Second opinion without office visit

Suzie Q

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a second opinion based on medical records while omitting an office visit?

My mom wants to try this at MD Anderson (I think!). She can't travel right now because my dad is very ill with stage IV melanoma, and she was hoping this "long distance consultation" might be an option over waiting for Dad to recover from surgery. He's been in the hospital 3 weeks post surgery plus one week prior to surgery. This recovery will go VERY slow, and time is of the essence.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

~Karen

Karen,

I think you can definately send your scans and pathology reports to MD Anderson for their opinion. I'm being treated there now. You probably need to get a referral or a doctor's name and check w/your insurance. If you call MD Anderson, they will be happy to give you all the information you need. Please let me know if I can help with anything.

You can check their website for contact information at www.mdanderson.com

TAnn

Karen,

I am also in Michigan and I know a woman that got a 2nd opinion from MD Anderson that way. So yes, it is possible.

I don't know where you are but could your mom go to the U. of M. lung cancer clinic for a second opinon?

Thanks, Ry. Yep, U of M is a possibility, but only after my dad is stable enough for my mom to be ok with leaving him for a day. I think that's worth looking into. My dad was there 4 times at the Melanoma clinic - 2 consults and 2 surgeries. Very good people there.

Seems like her first Taxol treatment is working already. She's much less short of breath and has less coughing. So if it works, we wouldn't change it, but the second opinionis a good idea regardless.

~Karen

hi,

i asked my oncdoc about this. he said that generally the easiest way for the second opinion doc to get in the insurance system was to see the patient. this made sense to me so i traveled.

i would seem like a dr. would want to meet a patient at least once to give any kind of meaningful opinion.

best of luck with this! and just talking and trying to be with your mom and dad is of great support to them.

When I had my breast cancer biopsy, the pathologist at the hospital was having a hard time making the call as to whether I had any invasive tissue, or only had in situ cancer, and they sent the slides to Mayo Clinic for a second opinion. Since they didn't know what they were looking at for sure, my insurance was never billed for the Mayo Clinic involvement.

Cindy