Brain Scan

Tracy

Heylo everyone,

My dad is scheduled to have a brain scan tomorrow due to the many headaches he has been getting lately. He is absolutely terrified. As you all may he has not been the fighter I thought he would be and if anything feels wrong he believes it has spread. Back in May the doctor wanted to due an ultrasound to check on the liver because it appeared enlarged...both Mom and Dad were convinced it had spread and he was a goner....well guess what, turns out it was nothing. But think I can remind them of that, nope. I also understand though that it is him having to face his own mortality and that it must be truely scarey.

I went over to the house last night to take their water jug to the store to get it filled. Mom has lymphodermia (spelling may be wrong) from her battle with breast cancer and so she is unable to lift or vacuum or anything like that since the surgery 5.5 yrs ago. Dad has had to step in and take care of things like that. Well now he is so exhausted all the time and in quite a bit of pain that he is also unable to do these things, so my sister and I have to step in. And thats ok with me, I kinda like taking care of my parents and helping them out...heck they have been doing the same for me for over 25 yrs now! Right as I got there they were going to walk up to the chinese restaurnant and have dinner but my dad started to have a coughing attack. He has been coughing up alot of blood lately. Well when I returned with the water they were still there and it hadnt stopped yet. I talked with my mom today and she said that it continued for most of the night. These attacks scare my dad and make him really upset, and he cried. I only know this cause my mom told me....I have only seen my father cry twice in my life.

And so my heart is broken.

My daddy, the man I have always looked up to and respected so much, is absolutely terrified and there is nothing I can do.

He was supposed to have started the radiation this week but apparently it was decided to start the chemo first and then the radiation on the same day so his appoitment was bumped to next week. Poor guy had himself all stressed out earlier in the week about starting radiation and then they go and change it on him without even telling us. We didnt find out til we had driven to the cancer clinic!!!

My sister and I were over there again tonight and we could see the worry on his face about tomorrow. Please anyone out there who reads this, pray for my father tomorrow, I cant handle seeing him break any more.

Also if anyone out there can shed some light as to what exactly occurs during a brain scan and how long it takes to get the results back it would be appreciated.

Thanks for listening!

Hey Tracy, I'm praying for good results for your dad's tests. Doesn't sound like our good old Canadian healthcare system makes things happen like they do across the border. Hope your dad gets through treatment OK. I'm going to ride Mt. Douglas hill repeats tomorrow; it's 400m high, and I'm going to try to beat my 8 times to the top, and back down again - I'll ride them all for your dad. Take care.

David P.

Tracy, so sorry your dad is having these problems. I pray for better times ahead. It is time to give your parents more attention. I told my son when Lucie was in the hospital that I was not as strong as he thought I was, and that the kids would have to be the caregivers now. The three of them have been very supportive, each in their own way. Family together is a blessing. Keep us posted. Don

Tracy,

I am sorry about the pain and worry your family is dealing with now.

When my mom had her MRI it took about 40 minutes and then her doctor (onc) met us down in the MRI place to discuss the results. I hope that helps with the time frame you asked about.

I will pray for your family and that your dad will find the strength and peace he needs to fight this beast.

David P.

What a beautiful thing to do for Tracy's dad, you are truely an inspiration to us all.

HUGS to YOU BOTH, Shelly

Hi Tracy,

I know its hard to watch our dads go through this heart-breaking ugly disease. I struggle with it everyday. As far as the MRI it does take about 40 minutes and is completely painless. We received my dads results within a couple days. I'm not sure how it works in Canada though, if I remember correctly I think they keep you waiting a while. I thought I remember one of the members of the boards saying that, but I could be wrong, hopefully so. Noone should have to wait for results that are so important.

Hi Tracy,

I am saying prayers for your dear daddy. I understand how you are feeling. It is so heartbreaking watching someone you love experiencing such depths of fear, anxiety and depression. It tears me up inside.

When my husband had his Brain Scan, he said it was a painless procedure. In fact, he had it sort of early in the morning, and he fell asleep during it. From what I've heard, I believe it was something akin to getting an X-ray of the head. You lay on a table with your upper body in a tunnel type device while a bunch of noises and whiring goes on around you. We found out the results of the brain scan the following day.

I'm hoping that those pesky headaches are caused by nothing more than stress. Will be praying for good results.

Carleen

Tracy, hello. This is a very scary thing to have to go through for anybody. I have said before and I will repeat that I think that sometimes it can be harder on the caregivers than it is on the patients. It can be terrifying to know that you have this thing and that any little thing you feel could be contributed to it. My prayers are with you and your father that he may beat this thing, it can be done.

Tracy,

The brain scan affects people in different ways. It is painless but for some people it can cause anxiety due to the closed in feeling. Bill was offered a tranquilizer the last time that he had one done.

You are a wonderful daughter and are doing so much for your dad. I pray that he has a good result today and that they find out what is causing all those headaches (could be stress).

Blessings to you,

Peg

The brain scan whether a CT or MRI neither is painful. Reassure him. Hope he can find peace thus giving you all some too.

DAVID you wear me out! You and that bicycle, I would drop over blue at the end of my block if I rode 100 ft. One of these days maybe I will breathe like you. 8)

thank you all so very much.

dad had the scan yesterday and after that he had his chemo teaching. My mom and dad left directly from the cancer clinic and headed up to Whistler for a nice weekend away.....me and my sister were going to go also but then we thought "how romantic can that be??"

dad said that the scan went ok, but unsure when we will get the results. Cathy you are definately right about things being slower up here....my dad was diagnosed back in April and he will finally start treatment next tuesday...3 full months after the diagnosis. During those three months it has been nothing but test test test, which I understand they need to be done, but I am reading in so many of peoples posts or signatures that they start treatment within weeks! It almost makes me agree with my mom that maybe something cant be done....why else would they be postponing everything. With my moms cancer battle she was in surgery three weeks after diagnosis and then started chemo and rad very shortly afterwards. So why is it taking so long.

My mother really upset me yesterday...I had called her at work in the morning to see how she was doing and she was beyond worried sick. I tired to remind her of what happened when we heard the liver was enlarged, and how it turned out to be nothing. My intent on this was just to say, hey wait until the doctors say anything before pronouncing him dead, but I didnt ( I dont want to disrespect my mother and her feelings, just address them). She then laid into me on how I am not paying any attention on what is going on and that I need to wake up and realize the truth.

I know we deal with things differently, she was the same way with her own battle, but you cant tell her that. I am a positive thinker and she is a fatalist. I was so upset that I had to leave work because I had such a pounding headache after talking with her.

thanks again everyone for your kind words....hopefully it wont take too long to find out and hopefully I will be able to post a good news update.

tracy

tRACY,

I HOPE YOUR FATHER CAN GET THE MUCH NEEDED TREATMENTS. IT IS SO HARD TO JUST SIT AND WAIT, SIT AND WAIT TILL WE WANT TO SCREAM.

MY HUSBAND BUDDY GOES FOR FOLLOWUP CT OF BRAIN, BONE AND AN MRI NEXT TUESDAY BUT I AM TRYING TO REMAIN CALM WITH GOOD THOUGHTS. WILL ADDRESS IT ONLY WHEN I HAVE TO. NO NEED TO SIT HERE AND WORRY. IT CAN'T SOLVE ANYTHING. GOD BLESS YOUR FAMILY.