Good old Iressa

marion

Had a PET scan last week and everything came back fine. Have been on Iressa since August of 2004.

I have lost 25 pounds and am having a terrible time eating. Even little meals. I am on the weak side and feel bad a lot. I do wish I could eat better for I think I would have more strength and maybe WOULD NOT feel so bad. Don't mean to complain for after all the scans were clear. But it doesn't take much to wear me out. Marion

Marion,

If you are experiencing the "Iressa runs", that could be contributing to your feeling of weakness. Try to treat the diarrhea so you can sleep through the night (when I was on it, the diarrhea woke me up at night - coulda been worse, I coulda NOT woke up and had a mess in the morning!). Having things pass through your system at light speed doesn't allow for much absorption. If you are having the "issue", try treating it and see if you feel any better...

Just a suggestion - I lost weight while on Iressa, too...and I couldn't sit down. :shock:

I am taking Immodian and Lomotil and still have the problem. Not as bad as it would be if I didn't take it.

But I just can't get an appetite and might eat several bites and that is it, even if I try. I eat several times a day. I feel very empty inside and hungary but I can't eat a half way normal meal. I have gotten the Ensure to see if that will help. I have also been on Vitamins. Marion

Guest vanessa

Marion, my mom has also been on Iressa since August. For the lack of appetite, she has had luck with megace (spelling?). Congrats on the clear PET scan, my mom has her first one next week. Cross fingers.

Dear Marion,

If your scans are clear, and you've been on Iressa since August 2004, I don't understand why you are still having so much trouble eating and not feeling well. It sounds like there might be something else going on. Have you talked to the doctor about it yet?

You got a lot of good suggestions here, and I don't have anything to add, other than maybe looking a little deeper into what might be causing the eating and not feeling well.

Prayers for some answers very soon, and that you get to feeling better even sooner.

Love,

Peggy

Marion,

Most insurance companies will allow for a consult with a nutritionist, who can help you get the most bang for your buck ( good calories per mouthful).

Megace is an appetite stimulating hormone. Very expensive, but helps some. Again, allowable by my insurance company (which was pretty cheap).

I understand about not wanting to eat, but if you are in pleasant circumstances and don't focus exactly on food, you might get a little more down by being distracted. So find a good book, a good companion, or a good movie on TV.

Follow your instincts in the grocery store. My instinct was iron-rich green vegetables and red meat. For some reason, I had a bit of trouble with chicken, of all things.

I remember being fatigued and sleeping 12 hours a day for a year or more after my treatments. It did get better, over time. This year should see you start to pick up quite a bit, but you have to eat GOOD for you stuff.

Feel better soon.

XXOXOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Marion - such good news about your scans. I've been on Iressa since November 2004 and will have second set of scans on 4/25 - I'm so hopeful they'll be clear as the ones in January were. I haven't had any loss of appetite, but can relate to the fatigue. Perhaps a nutrition consult via your oncologist could help? Are you have diarrhea? Could be the food is passing through your digestive system so fast you're not absorbing nutrients (can you tell I'm a nurse???).

I'm so happy for you. Be strong! Jane