Please tell me about portacaths

Addie

My onc wants to install one after the first cycle of chemo. I guess he figures w/ four chemos a week, every three weeks....not to mention all the other recent punctures...that it's a good idea.

I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who've had them or know about them.

I do have good veins. Most of my chemo before, they put the IVs in my hands. I'm what you call a "plumber's delight" :wink: ....but those veins will only hold up for so long I suppose.

I know the port has to be flushed every six weeks or so whether it's being used or not. But I haven't done any research on it yet...just going to do that and wanted to post here to get the word from those who know!

Anyone?

I have no direct knowledge as I ended up not getting one,, yet. I was in a similar situation a while back and all the feed back I got and all I heard was get one. I have heard talk of infections but that seemed to be unusual. All I have seen is the veins do stop producing as easily as they do in the beginning and it gets to be a hassle and painful when they have to poke and dig, and at one point I almost didn’t get my treatment cause they couldn’t get it. Also my hand s area is starting to be tender from all the holes they poke.

I am at a point where possibly my treatments will slow up so I decided to wait and see, but I have to say I wish I would have listened to all those who said they got a port at the beginning.

There are many folks here that will tell you what there are like. Look at Feb 2 post Port-A-Cath Risks and Maintenance

Bo

Addie,

I had a port installed at the beginning of this journey and it has been a real blessing. It makes getting chemo and giving many tubes of blood at once a real easy process. When you are not activly using it it requires flushing, my onc's office does it monthly. I have terrible veins and the last 16 months would have been much harder on me if I hadn't had the port.

While I have never had it happen, there is a slight possibility of infection, as there is with any thing you get installed in your body.

Mine is very unobtrusive, and when they installed it, they were able to start chemo the next day.

Good luck, hang in there, and prayers coming your way

Blessings

Betty

Good morning, remember me?

I had my port installed after the first chemo when my veins kept rolling. I kept mine in for 2.5 years and it made chemo, blood tests etc a breeze, CT and MRI contrasts can also be put in that way. I also had an unrelated surgery on my hand during this time and my port was used at that then too.

All in all it's real easy, once I was finished with regular tx I had mine flushed at my PCP's office every month (she has a nurse who is trained to access them).

For me it was well worth it, not something I'd be concerned about having done again if the need arises.

take care,

Geri

Good morning, remember me?

Hmmmmm....not sure. Come here often? :wink:

I forgot you had a cath, Geri...but thanks for the reminder and the more info I get, it seems it's prob. a good idea to go ahead with it.

Bo, thanks for the referral to the other thread. I prob. missed it then because it wasn't of specific interest to me. It is now...and there was some good info in the thread. Thanks.

Just like to have my ducks in a row and any questions ready before something "new" happens. So all this info helps a lot. Thanks, all.

I had a cath put in....mine was on the inner side of my upper right arm. It made chemo sessions so much easier. The only problem was keeping it dry. My hubby wrapped my upper arm in saran wrap before showers. If and when I'm faced with chemo again...I will request another one. Good luck if you decide to try one.

Mayos, this is the first I've heard that you have to keep them dry!! So they need to be covered in something if you bathe or shower? Listen to me.....IF you bath and shower. :roll:

I meant to say...WHEN! :wink:

Hmmm...will investigate further...but still think it's gotta be the way to go if there is a chance of some long term chemo and lots of blood work. Just in this last week...I don't know how many times I've been stuck for bloodwork, dye contrast, more bloodworks. All I know is that both inner elbows are a bit bruised!

Portacath sounds good even if I have to keep it dry. Anyone else have anything to add to the keeping it dry part?

Addie, I don't think you need to "keep them dry." My friend has one and has a swimming pool. She said that she was told to wait a day after the port was accessed before swimming.

I've had mine since mid-Sept 2003 and wouldn't do chemo without it. No problems. I didn't have chemo between mid-Nov 2003 and Feb 2005. I had it "flushed" every 4 - 6 weeks at my Oncs office. Just took a couple minutes.

I strongly advise getting one!

Muriel K

Addie,

There are Port A Caths, which are implanted under the skin and do not require covering with saran wrap or anything else, and there are PICC Lines (I think that's the right term) that are external and do require covering. With a port a cath you can bathe, swim, etc. because the entire apparatus is under the skin. I have a small incision on the left side of my chest several inches below the clavical where the port itself is attached to muscle. There is another small incision in my neck where they tubing that runs from the port is threaded into my internal jugular. It was my understanding that the right side is the preferred side of the chest for port installation, but I couldn't have it done there because of previous surgery and scarring.

I have to take antibiotics before having dental cleaning or other dental work done, and I have the port flushed with saline and "primed" with a tiny amount of Heparin to inhibit blood clot formation in the port, which would render it useless.

