Has therapy helped you?

Andrea

Has therapy (as in talking to a professional) helped you deal with your fears/anxiety?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Has therapy (as in talking to a professional) helped you deal with your fears/anxiety?

• A. I have never seen a therapist
    • B. I have seen a therapist but it has not helped calmed my fears
    • C. I have seen a therapist and found it helpful

Hi. I am posting this in family members section instead of general because while everyone is welcome to partake in the poll, I am not the patient, so I cannot even compare my own fears/neurosis to what the patients are going through. (Hope that made sense ) :)

My neurosis/fears hit an all time high lately, it may be b/c I am on a lot of medication for fertility. For instance, I shared this secret with someone earlier, I just realized today for the first time that one breast is slightly larger than the other and I got all scared, only to later find out that almost everyone has that and it is normal and I probably just never noticed :) My dr kind of chuckled today when I mentioned it, he said we just did a breast exam in Nov and most woman are a little uneven :) I said well I measured and it was like an inch :oops: See, crazy person at times. However, my boss said since I can laugh at my neurosis, it is not as bad.

Anyway, my question is the roll of therapy in helping with fears.

No answer to give--but I'm interested in seeing what others have to say. Have been thinking of figuring out how to network some 'talking it through' support when I head back to IL.

Andrea--your story made me chuckle. I'm a little uneven too. Actually very. Can remember one time Mom saying, "Val... you're crooked! Go fix yourself!" And I was like... "I can't! I'm just made this way!" :lol:

(((hugs))) to you and hang in there.

Dear Andrea,

Therapy has been a lifesaver for me, and that might even be an understatement. I was lucky enough to have been seeing the most fabulous pyschologist prior to my mom's diagnosis and death. She helped me SO much. Of course, you need to have the right one. I was starting to experience physical conditions due to my anxiety and the therapy even helped with this. I would be more than happy to share more with you.

Hugs to you.

Hi Andrea,

I starting seeing a therapist when my mom was diagnosed, to help deal with all the emotions that come along with a Stage IV diagnosis. It was very helpful. After my mom died, I found it helpful to talk with her about my dad, because as you know, we were fighting all the time and not getting along. She helped me there tremendously. But when it came to talking about my mom, I found it tough. I hated knowing I was going there Wednesdays at 12, was going to cry for an hour and had to wrap it up at 1, so I could get back to work. I am sure I could have made it less stressful if I went after work, but I decided to take a break for a while. Probably going to start seeing her again this spring. Sorry for rambling, hope this helped.

Love,

Denise

Hi Karen,

She does help me, but I think I work myself up before going in and that stress effects my sessions with her. And I guess I am not always in the mood to think about my mom's death on Wednesdays at 12.

I am very happy to hear that you love your therapist. You, Dave and Faith are in my prayers each night.

Love,

Denise

Andrea, I have thought about this, I keep too much inside, don't like to share too much with friends either how I really feel, and I go around and act like everything is just honky dorry. I know I really do need someone, I am also afraid if I see anyone I could lose my job. I don't know if anyone else has this fear, but I know it can happen.

Rosemary

Rosey, lose your job? because you had therapy? what kind of work do you do?

at my job, if you're having personal problems they can practically make you go to therapy, or at least make you go see the employee assistance people.

how is your husband doing? I just noticed that he has sclc with mets to the spine and now so does Dave. wondering how his spine is doing.

Karen

Andrea,

No, I have never seen a therapist. I guess I have been very fornunate. I have never felt depressed over my illness, well no longer than a few hours or a day. When I was going through my treatment I told myself everyday I was going to make it. And Andrea I have never measured my breast either, but its not that much to measure.

Best Wishes,

Dee

Although what I went through was not technically "therapy"....it was a grief recovery group....it helped IMMENSELY!~! I did learn that it's never too early to address the losses in your life.....we're all grieving....grieving the loss of health, grieving the loss of a loved one, greiving the loss of NORMAL.....I can't begin to tell you how much it helped me....

I'm still sad....but I figured out how to let go of the PAIN....does that make sense? I still miss Mom terribly....but it doesn't have that nagging, dragging painful feeling.

Therapy was never offered or suggested to me from any of my doctors - I just assumed it was an "insurance thing" and I wasn't eligible. Although I am NED and thankful to be there, I still have issues and wish I had someone to talk to from time to time. All I was offered was an antidepressant which I still take, but I think talking to someone about my experiences might make a difference.

Terrie,

One option is contact your local ACS (American Cancer Society). They should have a counselor on staff. Another option is to ask your health care provider for a referral to a counselor. There are all kinds of "loopholes" that are provider specific. I can give you a "for instance":

I noticed some cognitive issues, discussed them with my PCP. She sent me for an MRI to see if it was a cancer issue (no). THEN, she sent me to a neuropsychologist for testing. Were I to have gone to the neuropsych on my own, it would be considered a "mental health" issue and my insurance would have covered about 50%. My doctor sent me, it was considered a "medical issue" and was 85% covered AND at that time, I had met my deductible and it was "free" (uh, yeah, right...LOL).

For you, you would need to contact the number on the back of your insurance card and ask what your coverage is for counseling, etc.

..but, ACS is free...

• 2 weeks later...

I started therapy many years ago when I was going through a terrible divorce from a man who literally lost his mind! very sad, very difficult. it probably took me several yeras to work through a bunch of stuff that the divorce engendered as well as triggered.... then i stayed with my therapist for several years after that to deal with other life issues as they came up, which was helpful to me, she was like my "coach." I pretty much dipped in and out of sessions with her depending on what was going on in my life but i can honestly say that she helped me a great deal, not only in dealing with feelings, but helping me to make really good life choices and take some serious risks (like quitting my job and starting my own business!!) for which i am very thankful.

Last fall, she decided to make some life changes and left the area! Not great timing for me with my dad's illness and passing on march 3, 2005 but i was buoyed by all the life lesson's and learning and healing I had recevied from our time together. So absolutely! therapy, with a good person, i do believe in wholeheartedly. And my goodness, i am having a difficult enough time with my dad's passing and I know that without my prior therapy it would be that much worse (is that possible???).....

tomorrow i start individual grief counseling at a grief center here in DC (they take Blue Cross) and I also will see hospice for their free 4 grief therapy sessions AND I'll join a grief support group. There are so many things to deal with now, from the emotional to the practical and all the mixutures of both that i'm going to go for as much help as I can get. And I do this because I know that therapy has helped me in the past, and I know there is a rainbow out there on the horizon and even though i'm immersed in my grief, I know that there is good and beauty to come from this pain. I know it because that's the way life is IF you know or learn how to find the beauty amidst the pain. I'm not sure I know how, but I'm sure I can learn. Love Lori

Hi Andrea,

I can't afford therapy and my independant Blue Cross didn't cover it, as I was freelancing for the last couple of years, I lost my real insurance. I may try to go to some grief consuling when I get back to the States, after I get insurance through my new work in AZ.

I remember they were talking about putting my Mom in a hospice and one of the benefits was free consuling and my stepfather said "We don't need it, we have each other" then proceeded to call me names, and no one in my family talks about anything. They avoid it. I talk to my real Dad but he is also so sad it is hard. I would love to try to get help, especially since my Brother also died a few years ago, and I feel guilty about Mom's death and I think keeping it in is a problem, also probably why I can't get close to people. so, I want to try.