My mom was just diagnosed with SCLC stage 4

Guest esten

Guest esten

My mom was just recently diagnosed with SCLC Stage 4 about 2 weeks ago... She turns 47 this Sunday and I am 27.... I am having a REALLY hard time dealing with this.. I have done tons of research and it is really scary... It has went into the brain and her pancreatis already, they have not given us a time frame, but from what I have read it is not good.. We have thought about clinical trials.. Have anyone done that or talked to anyone about it.. Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

Erica :cry:

Hello, Erica:

I am so sorry to hear about your Mom's being diagnosed with lung cancer!

I think you should go to the subject categories in this site for SCLC and READ THE POSTS........you will get lots of help there.

Erica, you need to talk to the doctor and ASK about WHAT OPTIONS YOU HAVE.........and tell the doctor you want to do whatever you can to help your Mom.

Come to this site often and you will get help.

We are a family and welcome you into it.

Barb

Guest esten

I want to talk to the doctors about everything, BUT the bad thing is I live 5 hours away and next month I am moving to Washington State (husband in the military) and my mom is in Florida... That is going to make things a hundred times worse and that is tearing me apart that I will be so far away during all of this...

Hi Erica

Sorry to hear about your Mom. You're right, the research IS really scary, but I believe it is good to do as much as you can so that you know what you are up against. The important thing to remember however, is not to be too dismayed by the statistics that you read (easier said than done, I know). Just know that there are people proving the statistics wrong every day (eg: my Mum :D ). There was an article about statistics that I found very helpful in the beginning - I think it was by Stehen Jay Gould called 'The Median Isn't The Message'. You should be able to find it on the net, and it is really worth reading.

All the best.

Karen

Sorry about your Mom. She is young, so was I. I was diagnosed at 48 with limited sclc. That was THREE YEARS AGO. Please, please, don't decide that everything you read on the internet is what will happen to your Mom. Everybody is different. She is young and you have to approach her problem with that in mind. Please, if you can, get as much information as possible from her Dr. (hopefully, someone can go with her and take notes, very important since going and listening to all this info can be very confusing. It's best to have someone with her.) I know this is very hard to go thru, but in time, and if you stay here and ask whatever you need to, you'll see that you have great support here. Give your Mom a hug for me((())). She's young and strong. She'll make it!

Joanie

Hi Erica,

So sorry about the news about your mom. She must really be scared as so are you. That is always the initial reaction. Uncertainty, if she will survive this. Your mom being so young, it just isn't fair.

She has quite a battle ahead of her. but actually being young and strong has its advantages, when it comes to fighting this thing. It actually helps in the long run.

LC does not have to be a death sentence. Do not listen to statistics as people beat the odds everyday. You will know that from just reading peoples posts on here.

You see Joanie post before mine. She is a survivor for 3 years already of SLSC. Anything is possible, miracles are possible, you have to believe . Belief can move mountains. But she is going to have to fight this beast head on with avengence, it she wants that mountain to move.

You are a wonderful, caring daughter. You mom is lucky to have you. Just be there for her, and support any decision she makes. You can, of course, give your opinion, but in the end it has to be hers.

Keep us posted, and know that we are here to help you as you are going through all this uncertainty. You are certainly not alone.

Will send mediatation healing prayer to your mom and strength for you.

Maryanne

Guest esten

I want to thank everyone for the encouraging words... It is just so much to face in such a short period of time.. Please everyone just keep their prayers going.. Thanks again... I will keep everyone posted. :)

Dear Erica,

As always, welcome to the place where nobody really wants to be but find it oh so helpful. I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. The long distance thing can be difficult on a family. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can help in any way. That is what were here for even if it is only to lend an ear - we all have spectacular ears!

Please know that you & your family will be in my prayers through your journey.

Take care,

Melanie