Can you help to tell me side effects

ginnyd

While my husband's brain MRI and chest/abdomen scans are clean, his thoracic surgeon told us this am that he should have radiation. When I said that the first surgeon we met with and the radiologist at his hospital said they would not recommend radiation, he said that they had not done the surgery and seen what he saw, which was the lymph node involvement. And although the nodes appear ok on his scan he still thinks he should have radiation as a 'preventive' treatment.

What I want to know is what side effects we can expect? There are going to radiate the center of his chest. Also, what is radiation pnuemontis, symptons etc.

Thanks for you input.

It always seems two steps forward, one step back. But I guess that nets 1 step forward which is always good news.

My wife had radiation on three bone mets, one of which was on her upper spine. From that treatment, she got a very irritated throat. Although the visual scope showed no damage, she lost her voice for a time (now fully recovered) and also had a hard time swallowing (now much better). Anything in the general area gets radiation, too. Don

Well I understand your confusion! When you say radiologist, do you mean the radiation oncologist? In other words, the person that would set up the treatments etc? If so, I think his opinion trumps the surgeons, as that is not his field (the surgeons). Maybe a second opinion?

I had several radiation treatments to my right lung and during the treatment experienced extreme tiredness. Also, because it was so close to my throat, I had a difficult time swallowing for a while.

Also, I had radiation pneumonitis which the oncologist says can occur up to several months after radiation. With me it has been scar tissure formation in the raidiated lung, pleural effusion, and extreme shortness of breath. So short of breath that I am on oxygen 24/7 along with a heavy dose of prednisone.

Sue M

Hi Ginny.... my dad just developed radiation pneumonitis. Itis an inflammation of the lung due to radiation, from what I understand it can occur 6 weeks into the treatment, however my dad developed it 4 weeks into radiation. his symtoms were extreme shortness of breath. I have also read any form of taxol should not be taken because this could intensify the pneumonitis.hope this helps......cathy