Bad news - and change of chemo drug

Summer

So here I was posting my happy Newcomer's post just the other day, reporting how well things were going. My partner was to have this 6th chemo of Carbo/VP16 this week, but at today's appointment Doc reported that the cancer appears to be on the move - increased in size in the left lung and moving into the right lung. We had an inkling something was going on as the shoulder pain came back in the last few days and spread into his back. He will have a bone scan on Monday.

We're moving on to Topotecan. I'd like to hear what others' experience with this drug might have been. My partner has had one cycle (and a bad experience) of CAV, the same class of drug but Topo is supposed to be easier to tolerate? Our oncologist told us that it wipes out the white blood cells; I'm worried, and would appreciate any input.

Hi Summer....

I saw your reply on my post...re: Topo...so will just reiterate that I had NO issues. Actually, yesterday the nurse told me it tends to produce fewer nausea issues than a lot of other drugs! I thought I'd read otherwise on the internet...but sure liked her comment better!

As to white cells....part of that issue is that they've already been suppressed by the earlier treatment. So starting a new chemo just sort of enhances the process. But I had a Neulasta shot a day after my last chemo on cycles 2 thru 6 last time. And will have one every time, this time! My white cells have never dipped below normal range and I have a couple other autoimmune conditions going. :shock:

The nurses did indicate they may dip a bit more this time....and of course I had them remind me yesterday that the most "vulnerable" period for infections is 7-10 days out from chemo....but again, she said that tends to apply more strongly when you're taking the platin drugs (cisplatin or carboplatin.)

Getting so I know more about this stuff than I wanna.....you know? :roll: But I'm sending up thoughts that your SO responds well to the Topotecan and sees some improvement....some shrinkage and certainly stopping the growth of new tumors. Try a little positive imagery along with tx. Can't hurt and may help. You can read about what I do in the other thread.

Best of luck....keep us posted!

Hi Summer,

So sorry about your distressing news.

I cannot help you with your question. I just want you to know that Iam thinking of your both, and hope this work out for him.

Sending healing thoughts to you both.

Maryanne

I have to agree with Addie. We all seem to know way more about this disease than we ever wanted to know. My husband was given Topetecan as a second round chemo. This chemo really did a number on his immune system and blood counts. But...this can be easily controlled. Just hang in there!!! Keeping you in my prayers.

Summer,

I hope your partner has good luck with the topo. As Addie said, the white blood cell effects can be taken care of fairly easily with neulasta (even though that can cause other side effects such as joint pain). Len had one of the platons (carbo) and his white count did go down, as did his hemoglobin, but no real problems -- thanks to all those nasty injections (neupegen, the first time, then neulasta with the chemo thereafter, plus procrit).

Keep your chins up and keep attacking that nasty stuff with everything they've got. We're thinking of you and sending all good vibes!

Ellen

Like Addie suggested I applied some positive imagery, for me it was Space invaders. I blasted huge holes into the cancer until I saw the solid rec bricks (normal cells) behind the bad ones....

Doc had us stop Procrit as the earlier anemia is now gone, but I'm wondering if we should not consider resuming, knowing that Topotecan depletes both red and white cells. We'll ask about Neulasta also - thanks.

Most oncs will test the blood each chemo cycle, to stay on top of both WBCs and RBCs. Certainly, your SO can inquire and even get a copy of the reports to keep at home, if he wishes. They are his records! They won't give the shots unless they feel they are needed....but conversely, your SO should report any change in how he feels. If he's more tired, maybe the RBCs have dipped again, between tests.

Keep up the positive imagery too. I think it really does help to positively picture the cancer being expunged from our bodies. I try to do it at least once daily.

Keep us updated and I hope his bone scan is clean...but better to find anything sooner, rather than later. Be sure to let us know when you hear results.

My mom didn't have any problems with topotecan, other than lowered red and white blood counts. She started procrit and neulasta shots that helped. She also had one cycle of the CAV and that made her sick for over a week. The side effects from topotecan were minor compared to the CAV. I hope the topotecan works for your partner.