Congestive Heart Failure?

WinsorCat

This Easter I noticed my feet were swelling ....I've had swelling but this was very excesssive and painful. We went to the ER and I came out with a DX of Congestive Heart Failure and a prescription for Lasix. Also had chest x-ray , ekg, ultrasound of legs and feet and several blood tests.All of these were within normal limits.

I am scared....is this something one can live with or is it my final ticket?

I dont know anything about this one so I'm on the net today doing the google thing and looking for answers.

Thank you all in advance for any insight you can give...God be with us all

Sorry to hear your frightened.Congestive heart failure can be very serious.A lot of people in my life have had it.Most of them have surgery to open up the vessels or arteries or have stents put in.you should stay on top of this and take needed steps to treat it.

If left untreated it will sneak up and get you down the road.

Guy,

I will pray for you to find strength within yourself to deal with this new diagnosed problem, and to conquer your fears...

Frank's advice is good. Find a good cardiologist who works well with your oncologist -- maybe your oncologist could recommend one.

It sounds like there are ways of managing this coronary disease that will allow you to keep fighting the cancer as well.

I will keep you in my prayers, that God will grant you strength....

and of course, we will give you all the support we can right here.

XOXOXOXOX

Prayers, always,

MaryAnn

Hi Guy, Sorry to hear that. Yes Congestive Heart Failure can be serious but treatable. I also have CHF. You need to be working with a cardiologist and CHF nurse. The important thing is to keep your weight down, fluids down and limit your sodium intake. In my case no more then 64 oz of fluid a day and no more then 2000 mg of sodium a day. Weight should not go up more then a pound or two, need to weigh each day. Also on Lasix, which helps for fluid built-up. They will let you know what type you have and what is the best type of treatment plan for you. Again it is treatable and doable even with lung cancer. Feel free to PM anytime if I can be of help. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best. Rich

Hi! Congestive heart failure is nothing to play around with. I would go

to see a Pulmonary Dr. ASAP. It can be controlled if you get in touch w/ a good Dr.

Take care and good luck.

This Easter I noticed my feet were swelling ....I've had swelling but this was very excesssive and painful. We went to the ER and I came out with a DX of Congestive Heart Failure and a prescription for Lasix. Also had chest x-ray , ekg, ultrasound of legs and feet and several blood tests.All of these were within normal limits.

I am scared....is this something one can live with or is it my final ticket?

I dont know anything about this one so I'm on the net today doing the google thing and looking for answers.

Thank you all in advance for any insight you can give...God be with us all

Approx. a month ago my wife was in full resp. arrest with CHF and renal failure and she bounced back in a couple of weeks. A combination of aggressive & excellent critical care in ICU and, hopefully, a Tarceva rescue did the trick. I'll know more about Tarceva's role in this after I see her PET scan results. She received several C/V meds and supportive care ( incl. intubation & thoracentesis ) along with alot of CHF specific lab tests that I've never heard of. I didn't fully realize that she was being treated for CHF until ~ the 4th day into this crisis.

Good luck.

I am really sorry to hear that you have hit another bump in the road. I don't know much about CHF so I cannot give you much advise. Please remember that you are a survivor, LC is a mean disease but you have been living with it. Hang in there, you have alot of people pulling for you.

Take care,

Wendy

Hi

CHF is definetely a serious thing and it can be caused by numerous things, not just heart disease though this is the most obvious cause. THink of this as a warning sign to you that you must pay attention to and once again have a thorough workup to find the cause. It may be due to an underlying heart condition that you didn't know you had, could be a side effect of medication that you are on or could be related to hypertension or kidney disease also. This is something that you need the answer to in order to find the right treatment. It is certainly by ne means the "final ticket" I have care for many many people with CHF who have led long and wonderful lifes. Think of this as yet another "bump" in the road

Dawn