New World, where to begin?

Guest Mrsmanny

Guest Mrsmanny

Our Insurance is a gatekeeper. We want to go to MD Anderson(for 2nd opinion on treatment options), and our PCP & local oncologist is "working on it" by trying to get us Out of Network benefits...in the meantime

...our ONC here has a study starting in 6 days...he wants to enrol my husband....it is standardized treatment consisiting of three or four types of chemo that are proven "effective" for the first arm.......and the second arm we may or may not get (depending on if our # is drawn) is hormone therapy.... either way it wouldbe followed by radiation after the chemo...

we want a 2nd...and from someone good!

We are here in Dallas....

these are my choices...

1) Southwestern....(a teaching hospital...mostly studies...??)

2) Baylor research center.... lots of studies, they may have one good for us. Not exactly a 2nd opinion, more of a "lets fit you in this study over here" kind of place I'm guessing.

3) Baylor Lung Cancer Center...brand new..group of docs who would come up with a plan, they do give 2nd opinions...

Our ONC wants us to get a 2nd before enrolling us...b/c he wants us to have no regrets and committ 100% to our course of threatment. We are still trying to get into MD Anderson...looks like a slim chance we would get in....if we can not get in, what do you think? Or should we be looking at these other places in the meantime? Should we be in there right now getting 2nd 3rd and 4th opinions while we wait for word on weather or not we can go to MD Anderson ?

Eek.

Stacia

At each stage of treatment, our family got multiple opinions. We found this to be very effective, comforting, and helpful.

I have limited experience with insurance, because we just went ahead scheduling appointments without consulting with them first.

I wish you lots of luck and send you and your family prayers.

Kate

You could also consider Mary Crowley which is in Texas. Some of the Experts in the "Ask the Experts" forum are from there, and one is from Baylor I believe. Maybe you could ask them about the best way to proceed?

Has anyone said that surgery may be possible if the tumor shrinks with chemo?

Guest Mrsmanny
You could also consider Mary Crowley which is in Texas. Some of the Experts in the "Ask the Experts" forum are from there, and one is from Baylor I believe. Maybe you could ask them about the best way to proceed?

Has anyone said that surgery may be possible if the tumor shrinks with chemo?

The Mary Crowley is part of the "baylor Research" from what I gather...

Great question about the surgery possibility if chemo shrinks it and one I never would have considered to ask!!!! Thank you!

Would you consider Tulsa, the cancer treatment centers of America? It's a wonderful place, but unfortunately out of my dad's ins. loop too, so his ins. doesn't pay like it should/could. But they have all the latest equipment and treatment options. The people are great too.

you're in my prayers.