Oncologist today

Guest Corwin

Guest Corwin

Had my initial meeting with the Oncologist. Good guy! Dialed in, and had taken the time to get familiar with my case; excellent start! He's also a fly fisherman...

I finally got to see all of the scans. Amazing technology! We are blessed to live in an age where such testing is widely available.

The diagnosis is another (new occurance) Squamous Cell Carcinoma. It's about 4 to 4.5 cm in diameter and is close to the chest wall. Cannot tell on the scans if its attached or not.

For now, they want me to see a chest surgeon, and see if he thinks it's operable. If not, the plan is to attack it with chemo and Rad Therapy.

The good news is that radiation would be much less, 4000 vs 7000, than what I had back in 1998. The chemo would be much less debilitating as well.

I'm not very inclined to allow surgery, unless it is absolutely life saving in nature. I've had enough invasive procedures to not be in a hurry to do it again. I'll most definitely follow the best medical advice, but it will take some selling to convince me to do it.

So, we got a bunch of answers today, but have more answers to obtain. Not sure how long it will take to get the consult, but hopefully it will be soon...

In the interim, life goes on...

Thanks folks...

It sounds like you are in good hands. I don't blame you for not wanting surgery. Sounds like you've been through this before, sorry I don't know your history, but it sounds like you are a fighter.

Good luck w/the surgeon and keep us posted.

TAnn

Corwin - Glad you finally got some answers. I am also in the Vancouver area. I pm'd you. Please read. My moms tumor was by her chest wall and was just touching it so they did chemo/rad then they did surgery now they are doing two more rounds of chemo to be sure it is gone. Is your tumor considered a superior sulcus tumor? Not sure if all that are by chest wall are SST or not just curious.

Corwin,

We have a similar history. I had the mandible split, but did not need the jaw replaced. Anyway, do not rule the surgery out, it is much easier than what you have been through. I've included my history. If anything in there parallels your situation send me a PM and maybe I can share some thoughts or experiences. As a final observation on surgery, it is a good thing with lung cancer and not everyone has the option. Again, rule nothing out!

Glenn