Home already ?? Laser broke again

Frank Lamb

Hi all, we're back home again after a long and hungry day.They had the laser fixed this morning.We waited from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm before they were able to fit me in.

Once in the operating room all prepped and IVed the whole nine yards.Just before putting me to sleep the laser decided to break again.Tried to get me in another hospital UPMC Presbyterian but they were full and unable to.

I was given the choice of the other hospital tomorrow at 3 pm (again all day without eating)or back here on wed at 8 am with a new rented laser accompanied by a factory rep.My surgeon (really like and trust him) said he was comfortable doing this either way I chose.

I chose to go eat supper out and go home w/ my wife.I'll go back to the VA on wed. morn.

Also given a choice of two treatments after surgery.One is a radiation seed implant and the other is a form of light therapy where they shine a light down there and it supposed to kill the cancer cells.

Any input on these treatments & side affects & problems would be welcomed as I know nothing about them.Have also asked this of the experts.

Well hell Frank! I guess no news is good news???? I am glad you asked the experts cause I have no idea. Just glad to see your face back here! Sit down, I'll get ya a beer...where's Cindi when you need her???

I agree with you I would go for dinner tonight and come back Wednesday. When I saw my pulmolnologist he mentioned the radiation beads. I have not had this done. I understand it to be a help in opening the airway. They radiate these beads and then put then on the tumor then remove them. A radiologist is the one that works with the pulmonologist on this procedure. I am unaware of the side effects or procedure concerns. Maybe John will see this and be of some help or ask the experts.

It is good to see you on your friend John.

I know not a thing of which you speak, Frank. But, I like the idea of shining a light down there to kill the cancer. a flashlight or is this a laser? Complete with smoke and a rock n' roll concert? like the rolling stones?

No Bud Lite tonight without doctors' approval. Then if I see the note, you may have as many as you want and we can talk about old times while I watch the lids come down over your big baby blues.

How is the butt??? helluva party the other day, huh? And you were rockin' with the best of em.. acting like you were feeling pret/ty good... !

Get well, Frank...glad you have some good ones to take care of you.

Cindi o'h

The best laid plans, eh? :? Yeah, I think I'd go home and eat a few times myself, and then show up early on Wednesday. Hope all goes smoothly then.

As to the seeds, I only know of one guy here who had that for prostate cancer. He did really well throughout....and far as I know, some fatigue was his only real side effect. But I image it's got to be different, perhaps, when the airway is involved.

I know the experts will have some answers for you. As for the rest of us....well, we're sending every good thought possible your way, Frank. Keep up posted.

Frank, well this stinks huh? Pretty much sums up the way things have been going around here....

My MIL had the radiation seeds put in her liver to shrink a tumor... she was only given 3 mnths to live and after the seeds she lived 3 years.... don't know if its the same concept, but sounds the same to me... Prayers coming... Sharon

Frank,

They say third time lucky, so Wednesday all should

go well, eat all you can in between, strength you need.

Heard of both precedures and good on both sides,

a lot goes with the more able surgeon for it.

Good luck and GET WELL.

Hugs

J.C.

Aw Frank....I agree with JC...third time will be the charm. I hope all goes well tomorrow morning with the "rental" equipment and that you enjoyed your dinner with your wife! Hope to see some good news from you soon! In the mean time, I'll rummage around some joke sites and try to fill your big shoes on the Just for Laughs forum. Take care.

Frank, I don't know if it is the same as what my grandmother had, but they did a bronchoscopy on her and advanced a tube down that allowed them to directly radiate the tumor only. It worked really well for her. Like I said, I don't know if it's the same, but it kinda sounded so.

Good luck on Wednesday! Will be thinking about ya!

Frank, the light therapy is called photodynamic therapy (PDT). I used to do it in a previous job. PM or email me if you want more info.

PDT works quickly, but the first couple of days after the treatment are pretty rough. The radiation seeds (brachytherapy) work more slowly, but have less dramatic side effects. PDT selectively seeks out and kills cancer cells, which is good. It may kill off more cancer cells than brachytherapy. Brachytherapy's success in killing off tumor cells depends on where the seeds are placed, so the physicians's skills are more of a factor, IMO.

A little info that I hope is helpful. Best wishes to you as you jump over this latest hurdle, Teresa