I've had mine in for 19 months, and I don't regret having it installed or leaving it in, even though conventional chemo ended a little over a year ago. It has been used to administer drugs during a few surgical procedures, to administer dye for a scan once when my veins would not cooperate, and for blood draws a number of times when my veins would not work.

Oh...and the Port a cath is MRI compatible...no metal...at least mine is.

Addie,

Earl had one installed on upper right chest. It was done by an interventional radiologist. It was a no brainer. He too could get it wet and he too had it flushed about every 4-6 weeks.

BIG HINT - Get an RX for Emla cream. It is a numbing cream. Put in on about 1/2 hour before it will be used and cover it with Saran wrap so the cream doesn't wipe off. Now you won't feel when they break the skin with the needle.

Lucie had a port installed under her skin just below the collar bone on the breast. Unfortunately, it was used in a hospital stay and she developed a staph infection in it. It had to be removed. After she healed, a port was installed on the left side, and she has had it for over two years now. We were told to only use it for chemo and such, and we have abided by that. No problems. Each time it is used, it must be flushed with saline and with Heperin (blood thinner). Lucie's veins are very small and hard to get to, so this has been a boon. She likes having the port. In your case, it is probably a precaution since veins do collapse with constant use. Good luck. Don

Jumping in late here, but I loved the portacath (implanted in your chest under the skin). I had chemo daily for 5 days took the weekend off then had to come back on the following Monday so I had it 6 days every 3 weeks. That's alot of sticks and pokes without the cath.

It is pretty easy to take out too. I know many keep there's for a long time after they complete treatment - I opted to take mine out two months after I finished chemo.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Wendy

My mother had one for 2 days before

being Hospitalized and getting a staph infection....

or getting a staph infection and being Hospitalized... :(

We never figured out whichshakinghead_smileyface_yellow.gif

She had to have surgery 2x to clean up of the wound.

Then she had wound care daily w/Tender Wet...and now she's left with a nasty looking scar/indentation.

So, she won't be getting another one. If she needs more chemo, she is going to try a PICC Line.

But, as you see from others on this board, most of the time there is no problem.

Just wanted to share our experience.

Good Luck!

Addie,

I think the keeping it dry thing is only till the incision heals. They told John no swimming etc but that was just until the skin was healed. You don't want any bacteria to infect it until its healed. John loves his and so do the nurses, makes it much easier on them.

Hi Addie,

I had a port installed after my first round of chemo (Nov. of 2003) and

still have it in. Actually I'm having it taken out on March 10th. I have

crappy veins. If you have good veins, why do they want you to have it?

I'm asking because I had to go under general anthes. to have it done. You have to get in flushed every 5 to 6 weeks. It serves it's purpose well, but can also be a bother. I don't feel it in me and it's wasn't painful to have put in, but like I said I had to go to the hospital to maintain it and

that was a bother for me. If your going to be at the hospital anyway and have good insurance coverage go for it. It's actually a personal decision.

If the Dr.'s really want you to have it, do it. Take care and good luck.

Addie,

I had my port put in in anticipation of chemo, before I was released from the hosp for something else. I have great veins, but after 4 6day rounds of VP-16(etoposide)/cisplatin, my veins were crud -- couldn't hold a catheter/picc line for contrast for scans. Took a while for the veins to come back enough to hold the scan contrast catheter -- like 2 years. I have been stalling getting mine taken out because SOMEWHERE in this silly wee brain of mine I fear invoking Murphy by having it removed.

Now, as I approach 5 years post diagnosis/ 4 1/2 years post surgery, I am gearing up to schedule its removal. And hoping Murphy is no longer an issue.

Saves a lot of wear and tear on the arm veins, especially as time goes on. Understandably, there is the risk of infection initially, but I had no problems and I know many here didn't have any either. Mine is still good for blood draw etc, even though I have been very lazy about having it flushed absolutely regularly. I have a one inch scar a few inches under my clavicle on the right, and it looks like a bottle cap under the skin (mine has come close to the surface over time). I didn't even have the numbing cream, still it was great -- no bruising or bleeding, or bandages on the arms....

Good luck to you Addie, I think having a port will work out well for you.

Love and hugs.

XOXOXOXOX

Prayers always,

MaryAnn

Many thanks to all of you for your input. Seems the cath is a good idea, even with good veins....because eventually they are going to give out. Benefits seem to outweigh the risks...so I assume after this week of chemo, my onc will set me up for the port.

Thanks again for all the info. Helps more than you know to get it direct, rather than off the net or from a doc or nurse who.....ahem.....has never actually HAD one! :roll:

So sorry to confuse the "keeping it dry" issue Addie. Fay was right about the one in my arm being a'Picc Line'....even tho I was probably mistakenly told to keep it dry. I also had a porta cath placed in my neck for awhile and my mind does tend to wander. BTW...my hubby didn't wrap my head in saran wrap during that time either.( har dee har)... I think both methods are better than being stuck repeatedly and worrying yourself silly about the nurse hitting the vein or not.