Hey ya'll...

Guest Corwin

Guest Corwin

A friend from another site found this Forum and sent me over.

I was diagnosed last week, via a routine CAT scan for problems related to another bout with cancer from 1998. I had squamous cell carcinoma in my lower jaw, went through very aggressive chemo and radiation therapy, and then surgery to replace the diseased jawbone with a fibular implant.

I've battled Osteo-Radio Necrosis ever since, and had some severe problems 2 years ago that almost got me. Last year I was in the hospital again in Seattle for the final repair to my left jaw using bone from my hip this time.

All has been relatively well ever since. I'm on tube feeding pretty much permanently because of paralysis in my throat, but I haven't let it stop me.

I developed an infection last week, after feeling pretty lousy for a week or so. They did the scan to look for problems in my neck, and found the top of the tumor that's growing in my right lung. Not at all what I ever expected. They did a PET last week and confirmed the diagnosis.

Anyway, I'm scheduled for a biopsy tomorrow morning, and I guess we'll see where this goes from there.

I've been doing some research, and I've realized that the prognosis isn't all that good. I have a lot of hope, and I'm determined to fight this as long as it takes. I'm lucky to have a close family, and I'm on just about every prayer list that's going, which gives me great comfort. I've also got the Book of Job bookmarked in my Bible, just in case I need a little reinforcement.

I'm not sure what to expect from this group, but I'm willing to see what develops.

One thing I do not handle well is pity. Don't need it or want it. Prayers and good wishes are always in order though....

That's my story, in abbreviated form...

Thanks!

Corwin,

Welcome. I'm sorry you are dealing with this on top of everything else. No pity, simple statement, I'm sorry. Sucks to be here - but glad you have found a place to reach out for that extra courage and bit of determination when the monsters come out.

Let us know what you need.

Becky

Hi Corwin

I am sorry to read about your recent diagnosis. Sounds like you've certainly been dealt alot to deal with over the last few years, but that you've handled it really well. I really like your fighting spirit. Yep, you are right in that the prognosis we all read for lung cancer isn't fantastic, but there are so many people here who are turning that prognosis on it's head. Welcome and I look forward to getting to know you better.

with best wishes

Jana

x

Welcome to our little world, Corwin. Sorry you had to come here, but there are many wonderful people here who are going through what you are. We are here to gain knowledge and to support one another.

LC is not a death sentence. Do not listen to statistics. So many people on here have beaten the odds. With your positive thinking you will also conquer this.

Good luck with your biospy tomorrow, keep us posted.

Maryanne

Corwin,

There is a very good surgeon at NCI, NIH who has taken on dissecting tumors out from the neck and paratracheal region, pancoast from what I know personally, general l.c. for sure. He has the patience other doctors, including some from major cancer centers, do not. If you need a second opinion I would highly recommend him. He also did Kasey's surgery.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this position again, but I admire your grit already. Welcome to the family.

Wishing you only the best

MaryAnn

Welcome Corwin: you sound like a fighter. Later stage lung cacnere is being viewed more and more these days as a chronic disease that can be managed.

I read a translation form Hebrew to English of the "Book of Job", by Stephen Mitchell, some years ago which made a big impression on me. Maybe I should reread it.

Hello, Corwin:

You've come to the right place to be among other people who have this horrible lung cancer and who lend support, hope, and loving care and concern to other in our "family." Welcome to the "family" although all of us would prefer we didn't have to support each other for this reason.

When you feel like venting, come here and do it; when you feel sad, happy, cry, laugh, or have other emotions you want to talk about, do it. We're here for you.

I don't pity you, but I certainly feel bad that you have come down with yet another cancer after all that you have been dealt. But I am very happy that you are dealing with this so well, as a good attitude like yours is beneficial to dealing with this monster.

Job is a wonderful example of how to persevere through trials and tribulations, we could all benefit by his courage.

Love and prayers being sent to you for good tests and results

Barb

Hi Corwin

Welcome to this site. No one wants to be here but there is a great bunch of people. lots of ideas, suggestions, good for venting.... Not much pity here either cause people are too busy "fighting" this disease. Sounds like you've already had your share of fights but will keep on fightin'.

Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Gail P-M