Hello---new member

bethgolson

Hi everyone..........just joining here, and wanted to tell you why I'm here and introduce myself. My name is Beth and I am 39. Last May, I had a right middle lobectomy for a 1+cm carcinoid tumor. Carcinoids are not quite like NSCLC, but are a cousing to SCLC............except that they are typically slow-growing, thus offering a good chance at cure. They don't usually respond to chemo or radiation, so if surgically removed, and with no evidence of liver or bone mets, then treatment is usually complete. Every 3 months I have blood tumor markers checked (carcinoids produce hormones) and I have yearly chest/abdomen/pelvic CTs, as well as a neuroendocrine-tumor-sensitive nuclear medicine scan called an Octreoscan.

Anyway, I am here mostly to find out how others have fared after having thoracotomy surgery. It has been fairly tough for me, and I still experience shortness of breath and right-sided chest wall pain. I just wondered if this was common.......... It is frustrating trying to work full time, since fatigue is also pretty bad. I am curious as to how others are doing after their surgery.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who will post, and I hope everyone is having a pleasant Sunday!

Beth

Welcome to our family.

I had a lower left lobectomy 4/01, and felt the effects for a while. Luckily, I was off for the summer and did not return to school until that September. Shortness of breath was a real concern for me that summer, and I used an inhaler. Heat bothered me as well as hills. (thank goodness Jersey is flat) It takes a long time for nerves to heal after surgery, so I think you are right on target as far as recovery.

Stay well.

gail

Hi Beth, I had the two upper lobes removed in June of 2001, and I still have some pain in the incision and surrounding area. I talked to the Onc last visit and she said that it would probably continue to be sore at times. My breathing is ok, but not one hundred percent, but I can live with the discomfort as long as the cancer does not return. Good luck to you and welcome aboard.

Yes, when they break your ribs they damage the nerves that run along them. Some say it goes away , many as myself, always are aware of it , also numbness under your breast. Many of us avoid the constriction of the appliance which is used to support the breasts because it also adds to the problem. I recently found a camosol at Target, that has small straps, and could give the appearance under a shear blouse that the appliance is still being worn even though it is not. This may not be adequate for those of us who are very well endowed. I also find to ly flat on my back it hurts until it finally "calms" down. Water aerobics is good to increase lung capacity. This with time we get used to and don't notice after a while. I am not complaining the alternative to this discomfort , not having had surgery, would be not being here to enjoy this beautiful summer day. I hope you continue to improve , and welcome you to the board as a Lung Cancer Survivor :D:D:D

Thanks to all of you for your kind emails and helpful thoughts. I must say, that in reading some of your past posts, I have seen some wonderfully inspiring stories, and it is very encouraging to see so many people doing well after their treatments/surgeries, but still sad to see references to those who have not.

My grandmother died of small-cell in 1988 and it was a very scary time for me during my diagnosis process........especially since I am a 25 year smoker. After my surgery I stopped of course, but in a weakened moment 4 months ago I started back----now I'm doing the every-other-week quitting marathon yet again. I am on other medications that prevent me from taking the Zyban, but each week I get a little longer without one, so hopefully I will soon have it under control, though it's very hard.

I am shocked to see so many young people here, and that is a scary thought since my 16 (today) year old daughter refuses to stop smoking as well.

Thanks again for the welcome, and if I can ever provide advice or info to anyone (as an xray tech), please ask!

Beth

Welcome Beth!! I only recently had my surgery but I have to add to this thread especially since Donna G touched on something that I've been trying to figure out how to "delicately" post!!! Its 4 weeks since my surgery and the only real pain I have is my right front chest wall, from the middle to the right side, right under my right breast. I have some discomfort in other places but that is primarily my main source of pain (and numbness).

I have been trying to figure out how I am going to ever wear, as Donna so delicately puts it, an appliance :lol: again. I bought this sports thingy today because I thought that would work but, at least for the present, a big thumbs down...WAY too painful. What do you do? Im not sure a camisole would work for me. I most likely will be starting back to work in August and this is one of the major things on my mind. I mean, I know that people have bigger problems than that and I feel petty even asking but who else do you ask?? I really have no idea what to do and if I will ever heal enough to wear something and how soon that may be. Any advice ladies?

Debi

46 years old

Stage 1A

Surgery June 16, 2003- right upper and mid lobe removed

Well, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who's had this problem.......For the first 6 - 8 weeks postop, I was not able to wear an "appliance" either, so I bought some men's sleeveless undershirts (the ribbed kind) in a size small. Since I am an XL, they fit very snugly and did the trick! In fact, I had surgery in MAy 2002 and went back to work in August, and still wore them at work under my uniforms for the first couple weeks! I found that to be the most comfortable and functional thing to do.

The numbness does slowly go away, and at one year postop I have numbness only along the scar line. I do, however, have right chest-wall pain and pain along the front right ribs from the chest tube. It is not bad at all unless it's about to rain.........so I have become a very reliable weather predictor!

Beth

Hi I had my on June 23rd of 2000 and did not wear a bra until mid-September when I had to go back to work---and it was uncomfortable- I know they have camisoles with built in bras---may help as there are no straps under your breast

the numbness does eventually go away---I am 3 yrs and it still is a little sensitive

I do not think my ribs were cracked---as I did not have that much pain----

did have a lot of indigestion though

regards

eileen

nsclc lobectomy 6/00 stage 1A

As always, thank you!

I think that Beth's idea will work best for now but I did look up the website for Barely there and I think that will definitely be in my future. Imagine that....comfortable undergarments!! :)

Thanks again for all the feedback and company in this unwanted learning experience!!

Debi