Rob's Hospital Stay Continues

mscyn4u

Hi All,

It has been a few days and I am just giving you an update. To date, Rob is still in the hospital it will be 14 days tomorrow. There has been slow recovery for him. They were able to remove one chest tube on Tuesday and the other is still draining. They had to take him off the Zanax after I wrote a letter to all the physicians, he was sleeping 90% of the time and had no desire to get out of the bed to help expedite his recovery.

They say maybe the chemo and radiation treatments from 1997-1998 slowed down the healing process of his lungs, they also say this happens a lot when there is malignancy, but according to the surgeon, they removed all of the cancer, so they rule that out. They really cannot pinpoint a reason his recovery is taking such a long time.

This has been a hellavua experience, I stayed in the hospital for 2 nights again before coming back home to our own bed on Tuesday night. Now that he can get through the night without panicking, I can sleep at thome.

The fluid build up on his ankles and feet are now being treated by intravenous Lasix, as the pills were not working for him. He is finally getting rid of those puffy feet and ankles. I see now every experience of lobectomies are different. I just hope he can get home and get well without any recurrence. I have to go out of town on Saturday for a funeral for an Uncle that died on Tues in a local hospice as a result of emphysema, he was only 58. I have truly seen evidence of the dangers of smoking in my uncle and my husband.

I just went home to the Chicago area during the week of June 23 to a funeral for a 47 year old cousin that died of liver cancer. This death all around us is causing emotional turmoil with his hospital stay and his surgery. I try to focus on the positive and count my blessings that he is alive and not focus on death!!!

Well my friends, I am limited to the time I can sit at the computer and read posts, but I wanted to fill you in on what is happening to Rob and I. I welcome all newcomers that are deaingl with this dreadful disease and hope somewhere in my on-going diatribe, you can find something you can use.

Blessings to you all....

Cynthia

CYNTHIA,

SO GLAD ROB IS HOPEFULLY ON THE ROAD TO RECOVERY. SURE IS STRANGE WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO HIM. I KNOW I WENT TO THE HOSPITAL FOR A GALL BLADDER OPERATION A FEW YEARS AGO AS A 23 HR OPERATION AND WAS SO SICK I ASKED THEM NOT TO SEND ME HOME. THEY WOULD PAT ME ON THE HEAD AND SAY YOU WILL BE FINE WHEN YOU GET HOME. WAS HOME ABOUT 8 HOURS AND BACK AT THE HOSPITAL FOR 7 MORE DAYS. HAD A REACTION TO THE MEDICINE THEY PUT ME UNDER WITH. THEY PUMPED MY STOMACH OUT FOR 4 DAYS. ONE NEVER KNOWS WHEN GOING UNDER THE KNIFE..

THINGS WILL CALM DOWN WHEN YOU ALL DO GET HOME. GOD BLESS

I was away for a week, and missed a lot of your posts. I feel for you and your husband. I had breast cancer in 93, then a new primary in 97. I found that very hard to handle emotionally, and was unable to express much emotion about it. I didn't know many people with two primaries. I went on St John's Wort after the chemo, but should have been put on anti-depressents. No one paid attention, and I didn't talk.

When the lung cancer hit, I knew I needed a therapist, or I would go out of my mind. I encourage you and/or Rob to go. The therapy has given me a safe place to let go.

You are trying so hard to be patient, and he knows it. I just know that multiple cancers (all primaries) sent me into a tailspin. Use us to vent.

gail

Hi Cynthia;

I'm so sorry you and Rob are going through this, you both will continue to be in my prayers.

God Bless, hang in there and try to take it 1 day at a time

Bobmc - NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"