Brand New Patient

UncleDoug

During a hospital visit on St. Patrick's Day (March 17, 2005) for a bad back it was discovered that I had a tumor on my left lung which had spread to my right adrenal gland. Today (March 22) I have my first meeting with a pulmonologist. I do not yet know what type of lung cancer I have, or its staging. I am very new to this and am really just now starting my journey. Thank you all for being here! I would appreciate hearing from any veterans who have advice.:?:

I was "lucky enough" to have been diagnosed because I had shoulder and chest pain. If my tumor had not been on the edge of my lung giving me pain I probably would have not know it was there until much later. Perhaps your back pain let you be diagnosed earlier too. Please let us know what your plan will be. I had the works as you see below. In April I will celebrate 7 yrs since I totally finished treatment. Keep us posted and welcome. Donna G

Hang in there, it's a bumpy ride. Right now, you're still in the "I don't really believe it" stage. You will work into the "oh sh*t, now what" panic mode soon. Try to divert the path around that panic mode to the "on with the battle plan" mode if at all possible.

When the bands around your chest start to tighten, remember to breathe. When the world is closing in all around you and you have a hard time seeing any bright side, concentrate on the small things that really are the most important - a big breath in through the nose and let out slowly through the mouth. By about five of the deep cleansing breaths, those bands on your chest will begin to ease and you'll be able to breathe without the squeeze. I'm not talking about bands of pain, I'm talking about bands of stress...

Take it one day at a time. Find the joy in every day, be it the early blooming flowers popping up through the snow, the goofiness of a family pet or the warmth of the sun on your face. Little things mean a lot.

Take care, stop in often.

Becky

Hi Doug,

So sorry you had to find us. But you have come to the best place for support, guidance and on hand infomation.

You must be so scared right now, as we all have gone through that. Hopefully, they caught yours early and it will be operable.

If it is in the later stages, the advice I can give you is do not listen to statistics. That would really scare you. LC is not a death sentence, there are so many people here who have beaten the odds, it happens everyday.

Hang in there, be positive and keep us posted.

Maryanne

Dear Uncle Doug,

Hi & welcome. We all know you wish like heck you didn't need to be here but I guarantee, you'll be glad you found us. The biggie is attitude. Right now is the worst hurdle. Once you have a plan of attack set up with your doctor, then you can start working on the really important stuff like living & enjoying it.

Believe it or not, right now (most of the time anyway) I'm enjoying my life more than I ever have. For the first time in my life, I've learned that there is a ton of joy to be had & all you have to do is to let it in. I know that it's a bit early for you to do that yet but the sooner you can, the better off you'll be. When you finally get it that life itself is terminal, then you can get on with the process of living whatever time there is to the best of your ability & to it's fullest.

Just want you to know that you'll be in my prayers.

Take care,

Melanie

Hi Doug, and welcome to our support family.You will find lots of knowing and caring people here.

There isn't a lot you can do just yet.Once you know what type and stage it is you and your drs. can formulate a plan of attack to best combat it.

Ask lots of questions and learn as much as you can about lung cancer.Knowledge is power in this fight.Stay tuned in here as there are many here that can help you along the way.

Hi Doug,

Sorry you have to be here but I never thought I would be either. I have been waiting since March 1st for my fate. I've had all the tests and the biopsy on Friday. I should know today or tomorrow. I can tell you in my case I have had terrible anxiety, depression, sadness waiting for the results. I try to keep active to take my mind off of it. I have recieved e-mails and so much support and prayers from people it's unbelievable. I do have some good days but the wait is awful. Hang in there and keep coming back to this site and keep us all posted.. It is a wonderful site for not only support, but prayers and many, many people who have beaten this. God bless you and you will be in my prayers also. The power of prayer, even if you are not a religious person, can be overwhelmining.

Hi Doug.

Welcome to this group of optimists. You are just in the beginning of probably the most challenging times of your life. Everything that you have learned up til now, you will need to garner to get through what is ahead of you. There are tons of emotions that come with facing this death defying and life affirming illness. We are here for all of it..every last bit.

One of the things that got me through was to deal with the emotions the best I could as they arose. I tried not to hide from the fears, but worked through them the best I could. There were times when the anxiety was so overwhelming, that I did depend on a tiny tablet of ativan to help me to sleep. It does help to chase away the boogie men.

Another thing that got me through was spending as much time doing what I loved the most. I went fishing..for as much as I could in between treatments. I had a lot of spiritual experiences in that ice house...

Oh, there is so much more Uncle Doug, but you will catch on. Anytime you need anything at all, we are here for you in every way imaginable.

I have been treated for advanced lung cancer and I am still able to "gripe" about it over two years later. It is like Melanie says, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cindi o'h

Welcome, Uncle Doug!!! We are glad you found us. This group is wonderful and will be very helpful to you. As soon as you learn all the details about your case , you will feel better. It takes a while until all the test results are in and staging is done. Know that there are people here in all different stages and types of lung cancer that are doing well. Folks here are more than happy to share experiences and answer questions. Support is such a tremendous help. Know that you can count on many prayers coming your way, as well. Take care and keep us informed.

Sue

Doug,

Sorry you had to seek us out, but VERY glad you did.

I can't add much to what the others have said, other than this:

Attitude will be your greatest ally ... or your greatest enemy. And remember, attitude is a choice and you can start working on that right away. My suggestion is to change the word "patient" in your subject to "survivor".

So let me offer a hearty "welcome" to our "brand new survivor"!

Dean

Welcome~

There are others here that also have mets to the adrenal gland/s and are doing well. I know it's hard right now...I remember this time well..but like Becky said, keep breathing and try to get to the battle plan as soon as you can.

Rochelle

Hi and welcome. Once you find out exactly what you're dealing with, that's step one. Then, get a battle plan with you and your doctor. Please realize this is not an easy battle, but, many people here have been through it and succeeded. Also, we are here for you for support whenever you get "crazy" over all of this. Also, we have an Experts forum which is very good for technical questions. Hang in there. The ride is tough, but you've got 1600 + people behind you. Please let us know how you're doing.

Joanie

Hi Doug,

Welcome! Best place, with the best people, for sharing, caring and knowledge. Lots to take in at first and one gets shell shocked at the beginning. Be pro-active. Take it one step and one day at a time. Stay positive and focused. Just put one foot in front of the other and keep moving. Down the road join a support group. Helps to talk to people who have been there/done that. Research as much as you can. The more one knows the better off one is. It is (to quote Frank) doable. Not saying it's easy but can be done, can still have a life. Hopes this helps. Prayers for the Best.

Rich