The Mohawk is goin' down.

SDianneB

I've developed what I guess is best described as a "2/3 Mohawk" hairdo as the result of my shedding after PCI. It's really strange. You can almost put a bowl over my head (ok, no jokes about southern haircuts please!) to mark where I still have hair. It's like someone just moved my hairline back an inch or so!

I'm going tomorrow to get it shaved. I'm tired of messing with it, and it's done shedding -- I lose normal amounts of hair in the comb every day instead of little chunks! My scalp needs to be treated - badly! I'm ready for it. Had my mind set to not have hair when I started chemo, and I managed to keep it all through that, but the PCI did a number on it as expected.

And what the heck - maybe I'll be a redhead with curls next go round! :roll:

Di

Di..

Good decision.

I lost all but about 6 strands of hair and I was determined to keep those little clumps as I thought when my hair started to grow back in that they would really add volume. Wrong!

If I ever go through this again, I am taking out the shears and razors right away. No messing around....

You will be surprised in a pleasant sort of way when your hair does grow back. Mine was as full as it was when I was 16 and came back perfectly permed. At this point it is back to being straight. I just love having hair. I really really love having hair!

In no time, it will grow back.

Cindi o'h

This may be a stupid question but what are PCI treatments? I have read about several people having them and I tried to look up PCI in the glossary but I didn't even know what it stood for.

As for your hair it will grow back. And they make wigs that look just like real hair. People ask my mom all the time who cuts her hair she just laughs and says I 'll tell you who used to cut it, but this is a wig.

PCI = prophylactic (preventive) cranial irradiation

It's done as a preventive measure, mostly for people with SCLC who have achieved clearing or remission of the chest involvement.

The Radiation Oncologist explained it to me like this -- that when treating children with leukemia, they would achieve remission, only for the cancer to come back in the brain, or from the brain and "reseed" areas in the body already treated. They began PCI as a preventive measure and had fairly dramatic results with it. It's been long enough now that there are some study results available -- all of which show a marked benefit.

It's just brain radiation in a lower dose, and varies in the number of treatments from WBR. Different places use different protocols. One study I found is summarized here: http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.org/ ... ct/5/4/293

Di

ofcourse its different for boys..... but i like being bald

You know what I think it is? That under your hair, you guys have tanned leather for scalps. I'd say you were hard heads, but that's a whole other issue! :roll:

My hubby's been bald on top for years. A good friend...actually the one who shaved my head for me (here he is, hard at work and schmaydee you get to see MY mohawk! :wink: )

47b5dc35b3127cce9014895c800f00000016108Abs2bJy4Yt9

...also is bald most of the time, altho now that my hair is coming back, he's growing his too.

The novelty for me wore off once the weather turned cold. Baseball caps were fine....most knit caps are itchy and not so comfy.

This time around with chemo....I'm not going to shave it at first. It's not even 1/2" long yet so we'll see how it goes.

Di....you'll be growing yours back in summer, which is perfect. And you will, at first (I bet) find it kind of freeing and fun NOT to have hair.

It's just that by now...the novelty of bald is WELL worn off. :roll:

Oh Addie!!!! I love the pictures! You look beautful with or without hair...and you too Schmaydee.

I thought it was strange the way Bill's hair has begun to grow back also Diane...he has this upside down frown on the base of his neck where the hair never fell out after WBR; yet as we get further from his last treatment the hair is beginning to grow straight up the back of his head almost like a mohawk....very strange. I think I like my husband better bald too!

GREAT PICTURES...thanks for posting!

Addie

You are exactly what i pictured (minus the mohawk)!! Sweet and beautiful, your smile is catching. The strenght you have awesome. Always finding the good in every situation. This has a postive effect on us all and I thank you!!

This cancer doesnt have chance with you.

In my thoughts and prayers

Kim

This is great! Today's the day -- 5:00 pm and the hair comes off! I'm really ready for this. I was mentally prepared to lose my hair with chemo, and when that didn't happen, I really didn't think much more about it. Now, I'm ready - it's time!

Addie -- I think I'm on the way to knowing what you mean about "freeing." I hate the thought of washing this strange swatch of hair, having to mess with it, and can't do much about my poor dried out scalp because of it. So, when it comes off, my scalp will be pampered for a while -- it's about time!

You guys are the best!

