Pet Scan

denn1don

Congrats on the NED!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Have her ask the Dr for an order for xanax. They come in 0.25, 0.50, and 1 mg doses. She could take one before the scan and it really relaxes you. Also tell her to keep her eyes closed and think of a pleasant place. It always helps me.

They always let me choose the music I want to listen to when I have these done.

Good Luck!

Cindy

Dennis! Please tell your wife that the PET Scan is not bad! The tube is short, so some part of your body is always sticking out. The tube is not nearly as small and close as the tube for an MRI. You can almost always see daylight at the end of the tube and hear the Technican. I've had both and much prefer the PET Scan. Good luck to her! Marge

For my MRI, my doctor prescribed 10 mg of Valium, taken one hour before the test. I'm sure that someone was hurtin' somewhere, but it sure as heck wasn't me!

Warn her that the machine (MRI) is loud and the spinning makes a big grinding noise. The machine I went into was not an open MRI and the techs put ear phones on so I could listen to some really bad selections of music along with the grinding...I have sensitive ears and it was just a bit too loud for me, but the Valium helped with that, too... Happy girl, happy girl...LOL

Part of the anxiety is fear of the unknown. It is a bit "snug", but it ain't like being shoved into a sleeping bag headfirst...and she may have the option of an open MRI if she lets her doctor know about her anxiety level with the claustrophobia....

Good luck for nothing to worry about AND getting through the scan.

Becky

I can't speak to the MRI because I've never had one, but the PET scan was really no big deal. It's just a donut shaped machine that they slide you slowly in and out of. Only a small part of your body is in the machine at a time and you can always see out. I didn't find it claustrophobic at all, and I get a little claustrophobic at times.

But, as the others have said, a little valium or xanax can be very helpful for tolerating these tests.

Good luck.

Cindy

Hi Dennis, I can really understand your wifes fears, I too developed an irrational fear of all of the testing and procedures that I had done. The MRI was the one that started it for me, Had I known that it would be so scary I surely would have taken something to calm me down.So when I started my radiation treatments I asked the docter to prescribe something for me, so I took ativan before each treatment. I never felt drugged in any way but I never had a panic attack during any of the procedures. If I ever have to have another MRI I would bring my own night mask for my eyes. I was told I could but to make sure it was only made of cloth no metal or beeds. I wanted to keep my eyes shut and I did but of course my irrational fear kept telling me to open them, so I feel if they were covered It wouldnt matter if I opened them. I tried to do all of this with just breathing techniques and visualization, but then I said why should I suffer any more than I have to. The pills really made my life so much easier. I do want to say that my docters told me that an open MRI is not as good as an enclosed one, so I decided to get the best info I could and did the enclosed. I have just finished up with my PCI treatments . I found the pills to be most helpful wih this treatment, as this can also be scary. The actual time spent on the table is maybe 5 minutes, but the pills make it ok to handle. I found the PET scan to be one of the easier test to have. It last about 45 minutes but you are not enclosed in anyway, and they play relaxing music.But I took a pill anyway just so I did not have to worry about it at all. I hope this helps your wife, she can get thru this. Sounds like you are a very loving and caring husband, as mine is which will also get her thru all of this. Take care. Bev

I took 5 mgs of Valium before my first brain MRI (fear of the unknown)....but the REAL key was that the tech put a washcloth over my eyes. That way, even IF I opened them, I couldn't really see anything...other than a bit of light. I sure couldn't see how close the machine was to my face!!

I've had three brain MRI's now...and one of my gut, too...where my whole body was really in the machine. None have been an open MRI....all were the closed one. With a washcloth over my eyes and ear plugs, that's all I've needed.

Oh, it's loud in there....but no louder than having two kids, a couple of dogs, a doorbell and a telephone all "going off at once" is loud! :wink:

It's scarier in anticipation than in actual fact, I think. Your wife will do fine...but tell her to be sure to ask for the washcloth over her eyes!!

Dennis,

I have had an open MRI and I think it depends upon the equipment---with the newer up-to-date equipment, I think the results are as good now with the Open MRI's. . I would not have not been able to do a closed one, no matter how much they drugged me up ---The PET was easy because it is open and and no time did I feel claustrophobic.

© 2002 Sioux Falls Open MRI, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Approximately nine out of ten MRI machines in use require the patient to slide headfirst into a narrow tunnel. Most of these units produce high-quality images, but the "enclosed tunnel causes anxiety related reactions in up to 30% of patients," according to a recent study published in the Journal of American Medical Association. These anxiety related symptoms can cause the patient to move in discomfort which in-turn lowers the image quality of the film.The award winning Hitachi Airis II MRI is very open to eliminate patient claustrophobia. In addition, it's magnet is six times stronger than most other open-air MRI scanners. This results in greater image detail equal to that of closed (tunnel) MRI scanners. Because of this, doctors are better able to make accurate and professional diagnosis on the MRI exam being performed, while you relax in complete open-air comfort. The best of both worlds.

I am hoping you get great results from the tests

regards