the end of chemo treatment

jorja

hi everyone,

Can anyone please tell me what they felt like at the end of their chemo session? My dad had his last chemo a few weeks ago and now he is feeling worse. He's had high fever and he doesn't feel like doing anything. Is this normal? His other chemo sessions were not this bad.

Very worried,

J

J

Feeling badder and badder with each chemo is expected. It has a cumulative effect.

Having a fever gives reason to call the onc's office immediately. If you cannot get ahold of them then dad needs to go to the ER pronto. Did they not tell you this during your chemo class? Please act on this right away.

Cindi o'h

Last week my dad went to his family doctor and gave him some antibiotics because he has a cold/flu. I am not at home right now...my mom says he hasn't had a fever in a few days.....My mom is sick now (caught the cold).

Thank you for your replies....they make me feel better.

Jorja

Jorja, The only thing I could add to the above posts is that the chemo stays in the body and keeps on working after chemo is finished.I was told 4 to 6 weeks after.??

I was still feeling effects from chemo at least that long after I was finished.But did notice I kept feeling better every couple days.

Jorja

Give your Dad a but more time. My mom is still not herself and treatment ended in OCtober. She felt quite abit worse after it all ended than she did going thru the chemo and radiaition. But she is slowly regaing her strenght. She does still get an arensep shot every 2 weeks, for borberline low white blood cells. Hopefully hen we go back in 4 weeks, she can end those.

Tell your Dad it will get better.

God bless

kim

I agree with the others....and am VERY glad Dad saw his doc when he had the fever. ANY sign of infection/fever should ALWAYS be reported to the doctor!! Can get serious fast, when your immunity is suppressed by chemo. :shock:

She does still get an arensep shot every 2 weeks, for borberline low white blood cells

Not to pick a nit with you kimmek :wink: but Aranesp is for RED blood cells....for if you are anemic from treatment. Neupogen or Neulasta are given to boost WHITE blood cells...the infection fighters.

Both are important, if your count numbers drop...but I think with RBCs lowered, the anemia makes you a lot more tired.

I automatically get a Neupogen shot at the end of each chemo cycle to keep my white count UP, within normal range. I've been very lucky...it works well for me. And during my last rounds of chemo, eventually they gave me an Aranesp too...but I think I only got that shot every TWO weeks. My RBCs did go JUST under the lower end of the normal range...so were a tad low, but not drastically. Last time I had my bloodwork done...there were within range. We'll see how it goes with future cycles, now that I'm back on chemo again.

Okay....enough of me. Had my Decadron today and I CAN'T SHUT UP!! :roll::wink: