newbie looking for support

Patkid

Hi Pat, welcome. Has your husband seen an Onocologist yet? Has a plan been set up? Some of us have chemo, some have surgery, others like myself are blessed to have had everything including radiation. We all know these first few months are very hard, so much to digest, cope with, "worry" about. I hope we can be of help to you and your hubby. Donna G

Hi Pat,

I'm so sorry your husband has cancer, but I am so glad you found us. First thing you should know is that every case of cancer is unique. When you can, give us more information about your husbands case. There is so much information here, as well as plenty of support and prayers. The more we know, the more we can help. The more you know, the better you will be able to cope with this diagnosis. My best to you.

Sue

Hi Pat and Welcome to LCSC!

Like the others have said, I wish you didn't have to be dealing with this, but since you are, you have come to the right place for support. I'll be looking forward to hearing more from you about your husband's diagnosis (what type of cancer, treatment plan, etc.).

The first couple of weeks after diagnosis are the worst. I think most of us felt like we were covered in a big dark cloud those first weeks. It gets better, especially once you have a treatment plan.

Stay in touch.

God bless you,

Peggy

Hello Pat,

So sorry for your need to be in this place but It really is the best group of people in the world. The biggies are info, info, info & support, support, support. You'll find plenty of that here. The more info you can get to us, you'll find the more people can share similar experiences & that really helps make it not so scary. When you talk to people who've been there, done that & are still here to talk about it, you are not so alone. Heck, I know it's hard to believe it right now but there are times when we can even find things to laugh about like my Frankenstein head from the Gamma Knife treatment I had on Thursday.

May God bless you & your husband. May you both find the comfort you need in this trying time & I would be happy to be of help any time I can.

Hugs & Prayers,

Melanie

Hi Pat.

You and Brian are certainly most welcome here.

It is very frightening to say the least to be diagnosed with lung cancer.

Please know that in most situations, there is hope for recovery. I was treated for late stage lung cancer over two years ago and I am still perkin' along.. a slow perk, but a perk, nonetheless.

The statisitics are outdated and don't hold up to today's treatments. So very many new treatments are to be had depending on your Brian's situation.

We would love to help you in any way that we can....that is what many of us are here for...to help and be helped.

Please share any info with us regarding stage, symptoms, fears, indecision, questions, family..anything at all. We will take turns to try to help you all feel better.

Cindi o'h

Hi Pat,

Sosorry to see you are here and your crisis. I am also new to this post.

I am a 58 year old male who was also just diagnosed with lung cancer a week ago and believe me you are not alone. I have found so much support on this site. It is the best. I go for my biopsy tomorrow to find out what stage it is in. My wife and I are scared to death. The waiting is driving us both nuts. Don't know what part of the country you are from but I am in Pennsylvania and have decided to go to a dedicated cancer in Philadelphia. I am just not comfortabel with my local small town dr's. I belive a place where that is all they do is cancer is the best bet. They are one of the best in the country. Plesase let everyone know what you know right now and you will receive so much feedback and support it's incredible. Mine is relatively small and I'm hoping I will be a candidate for surgery. Won't know for a week or so. So many people here have told me "It's not a death sentence" The technology today is incredible and there a very good chances for a cure. God bless you and hang in there. You have my prayers and support. Please keep everyone posted. By talking about it and getting feedback and support really helps during such a depressing time in your life. When my wife and I found out we both said this is the worst time of our lives but we are now somewhat positive and hoping for the best. As I said the waiting is the worst part. Good luck and God be with you.

Bill in Pennsylvania

Hi Pat & Brian,

Welcome Path & Brian, you have come to the right place. We are hear to listen, give advice and help in anyway we can.

Please let us know what is going on presently with Brian. If we know more, we can help you cope better.

Maryanne

Brian and I feel so much less alone! Thank you for all the kind words. The vocabulary is new to us, but here is what we know.

Brian was fine.

He was working 10 hours per night.

He had a little cough that the docs always attributed to the Monopril he was on.

His medical hx was a dx of Mitral Valve disorder (controlled) and an Industrial Accident in 2001 that took his right hand and wrist. We thought we had weathered the storm...........................Then the cardiologist wanted to give him a thorough check up and decided to do an angiogram after the echo cardiogram. During the pre testing for the angio they did a chest xray.

Brian's primary doc called on 2/7 and told us to come in on 2/8 that the xray showed something he wanted to double check. The angio was cancelled. Brian had a CT scan that confirmed the mass on his lung and showed liver concerns, as well. He had a brain CT that was clear. I think they found a brain.................just no mets.

Primary sent us to Onc. He ordered needle biopsy and PET Scan We have not had the big talk yet: Here is what we know:

Poorly differentiated Lung CA with 2 spots in the middle of his chest..Lymph? I did not get that........I just saw them on the PET scan he showed us. and another large tumor on his liver.

