My dad newly diagnosed w/ SCLC

Guest Iiris

Guest Iiris

Hi. I'm 53 y/o, female, from Iowa. My dad was just diagnosed with SCLC today. We don't know if it's limited or extensive yet but from all I've read today, it sounds like extensive. He's 73 y/o and has had emphysema for 2 years. He's been hospitalized the last 10 days with pneumonia and wasn't getting any better so they did an MRI last week with the results coming back today. Since then, he's also had a pneumothorax and pleurisy. He's not eating and is on morphine for the pleurisy pain. He can barely breathe and can't walk cuz he's so weak. The dr emphasized how aggressive SCLC is today several times when he was discussing it with my mom and dad. Everything I've read doesn't seem very positive. I think they'll be moving him soon to a larger hospital for more tests to find out what stage it's in before they make any treatment decisions. I'm at a loss here....with shock, fear, etc but want to do what's best for my parents. My dad has made a couple suicidal comments because he doesn't want to face what he knows is coming. He feels he brought this on himself with his lifetime of smoking (since he was 11 y/o) and since it's his own fault, he should just take the easy way out to make it easier for everyone. My dad has always been the strong silent one in the family - never said much but could always be depended on. This is a heck of switch for him and none of us quite know what to do or say. Any advice? Suggestions? We're just beginning this journey so any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

Iiris, welcome. SCLC is either limited or extensive (spread outside the lung) In our local group we have several who are 4-5 yrs out and doing well. Bothe had chemo, and preventative brain radiation. SCLC is not treated by surgery but it is very suceptable to chemo! Please keep us posted. Donna G

Hello Iris,

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. My best advice is not to give up - especially this early in the journey. If you have a doctor that is negative find a different doctor. I think moving him to larger hospital would be a good idea. And although SCLC can be aggressive, there are several survivor stories out there - tell your dad not to give up.

Take Care,

Carrie

Iiris,

Welcome to our small, but wonderful community. We are sorry you have to be here.

You may want to talk to your Mom or Dad about getting your Dad on antidepressants. When you are first dx'd it is very scary and many, many people have found that there is better living through chemistry. It may help him get the fight that he needs to fight this disease.

Keep us posted.

Hello Iris,

I just want to add another warm welcome to you. I can hear your fear and helpnessness in your post. What I do not hear from you is hopelessness. There is much hope. The time after diagnosis with lung cancer can be the most growing and challenging time in a person's life. The stronger the breeze, the stronger the trees.

The initial shock for me was terrifying. It wasn't until I had a plan for treatment and moved forward with that treatment that the terror left me. I think that it is imperative that you and you M&D get very busy making telephone calls to get him properly diagnosed and staged. I think that once you move forward that he will feel more hopeful.

Please try to reassure him that this lc is not his fault. There is so much guilt and self blame with disease. No one asks for lung cancer. I know he did not. It is not his fault. Only a very small percentage of smokers and former smokers get lung cancer. And some never smokers. Why is that ??? We don't know.

Does your dad have someone close that he can confide in? Clergy? A brother or life long friend? I was lucky in that I was prescribed an anti-anxiety medication right away which took the terror out of my veins. Anti-depressents are almost a staple among those who have been diagnosed with a serious life-threatening disease.

Tell him not to give up hope. There are treatments available that can help to prolong or even save his life.

Cindi o'h

Hi Billie, Welcome to our support family.Sorry you & your family have been dealt this disease.

There are many knowing and caring people here.Many have sclc and are doing ok.Don't give up the ship.This is one of the hardest times right after diagnosis.Once all tests are completed a plan of treatment can be put in place.This type cancer is more agressive but it also responds well to chemo treatments.

Guest Iiris

Thank you all for your support.......this is a wonderful, informative place!

I spoke with my mom this morning and she's on her way to the hospital to see what can be done about transferring my dad to the cancer clinic hospital as soon as possible. I relayed what you told me and it seemed to help. Her main question tho' is........ what if they get to the larger hospital, they do the tests and come back with that it's terminal cancer and he's not a suitable candidate for chemotherapy and they advise taking him home and making him as comfortable as possible...... ??

Everything I've read here supports fighting and asking for treatment.

