Doesn't get easier . . .

gail

1993, breast cancer, stage 1, very small---94% cure rate

1997, breast cancer, same breast, new primary, stage 1--

April 2001, lung nodule. Know if it's breast mets, not good. According to surgeon, I was "lucky" it was lung cancer. Stage 1A, best kind, rah, rah, rah

My problem? the fear never leaves. Am I cancer free? I brought that up with my therapist--my answer to that is "Today I am cancer free"

April 24 will be 4 years, and yes, I know I've been very, very lucky. Will the luck hold? My little guy was 7 in 1993, and is now in college. Something has gone right I know.

I know, I know, all any of us have is today. I am giving this cancer stuff too much of my time right now. Time to put the nasty little guy that is screaming in my head, need to put him back into his room. And slam the door shut.

Thanks for letting me ramble

gail

I know exactly how you feel. Lance Armstrong wrote in his book that cancer may leave your body, but it never leaves you. I deal with the fear by trying to focus on the positives: I'm hear, it was caught early, I'm being monitored closely, all that stuff. I seem to do well and then I have what I call "bad cancer days" were I think way too much about it. Unfortunately, I think it will just take time to get better and eventually I will have less "bad cancer days."

Hey Gail,

It is people like you who give people like me a lot of hope. April was my breast cancer diagnosis, (very, very early stage, 98% cure rate) and I just had my annual mammogram, and it was benign, thankfully. So, that's 4 years for that under my belt, and I am one grateful survivor.

I'm also quickly approaching 2 years, lung tumor surgery...May 21 was my CT scan and by June 20 I was in surgery. I see my surgeon on June 1 and if everything's ok at that time, I go to once a year with him.

I have my panic over cancer days, and they are during the times leading up to a chest x-ray or mammogram. But, I have to say, thoughts of people like you keep me from absolute meltdown. I'm scared a lot, but I love hearing from people who survive all of this.....

So, in a very long, roundabout way, I'm trying to say, we need you here, keep up the good health!!!!!!!

Cindy

Gail,

Your post couldn't have come at a better time for me. I have been going through what can best be described as my worst time yet dealing with my fears. I have been reluctant to post regarding it, I feel like a broken record and at the very least, ungrateful.

It always helps to see that we are not alone, that we all have our little "guys" locked away in our heads that break out on occasion (and sometimes bring their friends :shock: !). I'm glad that you took the time to post about yours, so that I am reminded once again, that I'm not so unique.

Here's to an almost 4 years Gail, and as Cindi said, thanks for sticking around to show that it can be done....

I'm better now, thanks. Saw the onc today for my 3 month, which led to my post. I just get tired of cancer sometimes. :shock:

Anyway, spent time with sister and kids, got to see the little ones get off the bus. "Aunt Gail" bought them hoagies from Subway. :lol:

Then I went shopping and bought 3 spring shirts--very bright and cheery. It's what I do after an oncologist visit. Oh, and I had a Rita's for lunch as well. :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks guys

gail

Hi Gail and everyone,

It was so encouraging reading about how long you have been C free. :D

It certainly gives us hope as Joel was diagnoised with IB back in Nov.

He also had his upper left lobe removed and has just had his 3 month CT scan (NED) He will be starting Chemo carbo/taxol on 4/14.

All I can say is Thank G-d this was all caught in an early stage for all of you.

Gail, ramble away... you deserve it!!

Maryanne

Gail,

I know about kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop. The feeling gets les and less prominent, but never quite vanishes.... As for cancer-free, I'm afraid of Murphy -- I don't dare utter those words. I'll settle for No Evidence of Disease, thank you. Finally, five years post-diagnosis, I am working up enough nerve to have my mediport removed the end of April. I figured if I had it removed earlier, I'd for sure need it!! and I do not consider myself superstitious... lol...

Still, I know how it gets around checkup time. Shopping sounds like exactly the right antidote!! Shop on!

Wishing you peace of mind....

XOXOXOX

MaryAnn

I think you are smart to never quite let your guard down. You pay attention to what your body is telling you, and you follow up with scans. And I know it's unnerving and pretty much at the back of our minds always.....but you are still here. And that is a lucky thing for all of us.

• 2 weeks later...

Gail-

Congrats on your continuing longevity :wink: . What a whirlwind of cancers you have survived. I know exactly what you mean about the little monster making itself known from time to time. Glad to read your second post and see those ole positive vibes resurfacing...yeah, for shopping! You continue to light the way for many of us. Thanks!