Going for first mamogram tomorrow-very scared(updated result

Andrea

I had my yearly. I have a litlte bruising by one breast and the doctor thinks I just touched it too hard b/c it is tender and I was touching it, but to be safe I am having a mamogram tomorrow even though I am only 32. So I am freaking out beyond belief :(

oh my!!! Andrea!

I would be freaking out to!!

You have barely enough time to get in shape. You know you have to get conditioned for this test, don't you??

When hubby comes home, have him start up the SUV..hopefully you have a Suburban....the bigger, the better!

Lie down on the concrete garage floor and have him run over your breasts a few times...

oh. sorry. You live in Ca.. the concrete floor is not cold enough. Okay.. here is what you need to do. Put a couple of marble book ends in the freezer. When they are nice and cold take them out and holding one in each hand with as much force as you can muster, smash those bookends together (with your breast in between, of course)

Too bad you have only one day to prepare. I usually like to start my conditioning routine a couple weeks in advance.

Good luck.

Cindi o'h

Andrea,

Aside from all the "conditioning" that miss Cindi reccommends.. :lol: she's a lil :twisted: (but of course we love her anyway), I would like you to keep one thought in mind... Cancer isn't always painful. In fact, I bet if you think real hard, you will think of something that may have caused this soreness. Stay calm and don't worry until you have something to worry about. It's probably nothing. Will say a prayer for you that it is just some silly reason for it.

(((Hugs))),

Sue

Andrea, I had my first Mamogram when I was 33 (since I had the lung cancer diagnoses going on, they figured they should cover all the bases and scan the boobies too... :roll: )

Needless to say, I can related to your "1st timer's anxiety" -- but it really wasn't as bad as I had made it out to be in my mind.......I promise! :wink:

Andrea,

I had my first mammogram at 25. Had my second one in 2003 - a "baseline" at 35. There have been some strides made in ten years. It's not something I would want to do for fun, but it's not THAT bad. Okay, that's not exactly true, I couldn't have any caffeine for 48 hours before the test to "be safe" and I missed my chocolate...

First time test felt like they were trying to do some cartoonish stuff, rolling 'em out like cookie dough and then squeezing AGAIN from another direction where it felt like they were trying to just rip 'em off... My more recent test didn't bring tears to my eyes. Yep, pressure, but not something resembling a torture during the Inquisition....

Don't worry, you will be FINE. The people running the machines are really nice - and I'm sure glad they didn't have to squeeze my whole torso to check my lungs! :roll:

This is precautionary - it will be used as a baseline so you don't have to celebrate your 40th birthday with your boob in a vise!

Stop worrying so much... (yeah, right).

xxoo,

Becky

Andrea

I had my first just a few months ago, and I dont know if it was because i have lots of cushion there or what but it just wasnt what I had made it out to be. Noting I wouldnt go do again, and in my opinion its better than a filling at the dentist and no comparision to a root canal. You will be fine. I have dx myself with at least 15 diseases and ailments since Moms dx. I think thats all part of the new normal.

Calm yourself down, the stress is far worse on you. Let us know when you get done tomorrow, will have you in my prayers.

Kim

Thanks everyone. One other problem is that I am on Clomid right now, I take it 5 days, I am on the highest dosage allowable and for those of you who were on Clomid or know someone who does, the mood side effects are not pleasant. So you take my natural neurosis, add some Clomid in and poof you have what I am now. I could add that recipe to the book :)

Andrea,

I just had my annual mammo on Monday. Be sure to let them know this is your first time. They should explain things and make it a little more comfortable. It's not as bad as you're imagining. AND, you will be so relieved when it's done and your results are in. I'm confident you'll be fine, but it's good to check things out.

Cindy

Andrea,

Clomid causes high level of breast tenderness,

up to now no report about breast cancer caused by it, only

ovarian cancer for women who had taken the drug for 12 menstrual

cycles or more,

So the tenderness in your breast could be caused by the medication.

Good luck tomorrow.

J.C.

Andrea,

When I had my first one, hubby was making fun of me, and I said, "OK, smart butt, we'll just take you out on the concrete back porch and stretch out your penis and I'll jump on it! Then you'll see how FUNNY it is." You should have seen the raised eyebrows. Owee!! LOLOLOL!

