1st Post

Hello Everybody!

My name is Larry Reidnour and my wife's name is Jan. I have been so encouraged by reading the many wonderful testimonials that all of you have posted that I thought it time I did the same. Jan was diagnosed back in early February with SCLC of the right lung with mets to the liver and possibly the T-7 Bone Facet. Her onc gave her 12-16 weeks with no treatment and by quoting stats, 6 months to a year with treatment. I haven't figured out which is worse yet, hearing this on an ordinary afternoon in the doctors office, or the month prior of "not knowing", going from weekend to weekend awaiting test results. It rocked our world as I know it did all of yours when you got your news, but we got our game faces on she started the treatments of Cisplatin/VP16 for 3 days a week, every 3 weeks for 6 weeks. She did very well on the chemo judging by the horror stories I have heard about those who didn't. It did get worse towards the end, but she made it. I am happy to say that the cancer in her right lung is gone, and what small spot that is showing in her liver is more than likely scar tissue according to her onc. They are now starting to think that the spot on her T-7 Facet which has remained unchanged from scan to scan, may not even be cancer at all. Her onc sent her to a radiologist this past Monday and he has elected to do radiation on her lung to make double sure they got it all. She starts that a week from Monday, 5 days a week for 6 weeks. 30 treatments in all.

We have really been encouraged, as I stated earlier, by the success stories in these posts. Please know that we rejoice in those happy stories, and our hearts our truly saddened by those that are not as happy. We continue to take this thing one day at a time and know that only the Lord knows what's in store next. The courage that all of you are showing are contributing to changing those god-awful stats that we hate to hear and read about. We will be in touch!

Take care,

Larry

Larry and Jan, good to meet you, just wish it was under different circumstances. You are correct, there are many good people here, welcome aboard. The news sounds very good about your wife. The only good thing that can be said about SCLC is that it responds very well to treatments. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE DOCS ABOUT STATISTICS. Statistics is a dirty word. Ignore them. Live life to the fullest and enjoy every day and just concentrate on a full cure. My prayers are with you and your wife. Let us know how things progress.

David C

Welcome Larry and Jan,

As we say to all new members, we wish you did not have to be here but it certainly sounds like Jan's news is positive.

My husband had 28 radiation treatments and basically breezed through it (easy for me to say). Fatigue was the biggest down side. KEEP HYDRATED!!! Have you read that here before.

Ask about Carafat - I really believe that helped my husband have no esophagial problems. He has his last chemo treatment on Mon and he is really feeling crappy today - real tired. But we are counting down to when all the side effects of the treatments will go away.

Keep us posted and welcome again.

Dear Larry & Jan,

Welcome. It sounds like Jan has done really well with her treatments. My situation was very similar, i was treated last April-June 2002, and to date am cancer-free. I was diagnosed as sclc-limited. Had cisplatin and etoposide(VP-16) and 32 rounds of twice daily radiation. Keep a positive outlook, you look like a "fightn' couple" to me :wink:

Joanie

Thanks to all who have responded! We sincerely appreciate the warm welcome. We will keep you posted on Jan's progress and look forward to all the good news back from y'all.

Sincerely,

Larry

Dearest Jan and Larry; You are right about ones world being "Rocked" by the news of cancer. Jan, my situation is almost identical to yours. I showed a area of cancer in my right lung and also a small spot on my liver and possible "Hot Spot" on a lymph node. My oncologist prescribed a combination of Cisplatin, vp-16 and radiation all at the same time. After having dealt with that all pretty well, the scans showed no evidence of disease and they decided that the liver spot was not a concern. I am presently 1/2 way through Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation (PCI). and that also seems to be going well. I wish you both the best in your fight, and will remember you in my thoughts and prayers. Kentwisc.

WELCOME LARRY AND JAN,

WELCOME TO THE ROLLER COASTER RIDE. SOME DAYS WE ARE UP AND OTHER DAYS WE ARE DOWN. OF COURSE LIFE WITHOUT CANCER CAN BE THAT WAY TOO. THIS IS A GREAT BOARD TO COME TO. THE KNOWLEDGE IS GREAT AND THE PEOPLE ARE TERRIFIC AND CARING. GOD BLESS YOU BOTH.

Jan and Larry.

Truely inspirational news if I ever heard it. What a great way to get your "feet wet" on the board. So many of the people using this message board are looking for that bit of news that will spell a little hope, and offer the possibility of the same kind of results for themselves, or their loved ones. Thanks, welcome, and I hope to be seeing more of you two on the board sharing your LC wisdom and experiences with those who are looking for hope, and advise.