what is it with the food network??

shelliemacs

ok, reading beth's first treatment day and how she was heading to her couch to watch Food TV got me wondering.

when mom and dad and my cousin tom were all on chemo and radiation, they constantly ( I MEAN OBSESSIVELY) watched to food network. hour after hour, day after day.

now don't get me wrong, I love food but can't boil water to save a life. But why would those of you who are sick and have nausea from the smell or thought of food on chemo and radiation watch television about food. doesn't that make you feel oogily?

I am just curious.

I don't understand it either. I had "chemo" nausea over the weekend and couldn't stand the smell of coffee or any food and certainly didn't want to think about it. It might be the dexadron (sp?) tho. Makes you unbelievably hungry, even if you do feel a little sick.

Maybe Justakid will explain this. Haven't read her post yet.

Muriel K.

I think it is because there is absolutely NOTHING else on during the day. At least with the food network, you can learn something. You know how they always say, "Oh, I wish we had smell-a-vision" it smells so good in this studio", well, I'm glad that we can't smell it. I can look at it, just not smell it.

So, I say it's because it's the only thing on.......anyone else?

TAnn

Oh my..Food Network, you either are a die hard fan or your not. There have been 2 times in recent yrs that I would never change my TV from that. I am not a tv watcher at all, but if I am gonna watch thats where i go. I have gotten my youngest daughter(13) watching it and as for about 4-5 yrs. She loves it, its a great educational channel as they go around the globe searching for foods. She wants to be a chef when she gets older.

I even got my boyfriend watching it. At least though now since I am on here all the time, Food Network is not constantly on. Also we love to cook, and you get cool ideas and stuff. BUT when watching it faithfully my grocery bill jumps sky high cuz we are always trying new things which of course we never have ALL the ingreidants.

I am a Fan, can you tell??

Kim

Shellie,

I have no clue but Earl when he was first sick became a Trekkie - not my cup of tea, but he really enjoyed it. As time went by he switched to the Food Network. Watched it all day. I have no idea why. The only thing that I can think of is that he didn't have to think or really pay attention but was entertained.

Do we see a theme here?

Well count Fred in, I came home from work tonight and he had on Cake Decorateing on the Food Net, go figure took him out for breakfast Belgum Waffles and he hardly ate a thing. His favorites are NYPD and LA Law, but when there not on it usually the food net. Maybe it satisfies the mind, I had always thought it would stimulate his appitite. :(

Rosemary

I found that after surgery and during radiation, I watched a lot of "America's Funniest Home Videos". I know what the reason was, they weren't violent. My husband watches a lot of the History Channel's war documentaries, movies that were on were full of violence and hate, everything seemed so "sharp". Home videos were funny, sweet at times, and there was no blood, no dying, no gratuitous violence. "Soft"..."easy on the mind"...

All thru chemo & radiation I was pretty sick and tired but never turned down any meals.I've always eaten regular even when sick.

I am also one of the worlds worst cooks (can't cook at all).But I still like watching food network at times.Mostly Emmerill Lagasse because I find it to be entertaining.

But wouldn't pass up a good movie for it.

Count me in but I'm not addicted. I really enjoy Emeril and Molto Mario. They are entertaining. Besides, my wife won't let me watch the Playboy Channel. Calls me a "Dirty ole Man" She says it's the same as a dog chasing a car. What the hell is he gonna do with it if he catches it. She's got a point.

I just called my mom and asked for her input b/c she too developed a sudden interest in the food ch annel. She cannot exactly articulate why, but she gave a laundry list of people she loved to watcn and I can't remember them all but she said Paula Dean, Rachel Rey and Bobby Flay who she says is the sexy one :)

So her input is she has no idea why, but she too loves food channel, and never really watched before

When I was home during the first treatment, I got tired of everything else. I started watching food TV and it was safe because I couldn't smell it, a lot of the chefs are funny and you think one day, wow maybe I can try that. It's the safe way to eat with your eyes. I would call my mom and say someday you have to make that for me. Carlorie Camando was good too cause he took regular recipes and cut the fat and calories from them.

Just something else to add to my reality TV, CSI's and court TV shows. Haven't been able to get into the game show channel yet!

ok, i turned it on when I got home yesturday and this girl, (trying to remember her name) makes all this semi-home made stuff. with half already made things like cake batter and cookie batter and then embilishes it with real out of the cupboard ingredients.

she is neat to watch cause if its a slice and bake cookie, i can do that without burning the house down.

that italian girl who is related to someone famous I like her too. except for the fact that she eats everything she cooks but weighs about 6 pounds and is unbelieveable pretty.

ok, now i hate her.

I have always enjoyed watching Food Network and Dennis really liked it when he was getting treatment. There were many days I would actually cook something from one of the shows that he thought sounded great. But...he would take a few bites and change his mind. I think it was because of his lack of appetite and not my cooking...lol! I used to be a really big Emeril fan and still enjoy him at times. Now, I am a great fan of Paula Deen from Savannah. She's this down home southern gal with a great sense of humor and an appetite to match. There's nothing that makes less sense that a skinny cook and Paula's not skinny!

The Food network is great. I really didn't watch it when I was sick. But I watch it some now. Everyday Italian is good, Barefoot Contessa is also good. My favorite is Paula's Homecooking. I just love Paula Dean. I have three of her cookbooks. Everytime I make a new dish, my family ask if this a Paula dish. Real down home southern cooking. The downside is we all have gained weight.

Best Wishes,

Dee

When I was taking regular Chemo and was feeling bad; I did not watch any television. When I moved, it was trying to get some food in me.

BUT: I think a good reason to look at the food network would be to say to yourself: " When I am feeling better, I am going to eat this, that and everything they are making." Having a big appetite to look forward to.

Just a thought. Marion