Had my first vaccine shot Wednesday

cathyr

Hi all,

I wanted to let you know what was happening with this vaccine trial I started. I had the Cytoxan chemo 2 days before the vaccine. No problem. The day of the vaccine I had to have a series of skin test that include tuberculosis, clyamedia, and other things as well as a test to check my immune system. I have to go back to the med center every few days for them to "read" my skin results.

The vaccine procedure was pretty tedious and stressful. You lay still for a couple hours while the top of your foot is being given xylocaine. They inject a blue dye to find out where the lymph channel is in the foot. When located they cut the skin and inject the needle with the (in my case) donated cells directly into the vein. They have to do this slowly. You can feel it go up your leg and thigh. Then they stitch the foot and we repeat this process in 2 weeks for up to 8 weeks. I also have to give myself an injection of leukine under the skin in my thigh every day for 8 days.

Needless to say, I am grateful I can do this. It was very emotional and stressful. I am praying so hard that it works (if not for me then for future patients). Again, they are accepting new patients everyday into this trial. I know people who have nothing but medicare who are on it. They doctor works out of St. Vincent Medical Center. They have a lot of out of towner patients and have living provisions for them at the Medical Center. They

take stage 4 patients. If anyone is interested, please contact me and I will be happy to give phone numbers.

Anyway, that's it for now. I am resting today. First day without having to see a doctor in a week! My love to you all!

CathyR

Cathy,

Wow! That sounds like it is a very tedious process, but worth it if it works!

You are one brave girl. I really admire your positive outlook. Good luck with the future treatments, and stay off that foot!

Isn't it great to have a day to rest and not go anywhere????

TAnn

Cathy

I am so happy that you finally are able to get this treatment. I know its been long tedious journey to this point. You have perservered and your strength is amazing. But when you said in your post, that if not you, maybe someone else could benefit from what you are doing, I realized what a truly incredible woman you are. This will work for you, i can just feel it.

Keep us posted and you are in my prayers.

God Bless

Kim

Oh Cathy you are so brave. You are going through so much, that I feel this will all work out for you.

Keep us posted as to your progress.

Hang in there, your plate is so full.

Thinking of you and sending meditation healing.

Maryanne