Looks like most of us are in the same boat here...

My dad is turning 60 on March 15th of this year. This past December he was diagnosed with stage 4 nonsmall cell lung cancer. The scans have shown cancer in his left lung, right lung, collar bone, lymph in the upper torso and in the spine around his neck. They have him on Chemotherapy; he will be given his 3rd dose on 2/24/05. They have been giving him chemo every 3 weeks. He is taking Carboplatin (Paraplatin) and Paclitaxel (Taxol). They also give him something for the nausea starting I think the day before each Chemo. It is a steroid I believe. His symptoms have been mostly minor; he lost his hair after the 1st treatment, he has been nauseous a few times, his appetite is smaller although still there (he just can’t eat much in one sitting, he gets full fast), he is very tired, and he has gotten a 2 day cold/flu twice.

Despite the circumstances, his spirit is AMAZING. He continues to be a pillar of strength and hope. He is determined to be well and fight this horrible cancer. He is a wonderful example to follow. I do believe that surviving this horrible battle with cancer has a lot to do with faith and your state of mind.

I feel that the chemo is harder on his body with each treatment. I have talked to him about nutrition and he is doing well in that regard. I am interested in learning of alternative treatments that I can safely offer him to increase his vitality. I am open to hearing any suggestions you may have for him.

Jenn,

You are so right, having faith and staying

positive is a how we beat this disease. I

had the same chemo Taxol/Carboplatin

as your father plus I had radiation. You just help

your dad as much as you can and everything will be

all right. There are quite a few people here with the same stage

as your father and NSCLC. You will probably get

quite a few people responding to you. I will keep

your dad in my prayers. Please let us know often how he is

doing.

Blessings, prayers and gentle hugs,

Karen

Hi Jenn.

I am so proud of your Dad...way to go Dad!! I bet he is just a joy to be around.

I have to agree with you on the attitude thing. It was a big part of why I am still here. The other is faith and prayers...even from strangers. Even from across the country including as far away as Hawaii, if not farther.

Keep us updated on your Dad. I wonder if he has access to the internet? I will bet that he is one of those guys who could inspire our group.

Welcome to our group.

Cindi o'h

Jenn,

Welcome to the club none of us wanted to join :) You are going to find lots of support and information here. There are a bunch of worried daugthers such as yourself (and myself) here.

Keep posting! Looking forward to getting to know you

Welcome, Jenn. Your dad's positive attitude will take him far. My wife is also NSCLC, Stage IV, and has survived this disease 28 months now. While your dad is taking chemo, it may be better to feed him small snacks every two hours rather than the three normal larger meals. It will keep him nutritious and also tend to keep the nausea down. Keep us posted. Don

Your post tells me alot. Very positive outlook coupled with good medicine and good nutrition equals great results. Your Dad is young and with all of that, he has ALOT going for him. If he doesn't feel like eating, give him Ensure drinks and maybe Gatorade to keep him going. We're all here for you. Bless you, Dad! Keep going.

Joanie