Need some positive feedback

kickincancer

Answers:

Yes.

It depends.

Stress over tests - that's something I have NEVER read about on this board before...hmmm... :wink:

Relax, breathe and repeat "It will be what it will be". Test time is highly stressful, but all the worry in the world will not change the results. There are long term survivors and people in both categories that chemo really works for. Until you know any different, she is in the long-term survivor category - but plan fun stuff as if time is limited so you can get THAT fun stuff over and have time for MORE fun stuff!

Thoughts are with, just remember to breathe.

Becky

Everyone worries about those dreaded tests... and everyone needs some encouragment now and then.

There are many survivors of stage IV, some here, some everywhere. Have you read the story of Richard Bloch? His story gave me hope everytime I read it and I read it often while undergoing treatment. Get a copy of his book I'm sure you will enjoy it. Also I'm sure many of our friends here will be happy to chime in on being a long term stage IV survivor.

Honestly, I think that small cell is more receptive to chemo... I "think" (not a doctor here) that is because it is more aggressive. The way my doctor told me was that normally the more aggressive the type of cancer the more receptive it is to chemo. but obviously chemo is effective in treating all types of cancer... some chemos just work better than others on different types of cancer and also for different types of people.

hang in there... I remember when I was going through chemo the wonderful, wonderful man who did my infusions told me that in his "humble" opinion cancer will soon become a disease much like we look at diabetes (eventual cure though!!) but something you are diagnosed with, live with and treat. You take care of yourself, are carefully monitored etc. but with daily treatment it will just be a life long disease that you LIVE with. I liked that thinking.... when I was diagnosed I always kept that in the back of my mind like even if I can't CURE it I can LIVE with it for a very long time.

My wife is a 28 month survivor of Stage IV NSCLC, and is going strong. Generally, small cell grows faster than non-small cell, but also responds to chemo better. But that is a great generalization. My wife has responded well to two different chemo protocols as well as radiation therapy. Hang in there. Don

I was diagnosed with Stage IV NSCLC in November 2003 amd started treatment the Wednesday before Thanksgiving of that year. It was carboplatin and gemzar. Kept going with that until Aug. 2004, when they put me on Iressa, which I am still taking 5 1/2 pills a week. So far, so good. I know this is a difficult time for you and your mom but you'll can do it. Prayers to you two. Marion

Was diagnosed (see my profile) in May/2002, on chemo since Dec/2002 and doing well overall, spirits are very good. Living with lung cancer, not dying of it. Speaking only for myself, just part of everyday life, I look at it the same as I do any of my other illness's, it's (to quote Frank) doable, not the end of the world. Not saying it's easy or can still do the same things I once did. But can still do things, get around under my own steam etc. Don't plan on going anywhere soon, going to beat it. Take it one-step and one day at a time. Stay positive and focused. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best for your Mom.

Please do not despair, we have all been where you are, I think. I chose to look at this disease very simply... If you ain;t living with it, you are dying from it... Since I prefer to live, well you know the rest.. It is NOT easy and I get very nervous at scan time, and when my stomach hurts, when anything seems out of whack. I lie awake many nights comvincing myself it wil all be alright. And some days it really is.. I chose positive thoughts, and positive actions. I feel I win over cancer every time I do. And you know what we all win everyday we are alive.. Cancer loses... Stay positive if you can .. things will look up. :D

Guest vanessa

Although my mom was just diagnosed in August 2004, she is in remission. Her brain MRI just came back clear and the mass in her lungs are virtually gone. She is so strong and is more lively than I've seen her in years...probably because she had this cancer and didn't even know it.

Like many of the responses above, I've heard some really positive stories about long-term survival. You have to be hopeful and be sure she is seeing a great doctor. My thoughts are with you and your mom.

Daddy was diagnosed StageIV NSCLC in January of 2001 and he passed in December of 2004.... Quality of life was excellent up until the last 6 mnths or so.... Please please remain optimistic.... there is something to be said about that whole "positive thinking" thing. Prayers being said.... Love, Sharon

Back in the end of May or beginning of June, they gave me 2 weeks w/NSCLS. I'm still kickin & doing a pretty darned good job of it most of the time! I'm still rather active & enjoy life most of the time. I'm on the way out to dinner with my Hubby now & I gotta say myself, I look downright ravishing!!! You'd be surprised what they can do for you these days.

Hang in there sweetie.

Prayers, good thoughts & a positive outlook really do go a long way!

Melanie