by pass or blow. that is the question

cindi o'h

When I was hospitalized last week, I had an angiogram that showed the stent that was re-done last Fall was still in place and working beautifully.

Very grateful for that, I tell ya.

However, there is a place that is not looking quite as good in another area. The cardiologist did show me the imaging with the dye while I was in the cath lab. However, noone came to my room to explain what that exactly means.

When I saw the pulmonologist this week she explained the details of the blockage with a detailed drawing. She was in the cath lab without me knowing it and consulting with the cardiologists about my case. She said that they were just going to wait for me to have a heart attack and then that would be the end of that vessel. The surrounding heart muscle would die.

I relayed this to the vascular surgeon today. She gave me an unusual look but did not give an opinion. I told my physiatrist too. He was more opinionated. He suggested a 2nd or 3rd opinion. He was not confident that nothing should be done. He was suggesting that I look into a by-pass for this artery. I am grateful to doctors like this who will step out and consider me as their most important priority, rather than staying quiet so as not to rock the boat. He may be right and he may be wrong. But, I wouldn't even have considered a second opinion without his input.

Lots to think about. Anyone else have something like this going on?

Cindi o'h

Cindi,

I don't know a thing about hearts and stuff., but from a common sense standpoint, this makes no sense to me. I would insist they explain it until it makes sense and or get another opinion. Just living with an idea like that would be torture. Hope you can get some peace of mind about it soon.

(((Hugs)))

Sue

Cindi,

Could they not try to do angioplasty on the suspiscious one? It is a lot less invasive. This sort of "wait" attitude was very similar to my dads 1st cardiologist. The "wait" caused him to have another heart attack. Thank god his 1st cardiologist quit his practice and moved and my dad got a new one who is absolutely awesome. Dad ended up having another area of heart tissue to die. His heart is so weak now he has a defib. implanted and can no longer work. I'm thinking about suing the other cardiologist because he "dropped the ball" on this one and was completely negligent. Anyway, PLEASE go get another opinion.

kitkathi

I have NEVER heard of someone knowingly waiting to have a heart attack. I would high tail it to another doc asap before you do have a heart attack. Ill add extra prayers that you DO NOT have a heart attack until this can be resolved to your satisfaction.

Love

Kim

well, thanks all.

Like I have said before, lc has taken center stage for me all this time and dealing with the after affects of treatment. I jsut haven't gotten my poop back.

Had a heart attack a year ago. It was a small one with little damage. So, I guess, in my mind it is still like, "no big deal". I think that I need to change my mind and start getting more serious about this. I am just not shook up about it! Not scared at all! I am not scared and that's what scares me.

So. I guess it was good that the phsyical med doc yesterday got me thinking a little about this.

cindi o'h

Dearest Cindy,

There are alot of really great things to wait for: birthdays, the mailman, sunrise and sunset, evidence of God's Grace and Love, Planes, Vacations, jackpots, bedtime.................................heart attacks suck. We vote w/ the others. Your WHOLE BODY deserves your concern ........... and ours!

Much love and support from Brian and Pat.

(Brian's "car buddies" call us BRAT when they refer to both of us at once :))

Hi Cindi, WOW the cream taste funny. I've had two heart (most recent Sept04) attacks and treble by-pass and never had someone tell me let's wait for another one. Sort of like saying, lets cross the train tracks with our eyes closed @ five o'clock and see if the train is on time. Now I do know in my case there are some arteries to small to stent anyways, so we are treating it with medication, exercise and diet. I would get a second opinion for sure. You have to get that taken care of. Not going to get to far if the ticker goes. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best. Rich

get the opinions. and while you are, use it as a shopping excusion for a different heart doc. I don't know MUCH about this stuff, but my dad did have two stents put in last summer and a dear uncle just had triple bypass when they couldn't do stents - anyway, waiting for a heart attack is just what Ginny said, waiting for Becky's beer truck? no way.

Karen

Cindi,

My dad had a triple bypass a few years back. He was a very sick puppy when he went for the stress test and they threw his butt in the hospital - he had the bypass four days later (stress test on Thursday, catherization on Friday, next O.R. date without having a heart attack was Monday). The surgeon said he was actually lucky since he didn't have the heart attack he was really heading for full speed - he was put into cardiac I.C.U. for the weekend and not even allowed to get up to pee...

Once the heart attack has happened, there is irreversible damage to the heart muscle. This is NOT a good thing and I sure as hell wouldn't wait for a heart attack anymore than I would wait for the elephant stampede with a can of Planter's peanuts in my hand! Second opinion - waiting for a heart attack is insanity.

As for lung cancer being center stage right now, plan your life around being cured. Heck, if you're not cured, spare yourself the worrying so you can enjoy what you have - and if you ARE cured, you should take care of all the other stuff so it doesn't sneak up on ya. Take care of yourself, girlie! Took me two days to clean up after your last party, people like the pub.

Becky

thanks guys and gals.

And thanks for cleaning up, Beck. It was a mess!!

Yeah.. I am getting what you are saying ... I will ask the doc again what this is all about. The cardiologist never came back to my room after the procedure. This was all explained to me by the pulmonologist on the 8th. She drew pictures and everything.

I will call my original cardiologist today to see what he has to say about all of this.

But, I will tell you that I do not like the idea of getting my chest cracked open. And someone putting their hands in my heart. It is creepy and sounds sore.

Cindi o'h

Cindi,

I agree with what everyone else is saying. Get

more opinions. You have already had one attack and

I am sure your not looking forward to another one.

Please listen up and get more opinions. I don't want

anything to happen to you. You have enough on your plate...

God Bless, prayers and hugs,

Karen

Cindi, I am not an LC survivor, but I am a heart bypass survivor. I had a quadtruple bypass over 7 years ago and have done well ever since. I think the advice you got was terrible, and I certainly would check around about that. You should be trying to avoid a heart attack, not wait for one. Good luck. Don

Oh, I just have to chime in here too. I read your posting at least 3 times to make sure that I didn't miss something. Another opinion or two seems needed to me at least until you REALLY understand what is going on. Something just doesn't make sense here.

Take care.

Gail P-M