You CAN kick butt on this!

It's okay to get upset and scared, but get thru it and get into fighting mode. The power of positive thinking will help. Read Lance Armstrong's book "It's Not About the Bike" and become a survivor! I have some yellow bracelets left from a previous walk, if you'd like one, email me your mailing address and I'll be happy to send one to you, my fellow future survivor!

Hugs and prayers,

SandyS

Hi Nancy!

Going for that very first chemo treatment must be so scary! I can't imagine what it feels like.

I do hope that you have someone in the chemo room like my husband that you get to sit close to. When he was getting chemo, anyone within ear shot could count on laughing and going out feeling better than when they came in.

Be tough, girl! You can do it! Prayers being said for you RIGHT NOW!!

Love,

Peggy

I can't add anything that hasn't been said already, but hang in there!!!

Small Cell is VERY responsive to chemo. You're limited stage so thats even better.

It's not a walk in the park, but remember that everyone is different. My mom has done it all and the Doctors are amazed at how she's done. Very few side effects. Expect some discomfort with swallowing during radiation and foods taking on a different taste during chemo (or no taste at all).

Like everyone else has said, you CAN do this. If you need support, please ask for it!

d.

...hey its bad... but it could be worse (a lot worse)......really spooky!!!....how do you feel? ....

they (docs) pretty much do the same stuff to all of us (that have the same type and stage of cancer). theyre giving you cisplatin and they gave me carboplatin....but everybody usually gets one or the other....

you prbly wont get sick until you have done all 3 days of chemo.....and you may not get REAL sick at all (but dont count on it)....a lot of folks dont...

most of the time they can get rid of the tumor (when youre "limited stage sclc")......and even if youre extended stage......and you'll feel "a lot" maybe as good as ever... and you might even beat it.....seems like a lot of times they miss the lymph node thing is and its really NOT cancerous.....(who knows)

this (cancer) is a crappy deal......but its what all of us here have to deal w/........you still have a VERY good chance for some quality time ahead of you.....(a lot of folks dont)

i mean they could of said "no treatment is gonna help you"....."youre sure a gonner"......"where do i send my bill"......"would you like for me to shoot you in the head?"

(kidding).....i'll pray for you... try not to let the "worry" kill you before the cancer does...

.......s

Good luck with your treatments. At least you can feel as if you are doing something now to fight this! My mom, in her 80's, did quite well thru her treatment with very small bouts of stomach upset, fatigue, low counts, but all very well managed. Most days she stopped to have lunch on the way home from chemo! Go figure. Stay positive and take one day at a time. Wishing you all good things.

Nancy

Nancy! By now, your first teatment may be over! Hope you had the same experience I had. I had Carboplatin and Etoposide; similar. After the first treatment, I felt very good. Went to the Mall the second day after chemo!

Toward the end of the six chemos, I was feeling tired and had to postpone treatment 2xs because of low blood counts. Nurse told me to"listen to your body!" Rest, when you're tired! I did avoid crowds and people with colds when white count was down! Otherwise, I was fine! It was easier than I thought! Hope your was, too! LOve, Marge

Hopefully you had a good day today with the first chemo. I had the same combo but actually had it over a 6 day consecutive period instead of 3 days.

I really didnt have any problems at all with the combo. A little tired is all. I actually kept waiting for the side effects and never got them. Also had radiation 5 days a week.

I will be praying for a smooth ride!

Best wishes,

Wendy

How are you doing there mama4?

I have been looking for an update on you this week and not seeing one...

I wanted to tell you that I think your treatment plan sounds so good. When I was going through my treatment two years ago, I was reading about the 2X/daily radiation and it made sense to me. I think this is a heckuva game plan. If I were to do anything differently now, this would have been it.

I had the most wonderful radiation techs. I do not know where they got the bounce in their steps, the smiles on their pretty faces, or the sweetness in their hearts...it was there everyday no matter how many equipment breakdowns they had, and how far behind they were on their schedules. I saw them 5 days a week for 8 weeks. And I really missed seeing them so much after my treatment, that I would occasionally drop in when I was at the hospital for something else. I hope you have great techs too.

Please update us, Nancy.. we are all rooting for you!

Cindi o'h

Hi Nancy,

hang in there. My partner started his treatment with a similar chemo and concurrent whole brain radiation for brain metastases. It's no fun but doable, and the bad days are eventually followed by good ones. It's good to keep that in sight. Thinking of you and hope you're doing well.