How do you do that if/when the drs say there's no hope? When do you

believe them? He's in such a weakened condition with his emphysema, pneumonia, pleurisy and as of yesterday, the diagnosis of SCLC He hasn't walked for almost 2 weeks and hasn't eaten in days. He just lies in bed gasping for air. Is chemotherapy even going to be an option for him? We want to stay as positive as possible but also realistic. How

does one know when to listen and believe the doctors? Thank you

Your dad is very sick, on top of his emphysema, he has had his lung collapse, and a major infection. As soon as they can kick the pneumonia, he may start to feel a little stronger and look at things differently. I hope they have IV's going to build him up.

If they advise taking him home and making him comfortable, seek a second opinion and talk to your dad about what he wants to do. Good luck.

Iris,

I just want to welcome you to the group. I have no knowlege of small cell lc, but there are many here that do. You will notice there is a separate forum for each type of cancer. Perhaps reading through the posts there will give you some idea of treatments available. It does sound like your Dad is quite ill at the moment and will need to regain some strength before proceeding with treatment. Finding a doctor you have confidence in is key. Professional guidance is a necessity. Every case of cancer is unique, but you will find many hopeful stories here. Just let your Dad know that there are many different treatment options available if he qualifies for them. My best to you and your family.

Sue

Guest Iiris

They'll be transferring my dad to a larger hospital today where

further testing will be done thru the nearby cancer clinic. My

dad reports a difference in his breathing today - not an improvement -

but something not quite right. He says he's taking cortisone and an

antibiotic for the pneumonia , ativan and is given morphine every two hours supposedly for the pleurisy pain. I appreciate all your advice

and support.......I'll be away for awhile as I'm leaving to go with my

mom to help.

Thank you all........Iiris

Guest Iiris

My dad's finally feeling a bit better. They upped the steroids and antibiotics to kick the pneumonia. They did a bone scan this morning

and just finished with CT scans of the brain and abdomen. He's got

bone marrow testing tomorrow and they'll be putting in a portable

cath, I think they called it. My dad doesn't have a clue what any of

this means. We finally were able to explain what the doctors are

looking for as far as "staging" the cancer goes. He thought he'd be coming here and they'd "cut out the tumor" and he'd be going home.

The dr did say today they'll be determining how strong his lungs are

before starting any radiation. That's what they want to do first but

not sure his lungs can stand it. So we're just waiting for results now.

Thanks............Iiris

Hi Iris,

This sounds, to me, very hopeful. It sounds as if he is having a very rapid appraisal of his disease and treatment for his pneumonia.

I continue to hope for the best for the comfort of your dad and your family.

So glad that you are keeping us informed of what is going on with your dad.

cindi o'h

Guest Iiris

Well...an update. The bone scan, both CT scans and the bone marrow test came back clean. He does show evidence of previously having a stroke sometime in the past. They found disease in his liver, adrenal gland and some lymph nodes. The dr staged it at IV before I asked him about limited and extensive. He then changed the stage to extensive. They put in a porta-cath this morning and will be giving him his first chemo today. They're talking about him coming home maybe Monday after his first 3 days of chemo. They want to do radiation but his lungs are so bad, they've decided against that. They told me today there was no cure for this - that what they're going to do is try to buy my dad some time.....probably a year, maybe 2 is what they said.

This is so confusing.......and my folk always wonder if they're being told the truth. My mom has aged 10 yrs just since coming up here, I think.

Now I need to search and find out as much about chemo as I can, I think.

Thanks for letting me prattle on here.......there's really no one else to talk to about this that knows what it's all about. Iiris

Sorry to read of your dad's diagnosis. Personally,I hate when a dr. tells a patient that he only has xxxxx amount of time. We were never given "a time" and I believe that it gave Ron the fight he needed to deal with the treatment.

Treatment has been offered to your dad. That's good. Lots of people on this site have been faced with a similar diagnosis. There are a good many survivors here!!!

Try to think as positively as you can. Tell your dad of people you know who have done well with treatment. He needs to know that this is not a death sentence or he may give up. He's got a battle to win and I'm praying for that win.

Take care,

Janet

Guest Iiris

Is it true tho' that there's no cure for this? They haven't mentioned any time line to my dad......the nurse just told me privately that there is no cure........that the best we can hope for is extending my dad's life a year or two. How does one ignore that when they're told by the supposed professionals? It's scary.

Iiris