Excited about new volunteer position

Jana_W

Hi all

Not sure if you all remember Karen and I placing several posts earlier about the lack of support and advocacy for people affected by lung cancer in Australia. For instance, no organisation recognises Lung Cancer Awareness Month, and when I approached our state Cancer Council they told me they were not going to be doing anything about it. So I have been lobbying with the Cancer Council (to no avail) and then moved on to the Australian Lung Foundation. After much discussion and emailing with them, they seemed to be interested in doing something about this situation.

Last week I got a phone call from them and they want to fly me over to Brisbane (on the other side of Australia from where I live), to attend a National Meeting of the State Co-ordinators as they would like me to be the State Co-ordinator for my state. It is a voluntary position and I am soooooooooo excited about it. Yay! Maybe I can do some good! :D

Just wanted to share my news. Thanks for all the help and support.

Jana

xxx

Thanks Katie :D

I am sure I will be asking you for advice/help along the way. I am so excited at the prospect of being in a better position to help advocate for people affected by lung cancer and to raise the awareness in the community of lung cancer. They are wanting to set up lung cancer support groups in my state, so I am keen to be able to direct people to your website for support and information. I have also been thinking about the clear wristbands and promoting them locally. Will let you know more after the meeting next week.

Thanks again.

Jana

xx