Question about CAT scans

kimblanchard

Does anyone here know how a CAT scan of the chest could NOT show any signs of cancer if someone is in stage IV lung cancer??? My mom was diagnosed in March and it didnt look good, the Dr.'s didnt give much hope of chemo doing anything more than just shrinking the nodules (which were pea sized), said cure wasnt likely........Anyway, we assumed they found these nodules thru the CAT scan in the hospital, well now we find out from a recent CAT scan that came out fine, showed nothing, no nodules, etc.!!!!!! We were in shock, it seemd as if the cancer was just magically GONE!!! Well, once my mom talked with the nurse today (she went for her chemo), the nurse said the 1st CAT scan done in March also showed nothing, it was all fine....way strange!!!!!!!! So, finally she explains to my mom that they found the cancer when they went down into her lung with a probe type thing to clean out any bacteria after they drained the fluid (we thought she just had pneumonia). Im just so confused as to how something so fatal as stage IV lung cancer could not be seen on a CAT scan??? ANyone else had this happen or heard of it? My mom hasnt discussed this with the Dr. yet. Oh, and the final GOOD NEWS of this whole thing is that the Dr. considers her in remission now....were trying to grasp all this news, seems so strange. We cant understand how they know its in remission if they havent re-done the same type of test as before to see if the nodules are gone!! The nurse told my mom that they have been doing blood tests about once a month on her (which she never knew!!) and her number is a 4 now, compared to before it was an 8!!!! The nurse said she was pretty sure that was a normal range. Anyone know much about these numbers in relation to cancer??? Any help is appreciated....sorry to babble on, i'll stop now!! :?

Hello, I am sorry I cannot help you with any of your questions. I would call and insist on an appt with the doctor and not let him leave the room until he/she has answered all your questions. That seems like wonderful news but you have very, very good questions which need to be answered by the doc. My experience has been that the docs do not mind answering your questions. Good luk and I am praying the NED is correct!!!

David C

Sometimes there is cancer of unknown primary (CUP). A cancer is found in an organ or lymph node of a certain type that usually does not originate in the particular organ.

In anycase I hope everything just disappeared. I have read of a few cases where the cancer just goes away. Best of luck and like David C said make sure we get all you questions answered.

http://www.emedicine.com/MED/topic1463.htm

Take your Mother to the hospital, Physicians' Offices and or the facility where these tests (Scans, the procedure where the went into her lung to clean out the bacteria, etc.) and obtain copies of all of her records. The film reports, the pathology reports, the reports on the specific procedures she had done,the chart notes, the hospital outpatient or inpatient records from her bout with what they thought was pneumonia, etc. You may have to pay for copies of these records. So once you have them read them. There are excellent on line dictionaries and encyclopedias to help you with the medical terminology. They will tell you what was found, how and when. I know what it feels like to not understand what the Medical Providers are saying. Whatever you learn about her condition, I hope that she truly is in a full remission.

Best Wishes,

Fay A.

My best advice (coming from a nurse) is to WRITE down ALL the questions and then call and make an apt. to have these questions answered. Write them down while in the Dr office. If you do not understand then ask him again. I have to do this occ. and my Dr has never been short or aggravated. Good Luck