Di

...... i feel a lot more aerodynamic! ......but that could be my imagination.... hard to tell after the pci....

sbeth..i have that upside down frown thing going on too....and "it" grows "fast".....of course "i" couldnt see it and noone told me about it....(kinda like having something in your teeth i guess) sure made me look goofy(er)...why cant it just be all or nothing... .......s

Okay, Di...

It is almost 5:00 where I live... are you getting the jitters?? Hope you have a camera and will post your new "do".

And, Addie, what a handsome woman you turn out to be. And that fella who is shaving your head looks like an angel. What a sweet photo.

Hope to see your new post, Di.

love, Cindi o'h

It's gone! Yay! Feels great!

My first immediate reaction -- brrrrrrrrrrr. So I got the little "fits right next to the scalp" cap out when I got home.

The best -- she put some oil on my head, after rubbing it in her hands a few seconds to warm it up, and I had a head rub. Yummy! She said olive oil is good -- cheap, works like a charm! Who knew?

No pictures. None. Never. Ha! :oops: But, I do have a perfectly round head, that would be really perfect except that when I was little, I was being naughty and jumping up and down on my bed, fell backward, and busted my head open. Ouch! Good thing my dad was a doctor while I was growing up, or they would have gone broke from the doctor bills just to keep me sewed up! (klutz!)

Was glad to do this -- to get it over, and to get some relief from the stringy, icky hair that was hanging on!

Di

Congratulations on the new 'do Di! Mine is about 1 1/2 inches growing back right now and I honestly said today that I kind of liked it being shorter - it was so easy once you got used to it. No need to curl, blow dry or style -

never in a million years did I think I would like it - haha.

Addie you are beautiful in spirit and body!

he has this upside down frown on the base of his neck where the hair never fell out after WBR

Had to comment on this. After PCI.....the back of my head, just above the neck is the ONE SPOT where it kept growing back in! I too, figured the "toaster" missed that spot...but it was like a mustache on the back of my head :? Worse, it had dark hair mixed in with the white so it REALLY stood out! Goofy, huh?

Oh, for a while too, right after PCI....I had a spot higher up where I had a "hair yarmulke" :D But once I shaved there...it never came back in until the hair started coming in all over. It's about 1/4" long now....but so far is coming in everywhere but the top of my head. Can you say "male pattern baldness", boys and girls? :roll:

Cindy, I actually was going to take the digital camera, but when I was trying to get out of here for the appointment, I kept getting stopped, so by the time I rushed out to not be late, I forgot all about it. Since then, I'm not so inclined to have a picture, but may change my mind yet! One never knows!

Di

Di..yeah really!!!

i mean......you dont have to post the pic here or put it in the tennessean....but i dont see how you could "not" have pics for the ol' scrapbook...

how you doing w/the effects of the brain-frys?......looks like you tolerated 'em "pretty good" (great)..... i havent seen where you mentioned you had much trble.... .....s

No, I really haven't. About 2 weeks after it was done, I began feeling "normal" again, except for the dry skin and messing with the hair. I didn't miss any work from it, went home early a few days when I felt "droopy," but that was about it. And I didn't ever need the steroids. The Rad. Onc. and I agreed that as long as the side effects from PCI were less than what they would be from steroids, I'd not take them, so I didn't. And it worked out ok for me.

I didn't have as many treatments as you did, and I think that about the time the big time side effects would have started was the same time I was wrapping up the treatment.

Are you better? I hope so. I know you've had a rough time of it.

Di

...great!!!,

....the best i can tell i'm still kinda messed up from the pci treatments.....i got real sick when they weaned me off the steroids (both times) so i'm back on them now......

that has me concerned......my last PCI was Dec 3, 2004....thats a real long time ago.....just wait and see i guess....

..... all in all i'm doin' ok.....dont feel "good"....but i'm not sick as crap......(which is good enough...i guess)....

......s

Hey, Di...

You don't have to post a full face pic if you're shy....but how about one of the back of your bald head? :wink:

I took one of my long hair, back of the head, before it started coming out...just so I'd have it. I wore my hair up...so nobody saw it down like this very often.

I've only had long hair twice since I was 7 yrs old!! So when someone asks me if I'll grow my hair long again....I say, "Hell NO!! The last time I grew my hair I got cancer!" :?:shock:

See....47b5dc36b3127cce900580f5489e00000016108Abs2bJy4Yt9

Now....nobody knows that's me....so I expect to at least see a pic of the back of your head as you'll retain your anonymity! :wink: