Radiology Report

Justakid

Picked up the radiology report.....here goes.......

Multiple new pulmonary nodules are now identified bilaterally...........2 nodules, right upper lobe, pmm and 5mm..........3 small, less then 5mm nodule in right lower lobe.........at least 4 pulmonary nodules in the left upper lobe, largest is anteriorly and measures 1cm........extensive pleural thickening along the left hemithorax......lobular soft tissue density along the posterior mediastinum in the lower lung zones measureing 4x2cm and likely represents metastatic pleurel disease, this extends down and involves the left hemidiaphragm....there are new lymph nodes in the subcarinal region measuring 3x2 cm....new lymphs in the paratracheal regiob, anterior mediastinum and prevascular region....two lymphs in the left axilla which are enlarged measureing 2.2cm and 1cm. Liver, spleen and adrenal appear normal.

Reads like a death certificate. SOunds like I am being eaten alive. All of this has happened since 12/22/04. The scans from then are clear. Now I know the surgeon can't help me. I can only pray that Atlima works!

Sorry about the spelling and all, had to take another Xanax to get through that report, boy did it kick me in the groin and I'm a girl, I truely know what it's like to be kicked in the balls now!

Comments, thoughts anything on the radiation report?

:cry:

Oh hon.....I wish I had magic words....but all I can tell you is to try to work thru the fear and get back to fighting mode! That's what I'm doing.

I don't have a report to read yet (altho it appears I may have superior vena cava syndrome now....had a CT scan today) and may not have the biopsy results from tomorrow, until Wed. But I know from overwhelmed with all of this, Beth. Heck, I was clean as a whistle on Jan. 3rd......chest, abdomen and pelvis. And look at me now.

Just.....hang in there. Take it as it comes and know you have the whole force of lchelp membership behind you just vibing that the Altima will work!!

Sending a huge hug....

Are you interested in the GVAX trial at all, Beth? Because you have easily accessed tumor in the axilla (armpit) from which to make the vaccine, and measurable disease elsewhere for them to gauge the responses. Did you ask your docs about what type of lung cancer you have (is there a BAC component to your cancer?)

I am so very sorry you are being hit with all of this.

If you are serious about looking at Clinical Trials for treatment then you need to weigh the positives against the negatives. One of the negatives is that many Clinical Trials preclude us as participants if we have received more than one type of chemo. And sadly, we often do not learn this until after we have tried so many other drugs that we no longer qualify. You have to investigate the trials you are interested in to see if you qualify. It's a complicated situation we find ourselves in, Beth.

Wishing you WELL, no matter what you decide.

Beth,

Wow, I am sorry :( But still call surgeons, you can find the best in the country, and call the office and ask. You can read them the report or fax it and the worst they can say is they can't help. But it can't hurt just to try contacting as many experts as you can.

And hopefully Altima will be your magic pill!!

why are you giving up? if you say your not, it sounds like you are.

YOU have to FIGHT. I can't imagine what it is like to have cancer. I know what I fealt every time mom, then dad, now my sister have set backs. I knew that gut kick feeling when new mets appeared. I know what that fealt like but not as a patient myself so please accept my apology for sounding stupid or harsh,

BUT PLEASE I BEG YOU, DON'T GIVE UP.

you have your age on your side. if your adrenals, liver and spleen appear normal, you still can fight. have you read Dave Grants signature, he had it all those places and he is clean now. contact him or his onc. see if they can read your report and recommend something.

LANCE had it everywhere too, he is still here and alive and his cancer is gone too.

please please dig into the depths of your soul and find the courage to fight because to give up is the easy way.

nothing worth having is not worth fighting for.

Beth,

It appears that you were diagnosed with NSCLC. Correct? Since this has grown so fast, I'm wondering if it could possibly be SCLC instead. I hope asking that question doesn't get you more upset or add more fuel to the fire, but as you know, the treatments are a little different. I'm not sure how you would go about looking into this, but maybe you could ask.

Again, I hope and pray that I didn't make this sound worse, but I just had to bring it up - just in case.

Please hang in there, Beth. This is NOT a death certificate. I can feel you shaking and quivering right where I sit. Deep breaths. Take very deep breaths.

Love and prayers,

Peggy

"squirrel that runs up ladies pants leg will find no nuts"... :lol:

(((Beth))),

I like your other pic with the boobs better.. no one can kick u in the ummm with that... I don't know what to say. When I read this report, my first reaction was... this thing is so busy and what does it mean? Beth , please , find someone that you trust to sit down with you and tell you what all that stuff means. These scan reports drive me crazy. Depending on who reads them, they seem like almost no info or it's overkill. This has happened so many times with Mike. We would get a report that would talk about thickenings here and there with possible metatastic activity ... I can't begin to relay what they say, but I only know that the very next one will say, there has been no change and it's not likely that its anything or else things just disappear. Obviously , something is going on, but what? Do you trust your doctor? If not get another opinion. As for treatment, you seem to be thinking about Alimta. Mike is on Alimta and has been since Dec. 6th. He has had 4 treatments so far. I will be more than happy to answer any questions I can about his experience, but please know that it is his experience and his case . I wouldn't want to say anything to discourage or encourage you. The bottom line with him is that the last scans showed he was stable with some slight improvement. He is however tired and has a mild rash.

Beth , let's all head to Cindi's pub and talk this over .. ok. There are a lot of wonderful people that are more knowledgeable than I am on this board. They will be here for you. You have stolen a lot of hearts here and there are tons of prayers going your way. Love ya kid... Pm me if I can be of help.

sue

Sue brings up an excellent point: "These scan reports drive me crazy. Depending on who reads them, they seem like almost no info or it's overkill. "

I spent the entire month of October 2004 having to push and prod and squeeze info out of a few doctors who just wanted to sit and wring their hands and do nothing, when chest x-ray and CT reports were showing stuff in my chest. I'm not the expert by any means, but I did know that I was NOT a good idea to just sit and wait like they wanted to. So, I just pushed. And finally got the right tests. And it was just as my Pulmonologist told me from the start. Nothing to be sitting around wringing hands over.

Now, we do things differently -- I take any and all x-rays and scans to the Pulmonologist's office as soon as they are done, even if I don't have an appointment to see him. His nurse gets them to him, he looks at them, and if I need to know something, they will call me. The oncologists I go to never look at the films -- just the reports.

You know what to do and how to do it so it's best for you, Beth. We're with you all the way. You know that.

Di

Boy, Beth.

I am so glad that you renigged on that pass you asked Ry for awhile back!

You are here for a reason. No doubt.

Peggy brought up a good point. And that is exactly what are we dealing with here???

Fay too.

And Sue.

Great minds.

Put them all together and there will come a sensible plan.

Let's go get a beer...mmmm beer and xanax.. I have never tried that one. I ain't driving, so it is okay.

Cindi

Beth,

Sorry the news wasn't better, but the fat lady is not singing.... I hear NOTHING...

It too amazes me how the scans on 12/22 were clear and now you are at this point? Did you question the Doc at all about that? Seems way out of whack to me. Just know I am praying, and praying hard.

When I first went to this doctor he wasn't sure that it was LC so he pulled the original tissue from the lobectomy and had additional smears done. It is NSCLS adcarcinoma (sp?) I'm gonna ask about the BAC compound as suggested.

Just feeling discouraged, the way that damn report reads, I should be in the hospital on life support, it sounds pretty bad. But I'm still up and around and doing stuff.

I trust my PCP and my Oncologist BUT I do see the surgeon tomorrow and he will tell me what the deal is, also. I'm scared to wait to long and just need to dive into the Altima chemo, this sucker is growing far to fast to wait around much longer, a week could be life or death....since this has grown from 12/22.

Thanks for the support, still working on my shock, hopefully I can get over it soon!

Got my Breathe Deep bracelet today and my 1200 from tobaccofreekids.org. Got em, wearing em, telling everyone about them!

I'll try to change my avatar as soon as I can, Cindy has picked out a new one for me. My son wants me to take my picture wearing his "Survivor Vanuatu" Buff, we'll have to see.

No magic words from me, just wanted to send hugs.

And more Xannax . . . Are you on other drugs too? At the time of my dx, I was on Paxil (anti-depressent) daily, an anti-anxiety drug daily, and an ATIVAN chaser to boot.

And listened to Bernie Siegel on tape every chance I got.

gail

Beth,

Get that buff on pronto. You are the ultimate survivor!!!

I got my bracelets today too. But I have skinny little wrists and it ends up near my elbow. (Only skinny body part). So I guess it will have to be summer clothes before people ask what it is. I got one for each of my children, hopefully they have fat wrists.

Beth, I can't imagine how scared you are. But I think the dr. should interpret the report, it may not be nearly as bad medically as you think.

It does sound more like SCLC than NSCLC with this rapid recurrence, maybe should ? doc.

Hang in there, we need you here.

Yo Beth - Hang tough! Those radiology reports are scary when you read them yourself. You imagine that everything the radiologist puts in the report is something bad, but from my experience with looking at them myself and then having an expert ONC explain it, it almost doesn't sound like the same report. The surgeon should be able to shed some light on it for you. Still beginning Alimta on Wed? So far so good since I had my first dose on Thursday. First couple days was a piece of cake, then got a bit sluggish the third day and more tired the fourth. Take a lot of naps and watch a lot of TV. I got all the Soaps down pat. Didn't realize there were so many of them on all day. Chin up! Prayers coming your way.

CharlieD

Beth: I am amazed that you could have that much stuff happen to you in such a short while. It is no wonder you are feeling overwhemed. I just don't understand how the stuff could grow so fast. I would go ahead and take the alimta, but I would want answers about the nature of my disease. I think it would be a good idea to have a pulmonologist look at the scans, the previous one and the current one. he might have some good insights. I had him look at mine, and he took a lot of time to go over them with me, which i liked. It gave me a good picture of where i was and where I am at now.

Don M

Oh Beth.....I hate hearing this news...and I hate taking up room on this thread in case someone else has legitimate answers for you. I have no knowledge to share...only my heart. BTW....my heart tells me any new battles can and will be won with the help of new drugs, vaccines, clinical trials and so on and so on. You came here to join up with survivors....and you "ARE" one Beth!! This fight is not over girlfriend....

Beth,

I guess I am like you in that I have no idea what to say. This is all so fast. Too fast. I would get some third party to look at your 12/22 scans and compare them to these. Maybe biopsy the one under your arm pit. Know what cell type these are and go from there. I don't blame you for getting in a hurry..I would want to start to do something asap. All I am saying is this sure is fast growing and I would want to make sure they know exactly the cell type they are dealing with. Honey, don't give up. When the next treatment works (hopefully the alimta) it will slow things down and turn them around. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I think of you every day. Keep in touch and don't worry about the xanax. Take it. If this isn't an anxiety filled situation..there are none.

Nina