ONC said Brian is not a candiate for surgery. Said he is not a candidate for radiation since the liver needs to be treated w/ high dose of chemo that would not be possible if we radiate the lung.

So last Wed. Brian had 8 hours of chemo (Cisplatin and VP16.) All new to us. Then Thurs and Friday he has VP16 for about 2 hours.

He will not go back till 3/23 and then they will repeat the cycle. After the following 21 days they will rescan and make new plans.

We are completely overwhelmed. Doc did not talk about any alternatives to chemo and Brian says he is completely satisfied with the direction we are taking. He trusts both the ONC and his primary. He likes the sense of urgency he picked up and the fact that they did not act like there was not a reason to treat him.

I am not sure what any of this means..........I don't understand staging or prognosis or what we are in for.

I am praying and praying and praying for the strength to do what is right. We are scared to death. doc told Brian not to go to work and to apply of SS Disability..............Don't forget ...Brian did not miss a beat when he lost his right hand!!!!!!!!!! He even ties his shoes and still runs his DeVlieg Machine the same as he did w/ 2 hands. He is incredible.

I am so scared. I don't know what to expect or if this means that Brian is a little sick, pretty sick or very sick.

My sister died of lung cancer (small cell) when she was 50. But she was very sick when they finally diagnosed her.

Brian is 56 and was in robust health at the time of his dx.

Please offer any help or advice or anything and thanks for being here!!

Hello Pat and Hello Brian,

Welcome to the group.

You answered questions, but you will also find

many answers here.

Thank you for the details you gave us on Brian,

Please keep us posted on the treatments and ask

questions, somebody will have answers.

Good Luck

J.C.

Welcome Pat & Brian,

It sounds like the two of you have been through a rough couple of years, but have weathered the storms well. I agree with Peggy (Stand4Hope) that the first few weeks are the toughest and seem the darkest. Now that chemo has begun and the plan of attack is in place, I hope you will be able to take a deep breath and prepare for the fight. We are all in this together and will be here for you, no matter what you may need. There is no GREATER group of people to support you than you will find right here. Take care and please let us know how things are going.

Hi Pat and Brian,

Sorry you had to come to this site but you will be glad you did. I recently signed up and have received so much support and useful information. It really does help to know that you have someone to talk to. It's great that treatment has started. It sounds as if Brian doesn't let anything stand in his way so there's no reason to think that cancer will succeed. The fighting attitude makes so much of a difference in the effectiveness of treatment. Keep thinking positively.

You're in our thoughts and prayers. We went through this almost one year ago and I remember the feelings that overwhelmed us during the early time of a Stage IV diagnosis and poor prognosis.

Janet

an unfortunate welcom Pat and Brian

first thing first. Yes this is hell. BUT you have all of us here with you and the support, caring, compassion and knowledge you will find here will become your life line.

these people got me through Lung Cancer with both my mom and dad. Also now my sister has cancer, only hers is breast.

I lost mom and dad 9 months apart last year and I just feel like these people are my family and although LC is not my current battle, I am battling with everyone else here against it still.

couple of tips bring a notebook to every appointment. get yourself educated about his chemo, possible side effects. changes in eating paterns, new aches or pains, remember to get TONS of water in him to help counter the effects of chemo. cut back on sugar and increase veggies and proteins.

the fear is the inknown which everyone faces, but once you understand a little more the whats' and what fors, you can fight this b*stard with a calmer head.

many prayers for recovery and hope you get to meet NED. (no evidence of disease)

shelly

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you.

I am just reeling. Today, instead of sad I was angry all day. Everything - large or small - set me off.

I am praying to do better, but am so scared.

Brian, is so determined and so good hearted. I am so angry that this happened to him on top of him being a good sport about not having a right hand.

I am really really trying and will do much better tomorrow.

Thank you for being here

Hi again...

I have gone through the emotions too. Those are the tough ones. Sometimes they sneak up on you and you are unaware of them and then all of a sudden you think...what was that all about?? Why did I react that way?? That is not usually how I react!

well, it is when there is lc involved! Get used to the new normal. You will be having lots of thoughts and feelings that seem foreign to you. This is part of the challenge of dealing with this disease. It is the ride of your life. Any advice that I can give would be to identify your emotions...like you just did, instead of run from them. Feel them sit with them and on their own they will leave you. The other advice would be to try to keep a positive spin on everything that happens. I have a feeling that you are accomplished in this area already. Just a reminder.

All the best to you and to Brian for successful treatments and recovery. He did not go through all of that hand business only to let cancer get him.. no.. I think our dear Lord had other plans for this boy.

love, Cindi