Taxol/radiation

minnie

Just saw a post from Cathy that warns about taxol and risks of radiation pneumonitis.

My mother's dr. is planning this regimen. Can anyone tell me more about it? Is it not a good idea to take taxol with radiation? Has anyone received this treatment combo?

Minnie

Hi minnie......I didnt mean to alarm anyone......From what I've read if you have radiation pneumonitis that is when taxol shouldnt be taken..... I also read that radiation pneumonitis is not very common, there are probably many on this board who have gone through their treatment with no problems......everyones body reacts different....so sorry if I scared anyone........cathy

My wife, Lucie, also underwent radiation to bone sites at the same time she started chemo. One bone met was on the spine in the lung area. It was very easy for her to become dehydrated, which happened several times. It was also easy for her to get infected, which also happened several times. I am so thankful that the radiation is over, and she is only having chemo now. Don

HI Karma..... My dads symptoms were basically extreme shortness of breath..... He couldnt even eat because it was so hard to breath.... I do think he may have caught it in its early stage, because he is feeling a little better... thanks to my dads persistance and walking out on his radiologist I'm sure he will get better..... just to let you know my dad never got on taxol... he developed the pneumonitis from the radiation however I did read if you are on taxol it may intensify the pneumonitis.... from what i understand the radiation is what causes it.........cathy

Hi Minnie,

My mom had Carboplatin with Taxol once a week, with daily (5xper week) radiation. So far she hasn't has radiation pneumonitis, but she has only been off treatment for two and a half months. Usually it occurs 3-6 months after treatment.

Hope that helps,

Faylene