FYI- 2 other uses for chemo- RA and Hep. C

jcawork

I thought I would post this because you never know if someone else will have the same thing happen. Not a definative answer, but thought I would update you.

In October, I had finished 4 rounds of chemo Carbo and VP. I started aching all over. The farther out from my last chemo, the more I ached. As soon as I got chemo, the aching was GONE! Oncologist thought I was a nut.

Then in November the aching was so bad I couldnt stand it. Could hardly get up off the couch. It wasnt from Neupogen and I knew something was up. Again, chemo made it all disapear.

Rheumatoid blood test was taken and it was quite elavated. C-reactive protien was run, also a bit elavated. We repeated the tests a month later, more elavated. Sent to Rheumotologist-more of the same tests, elavated.

He says I either have mild Rheumotoid arthrits or I am just in an inflamatory state from radiation and LACK of chemo. I have had pneumonitis for months, I have some muscle and ligament damage where I was shot etc....

It has gotten better on its own. I am now 2 months out from last chemo.

The interesting part of the story is the Rheumotologist said the chemo making it feel better made perfect sense and for severe Rheumotoid arthritis they use chemo infussions as chemo is a significant anti inflamatory drug. Go figure.

Story # 2

My husband has Hep C and it is now severe. Recent liver biopsy is very bad and he needs to start tx asap. The treatment is 2 chemo drugs even though he doesnt have liver cancer. One will be 6 daily pills and one is a weekly shot for a full year if he responds.

Both of these drugs are used primariliy for liver and kidney cancer. If it works, it will kill off the virus in his liver and reduce the inflamation. We are of course devastated that he now has to go through a similar course as I did and he doesnt have cancer. Same side effects, loss of hair, low blood counts, fatigue etc....

Thats it, 2 uses for chemo that I didnt know about.

Jen

Yep. Chemotherapy drugs are often used for their imunosuppressive effects alone, and methotrexate was one of the first to "cross over" to non-cancer uses. My sister in South Carolina received chemo for multiple sclerosis. Unfortunately, the MS folks are not tuned into patient education, and she was completely laid flat by the intense side effects. They never told her chemo would cause sudden menopause (she was under 50 at the time). It was a very bad experience. Too bad she didn't have a nurse around!