My experiences have all been just fine, all except the first one. I'm 56 and been getting one once a year since age 40. The first one, I swear, I had a torture queen for a boob smasher. I thought my boobs were going to pop into a gazillion pieces. It was awful! I, of course, thought they would all be that way, and found out later that occasionally there are some technicians that put us through hell, and they usually get fired. She apparently got fired because I never saw her again. Thank goodness!

You'll be fine. The good thing is that each time they do it, the time you are in the smasher is just so quick that it's over before you have time to complain. It's unpleasant, but quick. Remember that and you will be ok.

Love,

Peggy

oh yeah... clomid.. that causes estrogen levels to be high, right? high estrogen levels put women at greater risk for breast and female organ cancers, right. Now I understand why your doc is sending you to get this checked out so quickly.

well, good luck, dear. I just know everything will be okay.

Cindi o'h

I just did mine Monday, it wasn't bad at all. If it feels uncomfortable to you, just scream real loud and they will back off.

I know it is a new worry but remember, it is very unlikely this is anything but extra covering all the bases. Thank goodness we live in an age when we can get tests to clear our worries.

They told me if they need another look they would call within a couple of days, otherwise I would get an all clear letter in a week or two. Today is two days so I am going to forget all about it until next year. It wouldn't hurt to call your doctor sooner though, if you want to know for sure right away.

Margaret

I've had 3 mammograms and really didn't find them all that bad. Oh yeah, I'd rather be doing something else but..... I once read some sort of comic where a lady was having a mammogram and the fire alarm went off. Needless to say, they left her stuck in the machine. But what are the chances?

Good luck. I'm sure you'll feel relieved once you get the results.

Gail P-M

Just checking to see if there was anything from Andrea...No word i guess yet. But I do have a question??? What is Clomid taken for? Thats a new one on me, but if its about "female" issues, i wouldnt know as I have been very lucky in that department and so far so good.

Thanks all and looking to hear from Andrea..............

Kim

Thanks for checking! Clomid is for fertility, it helps make you ovulate :)

I am off now, I have 2:15 apt and then 3:15 with surgeon for results. Pacific standard time. I wish I was on eastern time, i would know by now!

O I am on central time. I didnt even think about the time difference. And thats why I have never heard of Clomid. Infertility was never a problem for me...I think I "did it" 3 times and got 3 kids, even was on BC pills on the 2nd one and the third, my hubby had gotten a Vasectomy yrs before so I thought I was safe there. Wrong.....

Kim

Hi everyone. Thanks for the well wishes!

It was an adventure, I had 8 films taken, they kept coming back for more, especially on the left. Didn't hurt at all. And the robes were made for plus size!!! BUT then I had to go to ultrasound. My parents were freaking out in the waiting room b/c all these women were coming and going and then my mom was told I went back for more testing.

Bottom line: I have what they think is a cyst. The radiologist told me she is not worried about me, she is sure it is not cancer, BUT I need to go back in 6 months. She said get pregnant, live life as normal, and if I am pregnant they will do an ultrasound instead of a mamogram. She said since this was my first time they just want to watch one cysty area. The surgeon concurred.

Apparently if a cyst squishes out it is not cancer, so that is why they did some extra smashing. And I have big breasts I guess.

So that is it, I am on the 6 month track. I was hoping to hear DO NOT RETURN UNTIL YOU HIT AGE 35, but I guess this is not bad at all b/c if they were worried it would be biopsided. She said there is nothing to biopsy at all really.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Andrea,

I'm happy to hear that your news is good. I think you should feel confident in what you've been told. Sometimes they take more films because of dense breast tissue, which is a characteristic of young people. So much has been done with breast cancer research and treatment and protocols for treatment, I feel very confident with the advice you've been given.

Cindy

Hi Andrea.

I had mine squished yesterday too... only twice for each of the ladies though...not your eight. Not bad.

Mine are old. They didn't usta be...!

Well anyway. Yesterday you asked a question in a pm and I didn't know the answer so I went ahead and asked the nurse at the Breast Center. If they have to biopsy or send something to a lab, it requires 24 hours to get the results. She said that it is a process of preparation and stains and waiting and I don't know...but, she said that you have to wait a day.

Well. So cogratulations are in order for your first negative mammogram. Hope you and hubby did something nice to celebrate!

Cindi o'h